Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
New features of Word???
Thread poster: Ron Stelter
Ron Stelter  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:54
Partial member (2003)
German to English
Oct 4, 2007

These are more like "mini-questions": I just recently got the newest version of Word. To be honest, I don't like it much as it seems to be brutal to find anything that I regularly use. I've been clicking around, but can't seem to find the word/character counter and the "change languages" button (for spell-checks, changing quotation marks around, etc.)

Would anyone know where these buttons are?

Thanks.

[Edited at 2007-10-04 15:29]

Direct link Reply with quote

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
German to English
Which version? Oct 4, 2007

Please specify the version.

lingomania
Local time: 18:54
Italian to English
right-click?? Oct 4, 2007

Once a colleague of mine showed me a trick on the toolbar....he right-clicked on the toolbar itself, on the top and as if by magic, a complete toolbar turned up!

Rob

Gabriella Fisichella  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:54
German to Italian
+ ...
Word 2007? Oct 4, 2007

Hello Ron,

I've got an Italian version of Word 2007, but I still will try and help you.
The word counter button can be found in the Edit tab (I hope it is called so), the one before View. The option to set the language is also there, exactly above the word counter button. Please let me know if you could find both options.

Cheers
Gabriella

[Edited at 2007-10-04 15:38]

Giuliana d'Orazi Flavoni
Italy
Italian to English
I assume it's vista isn't it? Oct 4, 2007

I have to admit I don't like vista much either, although I am slowly getting used to it

Let me see if I can answer your question.

1) The word/character counter is in the lower left hand side. It always shows the word count, but if you want to see the character count as well you have to click on it to open it.

2) The change languages button is next to the word cound button. Just click on it to change languages.

...I don't know if they're somewhere else as well, but I've been using them from there.

Anyway, HTH!

Good luck,
Giuliana

Partial member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
It's Word 2007 Oct 4, 2007

It's Word 2007 from the Microsoft Office Home & Student package

Giuliana d'Orazi Flavoni wrote:

I have to admit I don't like vista much either, although I am slowly getting used to it

Let me see if I can answer your question.

1) The word/character counter is in the lower left hand side. It always shows the word count, but if you want to see the character count as well you have to click on it to open it.

2) The change languages button is next to the word cound button. Just click on it to change languages.

...I don't know if they're somewhere else as well, but I've been using them from there.

Anyway, HTH!

Good luck,
Giuliana

Partial member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Actually, Gabriella... Oct 4, 2007

My buttons going across the top say:

Home
Insert
Page Layout
References
Mailings
Review
View
Add-ins

Then below this, in somewhat helter-skelter fashion from the left, there are:

The spell-check (there is a drop-down box to the right, but curiously only seems to have a few languages listed), then

Research
Thesaurus
Translate

Then several more columns going to the right.

At the bottom, underneath the sections going from the left:

Proofing
Comments
Tracking
Changes
Compare
Protect

I hope Bill Gates think's this is all "new and improved" because I might beg to differ....

Gabriella Fisichella wrote:

Hello Ron,

I've got an Italian version of Word 2007, but I still will try and help you.
The word counter button can be found in the Edit tag (I hope it is called so), the one before View. The option to set the language is also there, exactly above the word counter button. Please let me know if you could find both options.

Cheers
Gabriella

Partial member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I think I've found the word/character count Oct 4, 2007

I don't know if it was showing up before, but now it shows the word count at the bottom of each page. If you click on this, it gives you the other statistics.

Partial member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Changing languages Oct 4, 2007

I've found the spell-check which is quite prominently displayed, but I'm still not sure how to switch the language over.

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 15:54
English to Indonesian
+ ...
setting language in word 2k7 Oct 4, 2007

Ron Stelter wrote:

I've found the spell-check which is quite prominently displayed, but I'm still not sure how to switch the language over.

review - set language (the globe and check mark icon). or you just press alt + r + u.

Partial member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Mulyadi Oct 4, 2007

Yes, that worked. That answered all my questions. Have a good day or evening, as the case may be.

Partial member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Another mini-question: Oct 4, 2007

My eyesight isn't the best these days. So I always like to make the words bigger by using View. (I'm not legally blind or anything like that where they have to be huge, but it does seem to kind of cut down on wear-and-tear on the eyes and headaches.) In any event, usually I make all the text "text-width". Or sometimes change the percentage to 150% or 200%. You can still do the same things in the Word 2007, but it doesn't seem to make the letters substantially bigger. I think the problem is that the toolbar above is so much bigger than before that you really can't make that smaller to make the text bigger.

I mean, I can make the text bigger, but it doesn't seem to be as big as before.

Any suggestions?

Partial member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Another mini-question: Oct 4, 2007

I know on Proz.com, if you don't like the new look of the web site, you can revert back to the original look. Is it possible to do that in Word 2007 or not possible at all?

Ron Stelter wrote:

My eyesight isn't the best these days. So I always like to make the words bigger by using View. (I'm not legally blind or anything like that where they have to be huge, but it does seem to kind of cut down on wear-and-tear on the eyes and headaches.) In any event, usually I make all the text "text-width". Or sometimes change the percentage to 150% or 200%. You can still do the same things in the Word 2007, but it doesn't seem to make the letters substantially bigger. I think the problem is that the toolbar above is so much bigger than before that you really can't make that smaller to make the text bigger.

I mean, I can make the text bigger, but it doesn't seem to be as big as before.

Any suggestions?

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 15:54
English to Indonesian
+ ...
if this is for reading... Oct 4, 2007

try full screen reading in the view tab/ribbon?, it's in the document views box. or, again, you can press alt + w + f.
in this mode, you can increase text size inside the view options. no pressing alt button alternative for this one apparently.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Word 2007 is quite good once you get used to it Oct 4, 2007

Firstly, in the top right-hand corner of the screen you will see a tiny question mark. Click on that and it will open a box for you to ask your question. It is actually quite useful.

At the bottom of the screen on the left, if you click around you will get both the functions for changing the language and the word/line count, etc.

At the bottom of the screen on the right, if you click around you will get the menu for magnifying the document, to exactly the size you please, whether it be 120%, 150%, 200%....

If you click on the Start Menu (first one in the row), you will get a couple of menus in the bottom row which are useful for us, namely for changing the font and type size, raising or lowering characters, etc. and the other one for paragraph settings, line spacing, etc.

If you click on the second menu, you will be able to find the settings to add page numbers to the document.

Then, if you click on the third menu along, you will get, in the bottom line, the menu for setting how many centimetres the margins of your page should be, etc.

If you click on the fourth menu along, you will get, from there, the menu for the footnotes.

Any other questions, please write to me. I have used it since June and know it inside-out by now.

Astrid

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New features of Word???

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs