https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/86545-online_registration_required.html

Online registration required
Thread poster: Martin Wenzel
Martin Wenzel
Martin Wenzel
Germany
Local time: 11:57
English to German
+ ...
Oct 14, 2007

I want to buy a software on ebay, but it says something like product can only be activated if registered online...

I would like to understand the thinking of the manufacturer behind this as this seems to be a fairly new tendency. Online software registration was not compulsory before for any of the software products I have ever bought...I always had a choice...and I've always opted out because I get enough spam already...

Is this because:

1. The manufacture
... See more
I want to buy a software on ebay, but it says something like product can only be activated if registered online...

I would like to understand the thinking of the manufacturer behind this as this seems to be a fairly new tendency. Online software registration was not compulsory before for any of the software products I have ever bought...I always had a choice...and I've always opted out because I get enough spam already...

Is this because:

1. The manufacturer wants to protect himself against software pirating
2. I will be getting unsolicited future product information
3. Will be bombarded with upgrades
4. The manufacturer wants personal information, so they can sell them to others...
5. Another step into the future to create a transparent world

Or a bit of all of it...

I really don't like the idea, so I guess the only choice I have is not to buy the product...

Martin
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Legitimate protection against pirating Oct 14, 2007

The choice is yours, of course, but I really don't think one can object to a software publishing using this method to protect themselves against piracy — which despite the romantic name, and recent associations with Cap'n Johnny Depp, is still THEFT!

On-line registration is one of the simplest ways for a publisher to authenticate copies of software, and not too easy to circumvent.

I have bought a number of pieces of software this way, and apart from helpful informatio
... See more
The choice is yours, of course, but I really don't think one can object to a software publishing using this method to protect themselves against piracy — which despite the romantic name, and recent associations with Cap'n Johnny Depp, is still THEFT!

On-line registration is one of the simplest ways for a publisher to authenticate copies of software, and not too easy to circumvent.

I have bought a number of pieces of software this way, and apart from helpful information about upgrades and new products, but I have not (as far as I am aware) been subjected to any spam from such sources.

So if the software is what you want, I don't think you should let the registration issue deter you — it's a step towards fighting piracy that we can all participate in.
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:57
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Perhaps, but it raises concerns Oct 15, 2007

I understand that the idea of privacy is considered antiquated, especially here in the U.S. where we have few privacy laws to speak of. But I really don't think it's anyone's business what products I have purchased, even if it's the product's manufacturer, such as Sony or Microsoft.

The difference, of course, is that Sony sells its DVD players, televisions, etc., outright, while software companies merely "license" the product to you.

My main objection to mandatory onlin
... See more
I understand that the idea of privacy is considered antiquated, especially here in the U.S. where we have few privacy laws to speak of. But I really don't think it's anyone's business what products I have purchased, even if it's the product's manufacturer, such as Sony or Microsoft.

The difference, of course, is that Sony sells its DVD players, televisions, etc., outright, while software companies merely "license" the product to you.

My main objection to mandatory online registration is that people should have the ability to run stand-alone machines if they want to. For a variety of reasons, including data security, my main work PC has never been connected to the internet and probably never will be. Fortunately, all the products I currently use have the option of registering by phone (anonymously, in some cases) and then keying in a registration number.

However, as more products start requiring the PC to be online, I'll probably stop using them and switch to products from more privacy-friendly software companies.
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Privacy issue Oct 15, 2007

I see your point, Steve, but at the same time, I have nothing to hide, so I don't have issues with privacy.
Of course, when asked to fill in silly questionnaires, I just enter rubbish.

As far as connecting the machine to the interent is concerened, I quite understand your qualms — but even though I don't use them all for internet connection, as a matter of course I always maintain internet connectivity on all my machines; after all, what about software that has to be downloa
... See more
I see your point, Steve, but at the same time, I have nothing to hide, so I don't have issues with privacy.
Of course, when asked to fill in silly questionnaires, I just enter rubbish.

As far as connecting the machine to the interent is concerened, I quite understand your qualms — but even though I don't use them all for internet connection, as a matter of course I always maintain internet connectivity on all my machines; after all, what about software that has to be downloaded in the first place?

For me, it's really not a big issue — the only thing I don't like is the boringly complicated download procedures that some companies employ, presumably in an attempt to improve product security.
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:57
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Download-only software Oct 15, 2007

Tony M wrote:

course I always maintain internet connectivity on all my machines; after all, what about software that has to be downloaded in the first place?

If it has a downloadable, self-contained installer, I download it on this computer and, after scanning it for viruses, known trojans, etc., I transfer it to my work computer. The only problem is interactive installers, which need to hit a server either to pull down bits of the program or to send registration and other information. I simply don't use such products, and support the competing programs instead.

Atena Hensch
Atena Hensch  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 21:57
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
Mozilla Firefox Oct 16, 2007

if you search the name of the company with "Mozilla Firefox", you will see that the company either will be shown by a green tick (which means that they are safe and they don't send you spam, bugs, emails, etc) or it may come with a red sign which means they sends you all sort of things or emails, etc or the name of the company may be appeared with ? sign which means that firefox hasn't done any investigation on the company.
cheers
Atena

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Online registration required

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »