Thread poster: Martin Wenzel
Martin Wenzel
Martin Wenzel
Germany
Local time: 14:32
English to German
+ ...
Oct 19, 2007

We all know what Mr DAEMON stands for...

[He's the "guy" behind our email systems making sure our emails go where they are supposed to go...]

I am using a paid-for hotmail account, but am encountering lots of problems because their server has been down here in Morocco rather frequently over the last couple of days, at least that's my assumption...

I am getting this strange message, whenever an email could not be delivered, but am not quite sure how t
... See more
We all know what Mr DAEMON stands for...

[He's the "guy" behind our email systems making sure our emails go where they are supposed to go...]

I am using a paid-for hotmail account, but am encountering lots of problems because their server has been down here in Morocco rather frequently over the last couple of days, at least that's my assumption...

I am getting this strange message, whenever an email could not be delivered, but am not quite sure how to interpret it...

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

XXXXXXXXX

Remote host said: 550 Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy
reasons. A block has been placed against your IP address because we
have received complaints concerning mail coming from that IP address. We
recommend enrolling in our Junk E-Mail Reporting Program.

XXXXXXXXXXXX

Is there somebody tinkering with my email address or is this just an automatically created email by the DAEMON indicating that the server is down again?

Why enrol in their junk e-mail reporting program?

I'd be grateful for helpful rather than funny suggestions because I need to read it all. Thanks.

Martin
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Change provider, at least for outgoing mail Oct 19, 2007

Hi Martin,

hate to have to say this, but there's not a lot you can do.

The message means the server your account is using has probably been used for sending spam. 550 means: hey server, we don't like you anymore, you've been bad.

You cannot enroll in the Junk Mail Program, the server should.

Meanwhile, you should try to find another provider for your email, at least for outgoing mail. Not sure what your options are in Morocco....

G
... See more
Hi Martin,

hate to have to say this, but there's not a lot you can do.

The message means the server your account is using has probably been used for sending spam. 550 means: hey server, we don't like you anymore, you've been bad.

You cannot enroll in the Junk Mail Program, the server should.

Meanwhile, you should try to find another provider for your email, at least for outgoing mail. Not sure what your options are in Morocco....

Good luck!
Margreet

[Edited at 2007-10-19 09:11]
Collapse

Martin Wenzel
Martin Wenzel
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Has somebody tinkered with it? Oct 19, 2007

Thanks Margareet,

I have other free email accounts I can use. It's annoying because this one is a paid for account and it should be better protected.

Let's say if I sent you tons of emails (heaven forbid) that the server might identify as spam, will it block your email account?

Is that what it boils down to?

Martin

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
No one's tinkered with it Oct 19, 2007

It's nothing to do with you, everything to do with someone else who uses the same server. It happens to me with one of my clients every now and then: they have an over-zealous spam detector which blocks an entire server if they receive anything perceived as spam from someone else from that server.

You could try again the following day, as sometimes the block is only in place for 24 hours.

Martin Wenzel
Martin Wenzel
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have noticed it's back to normal Oct 19, 2007

after a few hours or so...But I cannot keep telling me clients don't use hotmail today use yahoo instead, and one day later now you can switch back to hotmail again.

I was just wondering if some Moroccan pirate could block my email account by sending me lots of spam?

Martin

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Not you, your server has been abused Oct 19, 2007

Martin Wenzel wrote:

Thanks Margareet,

I have other free email accounts I can use. It's annoying because this one is a paid for account and it should be better protected.

Let's say if I sent you tons of emails (heaven forbid) that the server might identify as spam, will it block your email account?

Is that what it boils down to?

Martin

Some spam has passed through your provider's server, so it got banned, apparently for a limited period. If this keeps coming up, you'd better contact your service provider, they should be able to do something about it.

This is about outgoing mail only, isn't it? Then your clients don't need to switch, just you...

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Yes, that was my experience Oct 19, 2007

Margreet Logmans wrote:

This is about outgoing mail only, isn't it? Then your clients don't need to switch, just you...

My client could still email me, but I couldn't email them back the same day - had to resort to the good old-fashioned telephone.

Martin Wenzel
Martin Wenzel
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's about outgoing mail... Oct 19, 2007

Yes, your thinking is correct, I can still contact my client, but the client cannot contact me for the day because I cannot log in...

I chatted with some local cyber nuts here, and it is perfectly possible to spam somebody if, let's say, a pirate has decided to do so. I am aware of the fact that sometimes people here in Morocco get a kick out of this simply because they have nothing else to do...

While hotmail does not provide spam protection, yahoo does.

S
... See more
Yes, your thinking is correct, I can still contact my client, but the client cannot contact me for the day because I cannot log in...

I chatted with some local cyber nuts here, and it is perfectly possible to spam somebody if, let's say, a pirate has decided to do so. I am aware of the fact that sometimes people here in Morocco get a kick out of this simply because they have nothing else to do...

While hotmail does not provide spam protection, yahoo does.

So I may ask my clients to always carboncopy me on my other email address in the future, trusting that I can at least log into one of my accounts.

Thanks anyway.

Martin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Messages from the DAEMON

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »