Mobile menu

On-screen page numbers disappeared from Word
Thread poster: Armorel Young

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:24
Member (2004)
German to English
Oct 21, 2007

My Word documents always had a little box at the bottom saying something like "page 5/37", which told you what page of the document you were working on. (I'm referring to the display of the page numbers on-screen, not to any numbering on the printed document). That information has disappeared and I feel lost without it.

It's possible that it hasn't totally vanished but has simply disappeared behind the Start bar at the bottom of the screen (I did have problems with finding that my Word window had gone all small and I needed to re-size it) - but as I can't get "behind" the Start bar I can't find any way to get the bottom of the document back. Any ideas?

Direct link Reply with quote

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:24
French to English
+ ...
Use 'maximize' command Oct 21, 2007

Normally, if you use the 'maximize' button (at top right of screen), any part of the window hidden behind the task bar etc. ought to be revealed again.

Also note that in certain of the Word display modes (Web, specifically), the page numbers are not displayed in the status bar.

I suppose it is also possible that you have indavertently turned of display of the Word status bar?

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:24
Member (2004)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Wonderful - that works Oct 21, 2007

Brilliant - you've hit on it exactly. "Maximise" does indeed bring back all those things at the bottom of the page. So simple - and yet I hadn't thought of that because the page was already occupying the whole screen, so there seemed no need to maximise.

Many thanks for such a prompt and helpful answer!

Tony M wrote:

Normally, if you use the 'maximize' button (at top right of screen), any part of the window hidden behind the task bar etc. ought to be revealed again.

Also note that in certain of the Word display modes (Web, specifically), the page numbers are not displayed in the status bar.

I suppose it is also possible that you have indavertently turned of display of the Word status bar?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

On-screen page numbers disappeared from Word

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs