Umutay Midinova
Umutay Midinova
Kyrgyzstan
Local time: 10:12
English to Kirghiz
+ ...
Oct 25, 2007

Hello all!

In the course of time I started to feel the need to organise invoices, since my job consists of small but frequent translations with separate invoice for each. For some time I am feeling like missing some of them. The problem is not with recovery yet, but trying to keep them in order on this occasion. Invoice templates downloaded contain items which are excessive, and features I need mostly are absent.

The ideal will be not a flat blank sheet of paper, but th
... See more
Hello all!

In the course of time I started to feel the need to organise invoices, since my job consists of small but frequent translations with separate invoice for each. For some time I am feeling like missing some of them. The problem is not with recovery yet, but trying to keep them in order on this occasion. Invoice templates downloaded contain items which are excessive, and features I need mostly are absent.

The ideal will be not a flat blank sheet of paper, but these provided with kind of storage and automated putting data into predermined fields.

How do you deal with invoices? Applications like Translaion300 are to heavy for my wallet and the scope of my job. Some lite variants are welcome.

Links to them will be highly appreciated

Regards,

Umutay
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:12
Polish to English
+ ...
Invoicing freeware Oct 25, 2007

Type that in your favourite search engine. Lots of choice.
I don't use invoicing software, because I only write about 30-40 invoices each year.
I write my invoices using a semi-automated MS Word template - date, calculation of VAT and grand total etc.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

[Edited at 2007-10-25 10:45]

Umutay Midinova
Umutay Midinova
Kyrgyzstan
English to Kirghiz
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you but Oct 25, 2007

it is what I have been doing for two days. All manufacturers think, that since there are invoices concerned, some money earned, and they start with an semi-automated blank for 10 USD, and it doesn't cover my needs. Concerning the MS Office template, I have MS Office 2002 and no offers like this.

Thank you for your response

Umutay

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Database reports Oct 25, 2007

Depending on how many invoices per year you have in mind, you might consider an invoice as a "report of a database record". Perhaps the easiest way for most people would be an MS Word document taking data from an MS Excel table via mailmerge, or from an MS Access database (if you need more complex or automated tasks); or invoices themselves can be reports within MS Access, without using Word at all (which is the approach I use).

AFAIK, the current version of OpenOffice, which is f
... See more
Depending on how many invoices per year you have in mind, you might consider an invoice as a "report of a database record". Perhaps the easiest way for most people would be an MS Word document taking data from an MS Excel table via mailmerge, or from an MS Access database (if you need more complex or automated tasks); or invoices themselves can be reports within MS Access, without using Word at all (which is the approach I use).

AFAIK, the current version of OpenOffice, which is for free, should enable you to apply this solution as well.

HTH
Antonin
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Word Template Oct 25, 2007

Umutay:

I made that template myself. I did not buy it or find it on the web. When you populate the Word Address Book with addresses of your customers, after a while it will be just a question of selecting the right customer and all the information will appear in your invoice.
Word 2002, and all other versions are quite capable of this, but you have to build your own template.
The only thing I can't think of right now is how to assign each new document (invoice) a sequent
... See more
Umutay:

I made that template myself. I did not buy it or find it on the web. When you populate the Word Address Book with addresses of your customers, after a while it will be just a question of selecting the right customer and all the information will appear in your invoice.
Word 2002, and all other versions are quite capable of this, but you have to build your own template.
The only thing I can't think of right now is how to assign each new document (invoice) a sequential number, but I am sure it can be done.

P.A.S.
Collapse

Umutay Midinova
Umutay Midinova
Kyrgyzstan
English to Kirghiz
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Help will arrive Oct 25, 2007

Thank you Antonin and Pavel.

I don't feel able to make two other applications to work together in any combinations, either Excel with Access, or Word with Excel. Even stating the task horrifies me. In any application I work just at the level: Open-Write-Copy-Paste-Save.
OpenOrg is for Linux OS. And its templates are of unsupported format, of course.

And who knows the needs of a translators better than the translator itself?

There is a special applic
... See more
Thank you Antonin and Pavel.

I don't feel able to make two other applications to work together in any combinations, either Excel with Access, or Word with Excel. Even stating the task horrifies me. In any application I work just at the level: Open-Write-Copy-Paste-Save.
OpenOrg is for Linux OS. And its templates are of unsupported format, of course.

And who knows the needs of a translators better than the translator itself?

There is a special application for those in a similiar position.
His author is modest member of the Proz.com

www.proz.com/profile/21654
www.wintitus.de/

Unfortunately the use of the application is restricted to those speaking German. English is planning, and it is not downloadable.
But worth to make notice for future use, when authors do something to near customers.
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
OpenOffice Oct 25, 2007

Umutay Midinova wrote:

I do not understand your statement. There is a version of OpenOffice usable under Windows, of course. And what do you mean by "unsupported format" here?

More generally, you can simply copy-paste your invoices and be happy as long as there are a few dozen a year.

If their number is higher, an automated solution will make your life much more comfortable. It will be up to you, as in many other software situations, whether you pay a "sweat-fee" or with money, of course.

Antonin

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Start by defining what you need Oct 25, 2007

I found myself in a very similar position, faced with packages that offered so many complicated things I didn't need, and started out by working out exactly what I did need!

In my case, I raise over 100 invoices a year, but only for a limited number of customers. Like Umutay, I don't feel very confident performing linking operations between different applications.

So I maintain my invoicing details in an Excel spreadsheet, and simply manually copy the figures as
... See more
I found myself in a very similar position, faced with packages that offered so many complicated things I didn't need, and started out by working out exactly what I did need!

In my case, I raise over 100 invoices a year, but only for a limited number of customers. Like Umutay, I don't feel very confident performing linking operations between different applications.

So I maintain my invoicing details in an Excel spreadsheet, and simply manually copy the figures as calculated into a Word document; in fact, if I formatted my spreadsheet slightly differently, I could actually just copy and paste a whole entry across into Word.

It would also be easy enough to set up a table in Word to do the most elementary calculations like sub-totalling and totalling, for example.

And finally, I don't have enough customers to be worth setting up a database especially for that — so I simply save one Word invoice template doc (I don't even bother to save it as a .dot template as such) for each customer, simply to save my re-typing their details each time.

Oh, and by the way: OpenOffice isn't only for Linux, you know!
Collapse

Laurence Bourel
Laurence Bourel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Excel model Oct 26, 2007

there is a great and simple model in Excel 98 (which I use) ; I don't know if it is available in other versions

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Templates Oct 26, 2007

Templates are available within the various Office applications (Word, Excel), as Laurence said.
There are also free templates available on the Microsoft website:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT101172551033.aspx

Have a look. Maybe you will find something to your taste.

P.A.S.

Umutay Midinova
Umutay Midinova
Kyrgyzstan
English to Kirghiz
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great choice Oct 26, 2007

Pavel, thank you for the link -- really impressive choice. This called 'Finance charge' is suited to our needs more. Stored for future use -- when I will launch the company

Antonin, I said 'Unsupported format' since .stw extension looks strange in the Windows environment. In what an application is it opened?

And what I learned for me in the first place, invoices need to be assigned a number in the first p
... See more
Pavel, thank you for the link -- really impressive choice. This called 'Finance charge' is suited to our needs more. Stored for future use -- when I will launch the company

Antonin, I said 'Unsupported format' since .stw extension looks strange in the Windows environment. In what an application is it opened?

And what I learned for me in the first place, invoices need to be assigned a number in the first place, not to be overwritten again and again. Not maintaining this rule caused a real mess with me.

Thank you all

Umutay
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
OpenOffice Oct 26, 2007

Umutay Midinova wrote:

Umutay

Well, it shoud not come as a surprise that OpenOfice documents should be opened in OpenOffice ; this software can be downloaded from http://www.openoffice.org for free.

OpenOffice saves in its native formats, but can also open and save documents in MS Office ones.

BTW, .stw is an older format (OO 1); now it should be .odt (in OO 2).

Antonin

[Edited at 2007-10-26 11:42]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

invoice template

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »