Thread poster: Doron Greenspan MITI

Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 10:22
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Nov 13, 2007

One of my client provided me with a huge Excel file containing the new MS Vista glossary (Eng>Heb).
The thing is, it's way over 65536 lines long, so my Excel 2003 won't accept it, and only presents its first 65536 lines.

The MS error message suggests saving it as text file (which I did) and breaking it into 'edible' chunks.

Any idea on how I can do that efficiently with the text file?

Thanks, Doron

Direct link Reply with quote

Sabine Schlottky  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:22
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Use a search program Nov 13, 2007

When I have to work with large Excel files like this, I usually don't open them, but search them using a search program such as "Search & Replace" or "InfoRapid". This is maybe not 100% satisfying, but as those programs always give you some context, I have considered them quite useful.

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
File Splitter Nov 13, 2007

File Splitter is a freeware program which does not require installation and can be used to split files to multiple chunks as well as to merge multiple chunks into a single file.

www.filesplitter.org

I tried it with a huge .txt file and it worked fine, I just had to add the extension .txt to the chunks.

[Edited at 2007-11-13 20:59]

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
ApSIC Xbench Nov 14, 2007

You didn't specify the file format, but I suppose it's .csv. It's no use opening a huge MS glossary in Excel. You can use a general search program, as Sabine suggests, or even better a specialized tool, such as ApSIC Xbench. It allows you to search a glossary (or several glossaries) by selecting a word or phrase in your editor and pressing a hotkey. It shows fuzzy matches too and it can also automatically replace a term with the translation, also via a hotkey.

BTW, File Splitter will just chop the file into several smaller pieces regardless of the file structure (for copying to a removable drive with small capacity, for example) and that is not what you need.

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Access Nov 14, 2007

I use Microsoft Access for files that are too big for Excel.

Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow Nov 14, 2007

What a great collection of ideas!
Many thanks, Sabine, Harry, Hynek and Wilmer - I'll try them all to get it right for my elephant csv, starting with Access, which I already have.

Doron

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:22
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
XBench or S&R Nov 14, 2007

Either XBench (which is free) or Funduc's Search & Replace (which is shareware and only costs 40 dollars or so) are much better than using Excel to find information in the Microsoft glossaries: using Excel you only get a hit at a time, while XBench and S&R show all the results at the same time, in addition to which they permit very complex searches (e.g., find all the strings in which "save" is not followed in the same string by "file", and similar).

Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Riccardo Nov 16, 2007

I will get that tool - seems it's worth trying!

Doron

Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
XBench does the trick (well) Nov 23, 2007

Just a final note to say that I tried XBench, which has no problem dealing with that huge glossary, and it's working fine.

There's also great support from the creators, who helped me sort a problem with the display of Hebrew fonts.

Highly recommended!

Doron

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to convert huge MS Vista glossary into Excel

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs