Thread poster: Evgenia Mussuri
Evgenia Mussuri
Evgenia Mussuri
United States
Local time: 10:59
English to Russian
+ ...
Nov 19, 2007

I noticed that recently, for about 3 past month, whenever I am attaching a doc. file using Yahoo mail, it does not go through or cannot be opened or, if opened, shows odd symbols.
Has any one had a similar problem? I use Windows XP, always run a virus and spyware checks.
I am not sure where to look, either the problem is in Word or Yahoo mail. However, when I use other email programs the same thing happens, just not that often.
Any ideas what can it be? Thanks for your atten
... See more
I noticed that recently, for about 3 past month, whenever I am attaching a doc. file using Yahoo mail, it does not go through or cannot be opened or, if opened, shows odd symbols.
Has any one had a similar problem? I use Windows XP, always run a virus and spyware checks.
I am not sure where to look, either the problem is in Word or Yahoo mail. However, when I use other email programs the same thing happens, just not that often.
Any ideas what can it be? Thanks for your attention!
Collapse

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 21:59
English to Indonesian
+ ...
zip it Nov 19, 2007

have you tried zipping the file first?

Evgenia Mussuri
Evgenia Mussuri
United States
Local time: 10:59
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
zipping Nov 19, 2007

seems to work. But the thing is that some clients ask me specifically not to zip it, because they want to receive it as doc file. But, you are right, zipping could be a good solution.

Haiyang Ai (X)
Haiyang Ai (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:59
English to Chinese
+ ...
Gmail Nov 19, 2007

Google's email has been well received. Try it out? Http://gmail.google.com

-------------
English to Chinese translator
www.chineservice.com

hazmatgerman (X)
hazmatgerman (X)
Local time: 16:59
English to German
Codepage conflict Nov 20, 2007

We've sometimes seen Word docs sent from German PCs to South American PCs (and vice versa) appended to email suffer from character miscoding when being opened. The only way out - sometimes though not always - was zipping the docs. It seems to have to do with the different character codings used in different languages' keyboards. It should not happen with ANSII but does.
Regards
M.A.T.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Attachement problems

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »