Mobile menu

Text box deletes when hitting DEL key or backspace - normal?
Thread poster: Heike Reagan

Heike Reagan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:04
Member (2004)
German to English
Nov 30, 2007

Hello all,
I searched through the forums but could not find an answer to my problem yet (not sure if there even is one since my whole Word application seems to have errors that other users have never heard of).

I am working on this *wonderful* Word document (72 files, acutally - lovely) that are ALL with LOTS of textboxes. The formatting has to be kept since that was apparently the whole idea behind the text boxes.
I have resigned myself to the fact that I can't use WordFast even though it's a heavily repetitive text.

My problem is this: When I write in a textbox and I use the "backspace" or "Del" button to delete a text and I hit that button more than once, then the whole textbox is deleted. If I hit it only once, then the respective character is gone plus the document is always again at the very top (which is annoying if I have to scroll back down constantly). Soooo I'm trying to control my fingers and type without errors....only solution I found so far.

I don't remember that it's always been that way with textboxes, I now use MS Word 2003. Is this normal and if not, any ideas on how to fix it?

[Edited at 2007-11-30 17:25]

Direct link Reply with quote

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:04
French to English
An idea Nov 30, 2007

You know that if your text boxes are of a decent size, a couple of sentences or more, and you have a TM that you could use (or a new one for this gig) then one approach is:
- highlight the text, copy and paste into a blank word document
- translate with WF
- clean up
- highlight the translated text & copy
- paste it over the text in the text box in the actual doc you're working on.

Repeat ad naseum. No need to save the "working" document you're using WF with unless you particularly want to, you could have a fresh doc for every text box, but the process does write to the TM so you can benefit from repetitions.

As for the delete key problem, I have the same phenomenon - 2 x delete button and bang goes the text box (luckily, Undo brings it back!), I've been living with it for a couple of months now, and would be interested to hear a solution

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:04
French to English
+ ...
Me too! Nov 30, 2007

I don't know if it has always been that way, and I don't know if there is a fix, but I find exactly the same thing with Word 2003. What happens is that after deleting the text, the box itself is left selected, so the next delete not unnaturally deletes it!

I don't know if it's any help, but in another thread, various people have come up with macros or other solutions for extracting all text from boxes and putting it back in again after translation!

I haven't tried these myself, so can't vouch for them, but it sounds as if it might be the solution to your problem.

United States
Member (2004)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 30, 2007

Charlie Bavington wrote:

You know that if your text boxes are of a decent size, a couple of sentences or more, and you have a TM that you could use (or a new one for this gig) then one approach is:
- highlight the text, copy and paste into a blank word document
- translate with WF
- clean up
- highlight the translated text & copy
- paste it over the text in the text box in the actual doc you're working on.

Repeat ad naseum. No need to save the "working" document you're using WF with unless you particularly want to, you could have a fresh doc for every text box, but the process does write to the TM so you can benefit from repetitions.

That's a good idea, thank you for pointing it out! At least it'll help with the annoying problem of the 'deleting textbox'!

As for the delete key problem, I have the same phenomenon - 2 x delete button and bang goes the text box (luckily, Undo brings it back!), I've been living with it for a couple of months now, and would be interested to hear a solution

It's good to know that it's not just me...sometimes I think MS is specifically trying to ruin my day
We should all ban together and ask MS for a patch/fix or whatever...then again, they'll just tell us to buy Vista and then not use any other software....but that's another topic....

Thanks for the help!
Heike

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:04
Swedish to English
+ ...
How about Shift + Ctrl + relevant arrow, then Delete? Nov 30, 2007

I haven't encountered this problem (I use Word 2000 and don't often translate tables), but couldn't this be a workaround?
Select the whole word/phrase (by holding down Shift + Ctrl and "hitting" the appropriate arrow). Then you would only need to "hit" Delete once to delete everything you need to remove.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
You can try using the "BlueCat" freeware Nov 30, 2007

http://www.volny.cz/ddaduc/werecat.html

HTH
Antonin

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:04
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
The wf-macro Dec 1, 2007

There used to be a macro for textboxes in the Wf-manual. I have never tried it out though. It should collect all boxes into a second file and back after translation.

You could combine the files into one and split again after you finish.
Cheers
Heinrich

Andrew Rink  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Werecat or latest WF Dec 1, 2007

As Antonín wrote, Werecat should be able to extract the text from textboxes and put it back in after cleanup.

Are you using the latest version of Wordfast (5.52zd I think)? It also works inside simple text boxes (make sure you mark the "Textboxes" tickbox in the Clean up dialog). I just tried it (abeit using Word 2007) and all you need to do is click on the textbox, then start translating with WF as you would normally, then go on to the next textbox or normal text. You'll have to make the textboxes visible by selecting the appropriate view in Word. When you've finished translating the file and select clean up, WF will clean up all text and text boxes (i.e. you don't need to do them individually).

Also, the pesky delete/backspace problem with Word 2003 has been done away with in Word 2007. It used to annoy me occasionally but luckily I rarely get textbox-infested files (famous last words).

Best regards,
Andrew

United States
Member (2004)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Antonin Dec 2, 2007

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

http://www.volny.cz/ddaduc/werecat.html

HTH
Antonin

This tool is awesome if one has to deal with textboxes!
Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text box deletes when hitting DEL key or backspace - normal?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs