Language reverts to English from French by default.
Thread poster: Odette Grille

Odette Grille  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:56
English to French
+ ...
Dec 28, 2007

Hi,

I tried everything, but the language checker wion't remain set on French and when I click to choose the French dictionary, it does not change to French but remains on the English dictionary.
I have set French by default in language under tools.
I am working with Word 2003 under Windows XP.
Any trick ?
Thanks
Ode

Direct link Reply with quote

Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:56
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Moving this thread... Dec 28, 2007

... to Office Applications forum

Thomas Ochiltree  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
Latin to English
+ ...
A suggestion Dec 28, 2007

I use Windows 2000 so it may not apply, but maybe it will.

I often overwrite texts in doing my translation and have had a similar problem of having the spell check flip bback to the original language. A trick I find works iss to first go into the document and hit "select all". Leaving it highlighted I then go to "set language" asnd enter the desired language (English in my case), being careful to see that the applet "do not check spelling or grammar" is not checked. If it is, I uncheck it. I then select "default" and answer "yes" when asked if I want the language entered to be the default language. I then hit OK, close the box and start the spell check. Usually works for me. Good luck.

Odette Grille  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Right on Thomas, Dec 28, 2007

That is what I finally imagined to try and it workrd !
But thanks Thomas. This confirms it seems the only possible way to go around the problem and we are both genius.
At first I though this would not work because I had not unclicked the do not check ...
Funny you specified !
Ode

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Language reverts to English from French by default.

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums