https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/93064-how_to_fix_normaldot_without_losing_all_personal_settings.html

How to fix normal.dot without losing all personal settings
Thread poster: Doron Greenspan MITI
Doron Greenspan MITI
Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 16:39
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Jan 1, 2008

Hi,

I hope you all have a great New Year's Day.
Well, I had too, until Word started playing up on me...

Suddenly a numbering like this ("1.1.1.1.1.1.1") appears on any new Word document (that is, one opened as Open New Document). If I delete this numbering and try to save it as a "document template" to replace normal.dot, I get an error ("Word cannot give a document the same name as an open document...").

So this is a real loop... I don't really want
... See more
Hi,

I hope you all have a great New Year's Day.
Well, I had too, until Word started playing up on me...

Suddenly a numbering like this ("1.1.1.1.1.1.1") appears on any new Word document (that is, one opened as Open New Document). If I delete this numbering and try to save it as a "document template" to replace normal.dot, I get an error ("Word cannot give a document the same name as an open document...").

So this is a real loop... I don't really want to create a fresh normal.dot - I created many macros and shortcuts in the current one.

Any idea on how to restore normal.dot to its former glory?

Btw, I did a system restore to before this happened - still no luck...

Thanks, Doron
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 15:39
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Save it as "normal_new.dot" Jan 1, 2008

Then close Word and rename Normal. dot to normal_old.dot and normal_new.dot to Normal.dot.

By the way, if you have this kind of heavily-customized Normal. dot, you should save it under a different name, say, monhtly, not to lose everyhting when things go wrong.

HTH

Antonin

Doron Greenspan MITI
Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 16:39
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried that, but... Jan 1, 2008

The newly created normal.dot is the default one; i.e. without all the personal settings.
For comparison - my original one was 230kb; the new one is a mere 36kb...

In the meantime, I moved a not-too-bad normal.dot from my laptop to my pc. I guess I'll discover what the missing macros were once I need them again...

Any feedback/new ideas welcome!

And I took your advice, Antonin, about saving the normal.dot more regularly!

Many thanks
... See more
The newly created normal.dot is the default one; i.e. without all the personal settings.
For comparison - my original one was 230kb; the new one is a mere 36kb...

In the meantime, I moved a not-too-bad normal.dot from my laptop to my pc. I guess I'll discover what the missing macros were once I need them again...

Any feedback/new ideas welcome!

And I took your advice, Antonin, about saving the normal.dot more regularly!

Many thanks, Doron
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to fix normal.dot without losing all personal settings

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »