Error in Microsoft Word spellchecker...
Thread poster: Paul Adie

Paul Adie  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 9, 2008

Dear All,

I'm having a problem with my spellchecker in Microsoft Word 2000 (Windows XP). I was translating a document in Tag Editor (Trados 7 Freelance), plugged in a USB device while running the spellchecker, and the computer crashed. Started the computer again, ran the spellchecker in Tag Editor, and now it just simply won't work - says there is an error with my custom dictionary (I prefer to use the Microsoft Word dictionary, that's as custom as it gets). So off I go and try to spellcheck a document using Word - I can't use the spellchecker there either! I put the original CD in, tried the 'repair' function, nothing, then reinstalled Word, nothing. Now when I try to spellcheck a document in Word I get a box saying 'Runtime error 5376...The custom dictionary is not available'. It has a box saying 'debug', so I clicked on it, and it takes me to a window I know nothing about, with something that looks similar to HTML and has a line highlighted in yellow.

I'm in a bit of a tizz. I have to send an unclean document to a client on Friday...can anyone help at all?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:41
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Try another spellchecker Jan 9, 2008

As an emergency measure, you might try this site:
from which you can download a spell checker usable in Word and many other applications.
I don't have any personal experience of it, but you can download it on a 7-day free trial, so if you don't like it you don't have to buy it, therefore using it on your current work wouldn't cost you anything. If you decide to keep it, it costs $29.97.

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:41
German to English
+ ...
possible source of help Jan 9, 2008

The second ref relates to Word for the Mac, but it might still be relevant.

Terry Richards
Local time: 03:41
French to English
+ ...
This should fix it Jan 10, 2008

Go to Tools ! Options | Spelling & Grammer tab

and click the Custom Dictionaries button.

In the dialog that appears, delete the offending dictionary(ies). If necessary, you can delete them all and create a new, empty, one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error in Microsoft Word spellchecker...

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs