Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 18:38
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
Feb 2, 2008

Dear colleagues,
My problem is as follows: I got MS Word 2003. As soon as I switch to Georgian (by pushing "Alt+Shift" I switch to Georgian), there applies the font Sylfaen. For the purposes of current project, I need to apply the Arial. However, as soon as I start typing, it automatically switches back to the Sylfaen. Please, kindly advise how I can keep the Arial in such case.
Regards,
Levan

[Edited at 2008-02-02 08:37]

Direct link Reply with quote

Bogdan Burghelea  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 17:38
English to German
+ ...
One possible explanation Feb 2, 2008

Levan Namoradze wrote:

Dear colleagues,
My problem is as follows: I got MS Word 2003. As soon as I switch to Georgian (by pushing "Alt+Shift" I switch to Georgian), there applies the font Sylfaen. For the purposes of current project, I need to apply the Arial. However, as soon as I start typing, it automatically switches back to the Sylfaen. Please, kindly advise how I can keep the Arial in such case.
Regards,
Levan

It could be because the "Detect the language automatically" function is enabled. To get rid of it, in Word, either double-click the small window that reads the selected language (by default "English (U. S.)", or go to the menu "Tools -> Language -> Set Language".

This will open a new smaller windows. The bottom of the window reads "Detect the language automatically", which you need to uncheck.

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:38
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Try to edit styles Feb 2, 2008

First, check the Normal (Обычный) style to see, if Sylfaen shows up for any option of that style (presumably, for complex writing). Change it accordingly.

Georgia
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did Feb 2, 2008

Following to your advise, I applied new style. However, as soon as I started typing in Georgian, it automatically went back to the Sylfaen.

Georgia
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One more Feb 2, 2008

All the above happens only in MS Word. As for MS Excel, there is no problem there. I can freely type in Georgian using the Arial font.

Georgia
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did Feb 2, 2008

Bogdan Burghelea wrote:

Levan Namoradze wrote:

Dear colleagues,
Regards,
Levan

It could be because the "Detect the language automatically" function is enabled. To get rid of it, in Word, either double-click the small window that reads the selected language (by default "English (U. S.)", or go to the menu "Tools -> Language -> Set Language".

This will open a new smaller windows. The bottom of the window reads "Detect the language automatically", which you need to uncheck.

I followed your advise, Bogdan, but the result is same.

Georgia
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
well Feb 2, 2008

May be I miss any special "Arial Unicode" font? I got the "Arial" attached to MS Office 2003. Should I install some "Arial Unicode"?

xxxtlmurray
Local time: 10:38
English
Be wary of Arial Unicode Feb 2, 2008

Levan Namoradze wrote:

May be I miss any special "Arial Unicode" font? I got the "Arial" attached to MS Office 2003. Should I install some "Arial Unicode"?

Regular Arial won't work for Georgian. But Arial Unicode is problematic, and even Microsoft says use it only when absolutely necessary and you have nothing else. Personally I would look for an PostScript-based OpenType (extension is .otf).

Georgia
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I see Feb 3, 2008

I see. I was requested to use that Arial by the Belgian client. Yesterday, I tried to learn more regarding the subject matter. However, I failed to get any good way out.

Maya Gorgoshidze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Member (2004)
English to Georgian
+ ...
The same encoding Feb 16, 2008

Arial and Sylfaen have the same encoding. I think the client asked to use Arial only for the encoding sake, e.g. to put the text on a website or to localize a software. Sylfaen will be seen correctly everywhere when Arial is chosen as a default font. You will never manage to show Arial instead of Sylfaen when typing with Georgian Unicode font in Word, but everything will be OK when copying the text from there. So feel free to use Sylfaen in Word and don't worry about this.

Sorry if I am late with my answer, but I noted this posing just now by a pure chance.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unicode advise required

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs