Thread poster: Uldis Liepkalns

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 06:32
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Feb 4, 2008

Hi all, the problem is that Russian spellchecker (additional one- and legal) will not work anymore after Office upgrade. I can't find that installation file any more (if there ever was one and not just the set of files- I don't remember in what form this additional language support came- it was years ago ), but the spellchecker files Office 2003 used are still there- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof.

I tried to correct the registry (according to instructions found in some blogs) to make the spellchecker work, but no success.

My best guess is that the above experience probably goes to all additional spellcheckers that were installed in Office 2003- does anyone have any experience and solution for that in Office 2007? Or is the only solution to purchase a new car (spellchecker in this case) every time MS paints new lines on the road?

Uldis

Direct link Reply with quote

René Stranz-Nikitin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 05:32
Czech to German
+ ...
I'm afraid you will have to buy the new car ... Feb 5, 2008

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

Hi all, the problem is that Russian spellchecker (additional one- and legal) will not work anymore after Office upgrade. I can't find that installation file any more (if there ever was one and not just the set of files- I don't remember in what form this additional language support came- it was years ago ), but the spellchecker files Office 2003 used are still there- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof.

I tried to correct the registry (according to instructions found in some blogs) to make the spellchecker work, but no success.

My best guess is that the above experience probably goes to all additional spellcheckers that were installed in Office 2003- does anyone have any experience and solution for that in Office 2007? Or is the only solution to purchase a new car (spellchecker in this case) every time MS paints new lines on the road?

Uldis

Hello Uldis!

I'm afraid you will be right, that we would have to buy the new car. Just remember all the complaints about SDLX Trados 2007 not working with Office 2007. But it is very clear, that in the end SDL will only say: "We never claimed that TWB from SDLX Trados 2007 would be compatible with Office 2007. You should have read the documentation properly!". And the third party you bought the spellchecker from (its ORFO, isn't it?) could not even know the properties of Office 2007. MS, on the other hand, has no interest to make the third-party-spellchecker compatible with its product, which is shipped with its (less perfect) spellchecker.

Information technologies are a means to make people buy the same thing three times and it is always difficult to find a workaround.

Good luck!

René Stranz-Nikitin
www.uebersetzerrsn.web.wo.cz

[Edited at 2008-02-05 20:07]

[Edited at 2008-02-05 20:13]

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 06:32
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Feb 7, 2008

by the way of returning to Office 2003. Under 2007 also Trados (problem of "end of paragraph not found" problem couldn't be solved either by hard return or other means proposed in forums) and heap of other programs (other CAT tools, Practicount, PDF converter, you name them) didn't function either at all or not properly. At least 3 days wasted on all that... maybe I should invoice MS for that spent time?

Uldis

[Rediģēts plkst. 2008-02-07 23:48]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Additional spellchech after update from Office 2003 to 2007 stoped working

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs