Thread poster: Ralf Lemster

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:50
English to German
+ ...
Feb 7, 2008

Hi all,
I'm looking for a way to identify all the smart tags in a Word document (Word 2003) - does anyone know a quick way to do that?

(Background: a Word document containing smart tags created problems when it was uploaded into a CMS.)

MTIA - best regards,
Ralf

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Tools - Options - Save... Feb 7, 2008

and deselect "Embed Smart Tags". Resave the document - and I hope this will do the trick.
If the document does not contain conversion-sensitive content, saving as rtf should also completly remove all smart tags, as this format does not support them AFAIK.
Oterwise when opened and resaved as doc in Word with "Embed Smart Tags" activated, they might be regenerated again...

HTH
Best regards
Jerzy

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only part of the story, I'm afraid... Feb 7, 2008

Danke, Schorsch,
Jerzy Czopik wrote:

and deselect "Embed Smart Tags". Resave the document - and I hope this will do the trick.

Not quite...
Unfortunately, the Word doc was already imported into the CMS - if we just delete the smart tags, that would remove them, but we wouldn't know where the problems have occured in the web...

Thanks anyway!

LG Ralf

Christof Schneider  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:50
Member (2003)
English to German
possibly with a regex approach Apr 3, 2008

Hi,

I would really be interested in your solution if you found one. What I can add is that smarttags in flat text appear to look like this "\{smarttag}" (without quotation marks). Within the brackets all kind of stuff can happen (letters, numbers and other characters).

Basically what i would suggest (without having much skills around this) is to do a regular expression search on this on your document in flat format.

But please - if you found a solution around your issue I'd be very interested to know.

Thanks and regards
Christof

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to identify smart tags in a Word 2003 document

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs