Help: available spell-check software (MS office)
Thread poster: Charlie Smith
Charlie Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:58
Greek to English
Feb 8, 2008

Is anybody aware of any spell-check/proof reading software that will highlight possible mistakes in English of phonetically similar words which have different spellings? i.e. their, there, they’re – guaranty, guarantee – which, witch. Etc.

Ideally to run in MS office programs.

Direct link Reply with quote

PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:58
English to Polish
+ ...
Word "find and replace" Feb 8, 2008

Word's own find (and replace) is quite complex, if you take the time to dig into all its possible options.

To use your example, if you check "sounds like" and look for "guarantee", you will also find "guaranty" (as well as "guaranteed").

Pawel Skalinski

[Edited at 2008-02-08 09:06]

Charlie Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:58
Greek to English
TOPIC STARTER
Homophone checker/find and replace Feb 10, 2008

PAS wrote:

Word's own find (and replace) is quite complex, if you take the time to dig into all its possible options.

Thank you for pointing out uses of find and replace in word, was not aware of how extensive it was.

It is a help, but I’m looking for a program that will run in MS word and check as you type. Have found out that there are some such programs available, some in included in software packages like Read and Write, and some like RWord Homophone checker. Unfortunately Read and Write is a bit on the expensive side just to use the Homophone checker and I cant find RWord anywhere.

Anybody know of any other such programs or in fact where I could get hold of Rword?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help: available spell-check software (MS office)

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs