Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:09
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Feb 12, 2008

Dear colleagues:

I am translating a long series of legal documents, in the middle of which is there is a chart wtih 26 columns. I would like to create a one page spread sheet (length of page is the width of my columns). Is there anything in Word 2007 that allows me to do so? if not, any other ideas besides importing an excel page?

TIA

Stephen Rifkind
Hebrew/French/Russian to English

Direct link Reply with quote

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:09
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
A table Feb 12, 2008

You can create a table but 26 columns is an awful lot. Unless they are very narrow and/or you use a very small font, it may not fit on the page. Start by making the left and right margins as small as possible and see if it works.

Note added: I just tried it with 0.4 margins and it works. Make sure you indicate 26 columns right away and don't try to add to the table later on. The columns are quite small of course and will only take 4 characters in Arial 8-point font.

[Edited at 2008-02-12 17:56]

Andrew Alix  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:09
Member (2010)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Word spreadsheet Feb 12, 2008

You can embed the Excel sheet directly in word. In the 'Insert menu' click on 'Table', then on Excel Spreadsheet. Once the sheet has been inserted, set your view for the whole page (Use landscape layout if the sheet has a lot of columns), and size your sheet in the page.

You might want to change your margins beforehand. Note that to change to landscape layout, you will have to insert a section, or all your other pages will revert to landscape. Then insert a new section to go back to portrait layout.

Then enter your data. You can format everything in Excel, since the Excel menus will be available while you're working in the table.

When complete, just click on another part of the document and the Excel sheet will change to a picture. No rows or columns will show up on the printer, unless you specify this in Excel mode.

If you aren't satisfied with the picture, just double click on it and you will be put back into Excel mode and you can modify it.

Note that only the data that you see is what will show up in the window, so if you scroll to another part of the sheet and click on another part of the document you will exit Excel mode and see only that part of the sheet, and you will have to double click on it again to see the data you want.

The beauty of this is that you can perform calculations in the sheet without having to worry about accuracy in a word table.

[Edited at 2008-02-12 16:12]

[Edited at 2008-02-12 16:14]

[Edited at 2008-02-12 16:14]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:09
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
About tables Feb 12, 2008

rifkind wrote:
I would like to create a one page spread sheet (length of page is the width of my columns).

By default, MS Word makes a table the width of the page. So if you start with one column, that column will be the width of the page. Can't you select the column (a little arrow appears above the column when you hover) and select a menu item like "Insert column to the right"?

Alternatively, in the earlier versions of MS Word there was a table creation icon that you clicked and dragged to create the required number of rows and columns. Dies MS Word 2007 not have it?

Stephen Rifkind  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:09
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mission Accomplished Feb 12, 2008

Dear Appilix and Mr. Murray:

Thank you for the help. I succeeded in inserting an effective 26 column word chart and am a bit wiser.

Have a nice healthy winter.

Yours truly,,

Stephen Rifkind

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating a one page Word spreadsheet

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs