Mobile menu

How do I circumvent the trial version of Office applications
Thread poster: Sarah Port

Sarah Port  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:02
German to English
+ ...
Feb 20, 2008

I have both the trial and licensed versions of MS Office installed on my computer. (I have tried unsuccessfully to install the trial version on a number of occasions).

The problem is that when I open an e-mail attachment containing a Powerpoint or Excel file, the attachment automatically opens in the trial version which I am unable to edit in. I believe there is a way of circumventing the trial version in order to open the licensed version in which I am able to edit. Can anyone advise me on how to open an attachment in the licensed version?

Many thanks in advance,

Sarah

Direct link Reply with quote

Dr. Jason Faulkner  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:02
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
Activate the Trial Version Feb 20, 2008

Hi Sarah,

Have to tried just activating the trial version using the license from your purchased version? I'm not sure why it let you install a completely seperate version in the first place. From within the help menu, go to the "About" function. I believe it will give you the option to activate the trial version. Use the license key from the version you purchased and it should work.

SaludoZ!

Jason

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:02
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Change your habits Feb 21, 2008

Sarah Port wrote:
The problem is that when I open an e-mail attachment containing a Powerpoint or Excel file, the attachment automatically opens in the trial version which I am unable to edit in.

Change your habits. Do not open an attachment directly from the e-mail program. Instead, save it to your Desktop (or to a specifc folder) and open it from there.

If your e-mail program is not maximised, and you can see your Desktop, you can simply drag and drop the attachment to the Desktop. From there, you can drag and drop the file into an opened PowerPoint or Excel instance.

For some strange reason most e-mail programs do not allow you to drag and drop a file directly from the e-mail to a specific program icon, although that would be the ideal solution, for then you can choose which program to open the attachment in.

But just to show that I'm not insensitive to your problem, I have a similar problem with Windows Media Player and with Adobe Acrobat Reader. Adobe will always use the latest version of the Reader that is installed on my computer, if I double-click a PDF file, no matter how I try to get it to use an older version. The only way to use an older version of the Reader is to open the Reader first, and then drag and drop the PDF file into it. Ditto Media Player -- double-clicking a file always uses the latest version of Media Player (and if there is a classic example of software bloat, then Media Player is it). Media Player 5 is far superior to Media Player 11, but Windows won't listen to me, unless I uninstall Media Player 11.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I circumvent the trial version of Office applications

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs