Mobile menu

a good file splitting utiliy
Thread poster: xxxBrandis
xxxBrandis
Local time: 23:25
English to German
+ ...
Mar 15, 2008

Hi! Does anyone know a good file splitter, to split large excel sheets ( inventory etc., no formulae involved) I have tried various types, easy splitter, fast splitter, universal splitter etc., but after the file has been split only the first file opens and everything seems fine, the later 2nd, 3rd files etc., come out fully garbled. I would appreciate all help. Brandis

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Moura  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:25
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A good splitting utility Mar 15, 2008

Brandis wrote:

Hi! Does anyone know a good file splitter, to split large excel sheets ( inventory etc., no formulae involved) I have tried various types, easy splitter, fast splitter, universal splitter etc., but after the file has been split only the first file opens and everything seems fine, the later 2nd, 3rd files etc., come out fully garbled. I would appreciate all help. Brandis

Use Winrar. After downloading and installing it, right click on the file you wish to split. Select the option "add to archive". In the window that will open, select the field "split to volume, bytes". Select the file size you wish and, presto, it compress and split the file into the size you chose. To recover the split files, select all the files, right click on them and chose "extract here". The files are reunited and decompressed, nothing is lost or garbled. As simple as that. I used it many times when I had a dial up internet connection, and even now for bigger files. Alles gute. Boa sorte.

[Edited at 2008-03-15 20:37]

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, I am surprised... Mar 16, 2008

why this did not cross my mind. I shall certainly try it again. But winrar does not facilitate the split into number of files size being equal, instead of having to define the size and wait for the number of files. The idea is - these are very large excel files from sql server and they need be translated, I would like to split them into equal parts so that my team does not get exhausted and the timeframe can be maintained. Thank you all the same. I guess it would then also work for .xml files. Brandis

[Edited at 2008-03-16 04:02]

xxxtlmurray
Local time: 17:25
English
This is not a file split Mar 17, 2008

Brandis wrote:

why this did not cross my mind. I shall certainly try it again. But winrar does not facilitate the split into number of files size being equal, instead of having to define the size and wait for the number of files. The idea is - these are very large excel files from sql server and they need be translated, I would like to split them into equal parts so that my team does not get exhausted and the timeframe can be maintained. Thank you all the same. I guess it would then also work for .xml files. Brandis

What you want to is not "split" a file in the traditional sense, but -- I suppose -- split them, as it were, at some boundary. On what boundary would you break these up? If you have, for example, thousands of lines in one sheet, would you want to grab several hundred and send them to a translation? Take a workbook of ten sheets and break into ten separate sheets? Sounds like you're looking at a macro solution.

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know... Mar 17, 2008

tlmurray wrote:

Brandis wrote:

What you want to is not "split" a file in the traditional sense, but -- I suppose -- split them, as it were, at some boundary. On what boundary would you break these up? If you have, for example, thousands of lines in one sheet, would you want to grab several hundred and send them to a translation? Take a workbook of ten sheets and break into ten separate sheets? Sounds like you're looking at a macro solution.
I was infact indicating at sheet or string splitter but could not find one anywhere. All I found was file splitters that were literally splitting all kinds of ms-office files, but when it comes to excel most of them are failing. Brandis

Walter Moura  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:25
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A good file splitting utility" Mar 18, 2008

Perhaps this thread can help you. Seems to be exactly what your are looking for:

http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82788

Good luck.

ilija5150
Macedonia (FYROM)
Macedonian to English
+ ...
hjsplit Mar 18, 2008

Just use HJsplit. It's easy, it's small and most of all it is effective. Oh and I forgot it is absolutely freeware. No hidden charges, gimmicks or hidden guests. Additionally, there's no installation involved, just uncompress and use the exe file.

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit

PS - I used this utility in the floppy disk days of lore and have split files into more than ten parts and have never had any problems with joining them back together.

PSS - I guess I should read the responses before posting my reply. This does not exactly answer your question but hjsplit is still a good splitting utility.

Good luck in your search.

[Уредено на 2008-03-18 19:28]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

a good file splitting utiliy

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs