Thread poster: Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:49
Russian to English
+ ...
Jan 18, 2009

Both the stable (1.8.0) and beta (2.0.0) versions of the OmegaT CAT tool have been updated, localizations have been updated in several languages, and a tutorial, “OmegaT for CAT Beginners,” has been released. They can all be downloaded free from

www.omegat.org.

OmegaT 1.8.1, the first maintenance version, contains bug fixes on the PO and OpenXML filters, corrections to the user's man
... See more
Both the stable (1.8.0) and beta (2.0.0) versions of the OmegaT CAT tool have been updated, localizations have been updated in several languages, and a tutorial, “OmegaT for CAT Beginners,” has been released. They can all be downloaded free from

www.omegat.org.

OmegaT 1.8.1, the first maintenance version, contains bug fixes on the PO and OpenXML filters, corrections to the user's manual, as well as an improvement of the PO filter.

The updated OmegaT beta version, 2.0.0, contains the same changes as the 1.8.1 update, as well as seven enhancements. A number of these enhancements are available using omegat-plugins, available at

http://sourceforge.net/projects/omegat-plugins

The accent is on languages, with a new set of Catalan and Spanish segmentation rules, new English segmentation rules, and a right-to-left alignment of the Instant Start for RTL languages.

The Japanese, Basque, and Slovenian localizations have been updated to both 1.8.1 and 2.0.

The OmegaT Project always welcomes developers, localizers, and users to contribute their experience, knowledge, and insights to the software we release. Post a message here, or reach us through the OmegaT users' group at yahoo.com.
Collapse

Craig Macdonald
Craig Macdonald
United States
Local time: 14:49
French to English
+ ...
I have an issue with omegaT Jan 19, 2009

Thanks, Susan for the omegaT update information. I've downloaded the new manual; it's a nice piece of work. Bravo.

I have installed omegaT, used it a few times, and am reluctant to use it on real projects, in spite of all it seems to offer, because two of two times I've used it, the resulting target file is not open-able by Openoffice writer (v 2.0.4) because of an xml formatting problem. I didn't do anything unusual during the translation process, merely typing translations into
... See more
Thanks, Susan for the omegaT update information. I've downloaded the new manual; it's a nice piece of work. Bravo.

I have installed omegaT, used it a few times, and am reluctant to use it on real projects, in spite of all it seems to offer, because two of two times I've used it, the resulting target file is not open-able by Openoffice writer (v 2.0.4) because of an xml formatting problem. I didn't do anything unusual during the translation process, merely typing translations into the fields as they were presented by omegaT, then eventually creating the target files.

Could you or other omegaT user that sees this, please give me a hint about what I am doing wrong? I assume it is something I've done in both cases, as I haven't seen others describing this problem.

Thanks!

-- Craig Macdonald, wannabee omegaT user.
Collapse

Oleg Osipov
Oleg Osipov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:49
English to Russian
+ ...
T... Jan 19, 2009

Thank you, Susan!
Very helpful.

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:49
English to French
+ ...
Check tags Jan 19, 2009

I have installed omegaT, used it a few times, and am reluctant to use it on real projects, in spite of all it seems to offer, because two of two times I've used it, the resulting target file is not open-able by Openoffice writer (v 2.0.4) because of an xml formatting problem.

Before generating the target documents, always check tags (Ctrl+T). As long as some tags are mentioned as incorrect, correct them.

How to work with tags is described in the manual in Working with formatted texts.

Didier

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:49
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Confirming checking tags Jan 19, 2009

I can confirm that, the need to check tags. Several times I have had the same problem, not just with OpenOffice.org documents, but also with MS Word 2007 .docx documents, that wouldn't open after being created. Once tags were checked and corrected there was no problem.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
My video Jan 19, 2009

Susan Welsh wrote:
The OmegaT Project always welcomes developers, localizers, and users to contribute their experience, knowledge, and insights to the software we release.

My video about translating in OmegaT is now available on ProZ.com's video page, although unfortunately the image quality suffered a bit in the upload.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
omegaT groups - URL Jan 19, 2009

Susan Welsh wrote:
The OmegaT Project always welcomes developers, localizers, and users to contribute their experience, knowledge, and insights to the software we release. Post a message here, or reach us through the OmegaT users' group at yahoo.com.

To contribute to OmegaT, first join the user group (via web or by sending an email to:
[email protected]

To get involved in the OmegaT development you can join the developer group, via web or by sending an email to:
[email protected] with the subject "subscribe".

To translate OmegaT's user interface, user manual or other related documents, first read Localizing and customizing OmegaT guide, and join the OmegaT translators' group (via web or by sending an email to:
[email protected] with the subject "subscribe".

Both http://www.omegat.org and the SourceForge site http://sourceforge.net/projects/omegat/ of course include the URLs pointing to the groups mentioned above and to their archives.

Drop by to have a look, kick some tyres ... (g).

Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2009-01-19 22:07 GMT]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

OmegaT Updates, Localizations, Tutorial Released

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »