Does OmegaT work with Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel...) or only with Open Office?
Thread poster: teddd76
teddd76
teddd76
Local time: 20:18
English to French
Apr 8, 2009

Hi,

Just a quick question about Omega T: does it work with Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel...) or only with Open Office?
Thanks for your replies

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-04-08 13:10 GMT]

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:18
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Which version of MSO do you use? Apr 8, 2009

OmegaT supports file formats of Microsoft Office 2007 directly, and of 2003 — via conversion to ODF and back.

avicenna
avicenna  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Turkish
+ ...
Using via HTML Apr 8, 2009

I'm converting the documents in Word into the HTML format to use in OmegaT. The processed documents i open in Word and save it in Word format.

teddd76
teddd76
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
OK thanks Apr 8, 2009

I run MS Office 2007. I already use Wordfast and Trados and I was just wondering about Omega T. Actually I don't need any of that converting between Word and Open Office. Trados and Wordfast (especially Trados) already give me enough headaches...
Anyway, thank you very much for your quick answers

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
MSO 2007 yes Apr 8, 2009

teddd76 wrote:
Just a quick question about Omega T: does it work with Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel...) or only with Open Office?

Yes, but be prepared for tag soup.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Tag soup here too... Apr 8, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

teddd76 wrote:

From what I have seen, the tag soup also appears when you use TagEditor to work on OpenOffice files.

Laurent K.

[Edited at 2009-04-08 16:54 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Tag soup thinner for OOo files in OmT Apr 8, 2009

ScottishWildCat wrote:
From what I have seen, the tag soup also appears when you use TagEditor to work on OpenOffice files.

OmT uses tags for formatting -- there's no getting away from it. But with MSO 2007 files there can be 5 to 10 times as many tags as there would be in the corresponding OOo files. So if you suspect the MSO file will not survive a roundtrip via OpenOffice.org, you can use it directly in OmT, but you may find the experience more pleasureable if you convert to OOo and back. Of course, all files are different and some files are very well formatted (thanks, client!) and may have less soup than others.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:18
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
A roundtrip for MS Word 2007 Apr 9, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

As discussed in the OmegaT group on Yahoo!, converting MS Word 2007 → RTF and back should reduce the number of tags.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Could be... Apr 9, 2009

esperantisto wrote:
As discussed in the OmegaT group on Yahoo!, converting MS Word 2007 → RTF and back should reduce the number of tags.

I have no knowledge of this, so it's possible (with possible loss of formatting also). But for the record let me just state that although the latest version of OpenOffice.org can read 2007, it can't write it. So for me, if i get a 2007 file, I generally convert it to OOo and when I'm done I convert it to 97/2000/XP, which is usually okay with clients.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Does OmegaT work with Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel...) or only with Open Office?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »