Mobile menu

OmegaT: no fuzzy matches
Thread poster: gt30
gt30
English to German
Feb 19, 2007

Hi,

I used OmegaT for the first time and could not get any fuzzy matches, although there should have been many of them.
OmegaT memorizes all segments, but cannot find fuzzy matches? Can someone help me please, because I really like the GUI so far, it seems very polished.
Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:01
German to English
+ ...
OmegaT: no fuzzy matches Feb 19, 2007

Could you give some examples of segment pairs which you think should be fuzzy matches of each other?

Marc

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No fuzzy matches Feb 19, 2007

Hi gt30,

I assume you have loaded reference TMs in the /tm folder of your project. Have you tried to search for a string which you know should be there? (Hit Ctrl+F, then make sure "search TMs" is checked.)

Do you get a result? If not, then the problem may be that OmegaT has not loaded your reference TMs. A possible reason may be that they are not valid TMX files and contain invalid characters, which leads to OmegaT aborting the import of those TMs.

There are known issues with TMX files from Trados and Wordfast, and possibly other CAT tools.

If you are on Windows (I assume you are), then run OmegaT from the bat file and watch the output in the console window. If there is an issue with your TMs, an error message will be displayed. Another way to find out what is wrong is to check the log file. On Windows, you can find it under C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\OmegaT. If you are using another OS, you should check the usual locations where user data is stored.

HTH.

Sonja

P.S.
It may be a good idea to join OmegaT's usergroup at Yahoo:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/OmegaT/

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
few hints Feb 19, 2007

1. make sure, you use the latest version (which is 1.6.2). This way you avoid problems of context.

2. it takes time to have all of the segments loaded (status bar shows the progress), If you start right away with your text, it's quite possible the matches have not been processed yet.

3. start with a simple case - it may be simple and elegant (whatever) tool, but it has its own learning curve too.

4. join the user group as suggested, and check the archives for similar problems (dont need to join to browse):

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/OmegaT/messages

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:01
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
On Linux, Feb 20, 2007

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:
Another way to find out what is wrong is to check the log file. On Windows, you can find it under C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\OmegaT. If you are using another OS, you should check the usual locations where user data is stored.

the log must be in /home//.omegat

Offtopic: wow, we're getting into mainstream, we've got users, knowing OmegaT, who are outside of our group

absciarretta  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:01
Member (2008)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Where is the TM? Apr 2, 2007

I find the TM folder that is created but it is empty... why?
I wanted to edit the TM because I did a file with timestamps and wanted to edit the actual timestamps out so the matches can be used in other files but I can't find anything in the folder to edit.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

OmegaT: no fuzzy matches

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs