Thread poster: Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 08:32
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Mar 10, 2007

seems like OmegaT+ has some kind of 'add-ons', but they're not exactly in one package. so what's actually the difference between both two?

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 03:32
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
The difference between the two ... Mar 10, 2007

so what's actually the difference between both two?

... is historic / schizmatic (sg). Check the threads and names to find more about it and make your own judgement.

regards

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Difference Mar 10, 2007

That's what I've been wondering myself.

omegatplus is a fork of OmegaT, which means that it's entirely based on OmegaT. So far, the project itself has not been able to differentiate itself from the OmegaT project. We are still waiting for that to happen (if it ever will).

Some of the packages that are labeled "add-ons" either derived from the OmegaT project or where brought in later through other open-source projects.

You will basically have to find out f
... See more
That's what I've been wondering myself.

omegatplus is a fork of OmegaT, which means that it's entirely based on OmegaT. So far, the project itself has not been able to differentiate itself from the OmegaT project. We are still waiting for that to happen (if it ever will).

Some of the packages that are labeled "add-ons" either derived from the OmegaT project or where brought in later through other open-source projects.

You will basically have to find out for yourself which one you prefer.

Sonja
Collapse

laseray
laseray
Local time: 21:32
English to French
+ ...
The real difference between OmegaT and OmegaT+ Mar 10, 2007

Hello, I am the project manager and developer of the OmegaT+ translation suite. So if anybody knows the differences it is me.

The actual differences are the following:

- OmegaT+ was started as a suite of tools versus OmegaT as basically
one tool, but they do have a few extras.

- The main application in the OmegaT+ suite (translation editor) is currently named omegat (not omegatplus, omega t+, or anything else).

- omegat, as part of the Om
... See more
Hello, I am the project manager and developer of the OmegaT+ translation suite. So if anybody knows the differences it is me.

The actual differences are the following:

- OmegaT+ was started as a suite of tools versus OmegaT as basically
one tool, but they do have a few extras.

- The main application in the OmegaT+ suite (translation editor) is currently named omegat (not omegatplus, omega t+, or anything else).

- omegat, as part of the OmegaT+ suite, is a fork off of the OmegaT 1.4.5 series and does not include sentence segmentation (unlike the OmegaT 1.6.x series; a new version of omegat is in the works, that does have sentence segmentation and it will be called OmegaT+, sorry for the confusion, if any).

- Of the other applications that OmegaT+ has bitext2tmx (bitext aligner/converter into TMX) is one of the most promising and useful.
This application is from the bitext2tmx project (http://bitext2tmx.sf.net),
another project I contribute to (Sabine has contributed the German webpage also). I hope to do some more development on that soon to bring it closer to a 1.0 version.

If you have any suggestions for the project or could contribute please contact me. Note that the project tries to provide only cross-platform applications, e.g. those that run using Java, and so forth.

Raymond Martin
Collapse

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 08:32
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
interesting... Mar 10, 2007

i googled on the difference, and it sure is interesting...

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
OmegaT vs OmegaT+ Mar 11, 2007

The OmegaT project, accessible at www.omegat.org and sourceforge.net/projects/omegat, is the "real" OmegaT project. OmegaT+ is merely a copy that has yet to produce original material on any significant scale.

Any confusion between the two projects is due entirely to the insistence of Raymond Martin upon using the OmegaT name in various forms (such as "omegat", "omega t+") rather than renaming his proje
... See more
The OmegaT project, accessible at www.omegat.org and sourceforge.net/projects/omegat, is the "real" OmegaT project. OmegaT+ is merely a copy that has yet to produce original material on any significant scale.

Any confusion between the two projects is due entirely to the insistence of Raymond Martin upon using the OmegaT name in various forms (such as "omegat", "omega t+") rather than renaming his project.

OmegaT is a registered trademark and its use by the so-called omegat+ project is illegal.

Sonja Tomaskovic
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Legal opinion? Mar 12, 2007

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:
OmegaT is a registered trademark and its use by the so-called omegat+ project is illegal.

AFAIK making legal pronouncements in the Proz.com forums is not permitted. No-one here is a lawyer.

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:32
English to French
Legal opinion... Mar 30, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

AFAIK making legal pronouncements in the Proz.com forums is not permitted. No-one here is a lawyer.

Hum, some here may be lawyers, and besides, one does not need to be a lawyer to know basic copyright laws.

About legal pronouncements, the rule specifies "Legal interpretation and legal challenges to ProZ.com policies and features....

So it does not say that one can not expression an opinion in regards to the legitimacy of a claim.

From the list of "new features" provided by the "project manager and developer of the OmegaT+", it looks like OmegaT+ is just OmegaT's old code with a new name packaged with bitext2tmx code. And it's not even integrated.

How many new lines of code were actually written and contributed by the OmegaT+ project?
I don't know the ins and outs but I would expect several extra featuresto a project called "+". So far, it seems it should have been called OmegaT-.

laseray
laseray
Local time: 21:32
English to French
+ ...
Get your facts straight Apr 1, 2007

People, this line about omegat or OmegaT+ somehow infringing OmegaT trademark is a joke.

Obviously, those who believe the hype have not read much on trademarks or whether there have ever been any legal challenges brought by open source projects about trademark that have ever succeeded.

A trademark only applies to a specific word or phrase in a way that makes it clearly distinguishable from anything similar. Therefore trademarks follow typographical conventions.
... See more
People, this line about omegat or OmegaT+ somehow infringing OmegaT trademark is a joke.

Obviously, those who believe the hype have not read much on trademarks or whether there have ever been any legal challenges brought by open source projects about trademark that have ever succeeded.

A trademark only applies to a specific word or phrase in a way that makes it clearly distinguishable from anything similar. Therefore trademarks follow typographical conventions.

OmegaT may be a trademark, I don't know. Someone point me to the actual proof that it has indeed been registered. Nevertheless, the use of words such as omegat and OmegaT+ are not the same and do not infringe. After all, we are talking about free software released under the GPL. That guarantees that the software can be modified and redistributed by others, possibly with the same name or with another (one that is not trademark). It would be a pretty hard case to argue that a free software product was forked under a similar name and that they should be made to stop using that similar name.

Consider this also, if the use of OmegaT+ or omegat is trademark infringement why have I not been contacted about it as a violation by SourceForge. It seems that the OmegaT project has had this trademark for a few weeks at least, given the date on the post here proclaiming my use as illegal, yet no one at SourceForge has sent me a complaint. SourceForge is very strict about enforcing legal issues, if it were not then its whole site could be in jeopardy.
I think a few weeks is enough time to have fired off an email to SourceForge staff to complain about a violation.

It's pretty sad that the OmegaT project is more concerned about a trademark rather than ongoing software development. Protecting a good reputation is fine, but is OmegaT's that good? It is missing many features, some of which I am working on to correct. It has many bugs and clearly software engineering was an afterthought. Again, I am working to correct things in this area. As it stands, it looks like OmegaT has not been able to attract necessary software developers to improve it in the ways it needs. Just a few people here and there patching it in places and, sometimes, breaking it. Perhaps the reason for its lack of increased popularity has something to do with the way it conducts itself as a project.

OmegaT has numerous translators on its side, but how many of them are going to write the code to make the application do what they want? OmegaT+ has a few translators on its side also, but it also has a full-time developer. What could be more important for a piece of software.

What you are going to see now is all the OmegaT types slamming OmegaT+ at every turn. Proclaiming it as illegal. Making threats and so forth. Maybe focusing on creating better software would be more productive.

Raymond (OmegaT+ project manager/developer)
http://omegatplus.sf.net
http://sf.net/projects/omegatplus
Collapse

Jean-Christophe Helary
Jean-Christophe Helary
Japan
Local time: 10:32
Japanese to French
+ ...
April fool :) Apr 2, 2007

Of course, what "laseray" wrote was an April fool

laseray is very much aware that he is knowingly using the name OmegaT (in whatever disguise he chooses) to confuse users. He was asked not to do so a number of times already.

His argument about GPL software is moot too. The GPL applies to copyright protection and not to trademark protection, as a number of high profile GPL projects show: "Linux" is a regis
... See more
Of course, what "laseray" wrote was an April fool

laseray is very much aware that he is knowingly using the name OmegaT (in whatever disguise he chooses) to confuse users. He was asked not to do so a number of times already.

His argument about GPL software is moot too. The GPL applies to copyright protection and not to trademark protection, as a number of high profile GPL projects show: "Linux" is a registered trademark for example, Mozilla, Red Hat are too.

It is very sad that people who are not translators have access to this professional forum for translators. I complained about that to the PROZ management but laseray convinced them that he was doing translation, when it is pretty obvious that he is only here to advertise for his software.
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:32
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Locking this thread Apr 3, 2007

Discussing the comparative features of different CAT tools is very much in line with ProZ.com's scope. Discussions about the intellectual ownership of trade names and comments of personal nature are not.

I am locking this thread.

Regards,
Enrique

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

OmegaT vs OmegaT+

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »