Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
OmegaT ease of... use?
Thread poster: Harvey Beasley
Harvey Beasley
Harvey Beasley
Local time: 10:04
Japanese to English
Mar 15, 2007

Well, I looked at it once last week and ran away scared.

Tomorrow morning though, I'm going to do it.

I'm going to figure out how to use OmegaT.

Anyone else here use OmegaT on a Mac? How did you find the learning curve?

The part about all of the different input and output directories had my head spinning last time I glanced at it.

This time I'll take no prisoners.

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 08:04
English to Indonesian
+ ...
it is confusing... Mar 15, 2007

... at first. i know what you mean by the folders. i used to make one [project] each time. but then i can't use the same tm for the next project. now i just use one for one pair. i just import the source file when the project opens.
the learning curve? took me around two days. i'm using it on windows, but should be the same, as it should be platform independent.

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:04
English to Polish
Not so scary Mar 15, 2007

I'm rather computer literate person and hardly judge a soft on first glance. But I remember first look at Omega was "huh O_o"?

But since then I learned to use it and never complained. Reading "help" is usefull, just one thing at a time.

I'm using it on Linux, but I think it's the same on all OSes

Don't let it scare you, make it work for you...
See more
I'm rather computer literate person and hardly judge a soft on first glance. But I remember first look at Omega was "huh O_o"?

But since then I learned to use it and never complained. Reading "help" is usefull, just one thing at a time.

I'm using it on Linux, but I think it's the same on all OSes

Don't let it scare you, make it work for you

Anni
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:04
German to English
+ ...
OmegaT ease of... use? Mar 15, 2007

Mulyadi Subali wrote:

i used to make one [project] each time. but then i can't use the same tm for the next project.

Why not? That's the beauty of OmegaT.

You create a project, produce your translation, and when you've finished it produces a translation memory (TM) for you containing the segments (translation units) for that project. It helps if you organize these TMs somehow, e.g. by keeping a special folder for them, but how you do that is up to you.

Then, when you have a similar project in the future and you want to use the TM produced by the earlier project, you put it (or them, you can use as many "old" TMs as you like) in the /tm folder of the new project. Easy!

Marc

Harvey Beasley
Harvey Beasley
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
File Formatting Mar 15, 2007

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

One question already... Regarding getting things into a OmegaT readable format.

SectionIIa File Formats

* Open Document Format (ODF ISO/IEC 26300)
* OpenOffice.org
* XHTML, HTML
* HTML Help Compiler (HCC)
* DocBook
* plaintext
* bundle.properties Java
* monolingual .po
* INI ('key=value' format)

What is a good way to get files
... See more
Thanks for the encouragement guys!

One question already... Regarding getting things into a OmegaT readable format.

SectionIIa File Formats

* Open Document Format (ODF ISO/IEC 26300)
* OpenOffice.org
* XHTML, HTML
* HTML Help Compiler (HCC)
* DocBook
* plaintext
* bundle.properties Java
* monolingual .po
* INI ('key=value' format)

What is a good way to get files into these formats on a Mac?

I had a .rtf file that I was tinkering with in the mac text editor, and there isn't even an option to save as plain text. I was surprised. Just adding on a .txt extension manually wasn't effective either.

Any help appreciated here! I'm an OmegaT Newbie.

- Harvey
Collapse

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:04
English to Polish
OpenOffice on Mac Mar 15, 2007

http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/
http://download.openoffice.org/2.1.0/index.html?focus=download

Anni

Marc P (X)
German to English
+ ...
OpenOffice.org on Mac Mar 15, 2007

M. Anna Kańduła wrote:

http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/
http://download.openoffice.org/2.1.0/index.html?focus=download[/quote]

There is also NeoOffice, another variant of OpenOffice.org for Mac:

download.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

Marc

Harvey Beasley
Harvey Beasley
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Neo Office Mar 16, 2007

[quote]Marc P wrote:

M. Anna Kańduła wrote:
There is also NeoOffice, another variant of OpenOffice.org for Mac:

download.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

Marc

Thanks, I'll give NeoOffice a try first, as it's mac specific.

Harvey Beasley
Harvey Beasley
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
OmegaT not adding source files Mar 16, 2007

Having trouble getting OmegaT to recognize my source files...
Here is what I did.

Opened a Word .doc in NeoOffice.
Saved it as .txt into my OmegaT Source directory.
Selected "add source document" in OmegaT
But, after doing that, OmegaT tells me that a properly formatted source document was not found, and gives me the instructions again on how to add a new one.

I go back to NeoOffice and save as .txt encoded. And try again, same results.
Bac
... See more
Having trouble getting OmegaT to recognize my source files...
Here is what I did.

Saved it as .txt into my OmegaT Source directory.
But, after doing that, OmegaT tells me that a properly formatted source document was not found, and gives me the instructions again on how to add a new one.

I go back to NeoOffice and save as .txt encoded. And try again, same results.
Back to Neo, save as DocBook (.xml), try again, same results though.

Isn't this a little odd?

Normally I should select the target source file, and in OmegaT it should pop up, with the first segment highlighted for translation correct?

I tried making a new file in Neo and saving as a DocBook into the OmegaT project source directory.

Even then it had the same result.
The result is that it pops up the translation target files list, but the list is blank. I have the option to close, or add another source file.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be tripping me up here?

I know this isn't the OmegaT support forum, but thanks for any help!

- Harvey
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Copy and paste? Mar 16, 2007

Harvey Beasley wrote:
I had a .rtf file that I was tinkering with in the mac text editor, and there isn't even an option to save as plain text. I was surprised. Just adding on a .txt extension manually wasn't effective either.

If all you want is plain text, why not mark all text in your RTF editor, select "copy", then open your text editor, and select "paste"?

Samuel

Marc P (X)
German to English
+ ...
OmegaT ease of... use Mar 16, 2007

Hello Harvey,

I'm not quite sure why you would want to use NeoOffice to convert MS Word files to plain text. The whole point about using NeoOffice (or OpenOffice.org, or Star Office - they are essentially all the same program) with OmegaT is that it enables you to convert MS Word files (and Excel and PowerPoint) to Open Document format (an ISO industry standard which can be handled by OmegaT), and then back again after translation, with virtually no changes to the formatting.
... See more
Hello Harvey,

I'm not quite sure why you would want to use NeoOffice to convert MS Word files to plain text. The whole point about using NeoOffice (or OpenOffice.org, or Star Office - they are essentially all the same program) with OmegaT is that it enables you to convert MS Word files (and Excel and PowerPoint) to Open Document format (an ISO industry standard which can be handled by OmegaT), and then back again after translation, with virtually no changes to the formatting.

If you simply want to produce your translation in plain text, you can save MS Word files as plain text in MS Word itself.

Your specific points:

Saved it as .txt...

See above: save it as Open Document Text (.odt), not .txt.

...into my OmegaT Source directory.

You need to do one or the other, but not both. You can either save/copy your source document(s) into the project's /source directory (by default, /source, if you haven't specified an alternative), or you can "Import source files" to grab them from somewhere else. No need to do both.

I don't know what's going wrong, but I would try manually copying the file(s) you want to translate into your /source directory and reloading the project instead of using the "Import source files" function.

Normally I should select the target source file, and in OmegaT it should pop up, with the first segment highlighted for translation correct?

If you use the "Import source files" option, yes, because the project is automatically reloaded once you have selected the file. If you copy a file manually into your /source directory, no: you first have to reload the project manually with Project > Reload..

Marc
Collapse

Rafa Lombardino
Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 18:04
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Newbie too Mar 16, 2007

I've just started using OmegaT in Linux last week with this voluntary project I got, for which I have not deadline. So far, I've kind of frowned upon the whole "you must convert .doc into .odt, but I believe it's a minor headache considering how easy it is to use.

Professionally, I've been using Trados since 2004 and OmegaT was the first CAT tool that really got me excited since then. The other ones I've seen or tried to use made me feel like I was locked out of the loop, like I had
... See more
I've just started using OmegaT in Linux last week with this voluntary project I got, for which I have not deadline. So far, I've kind of frowned upon the whole "you must convert .doc into .odt, but I believe it's a minor headache considering how easy it is to use.

Professionally, I've been using Trados since 2004 and OmegaT was the first CAT tool that really got me excited since then. The other ones I've seen or tried to use made me feel like I was locked out of the loop, like I had no control over my files and content.

Well, I still have a long way to go. I believe I'm getting closer to my "learning curve" considering how user-friendly it is. Now I just have to read more on TMs and glossaries so that, one day in the near future, I can abandon Windows completely and work 100% in Linux.

Good luck!
Collapse

Marc P (X)
German to English
+ ...
OmegaT ease of... use? Mar 16, 2007

Rafa Lombardino wrote:

So far, I've kind of frowned upon the whole "you must convert .doc into .odt, but I believe it's a minor headache considering how easy it is to use.

What is the main reason for your objection, Rafa - is it the fact that the files have to be converted (risk of formatting corruption), or is it having to go to the trouble of converting them manually?

Marc

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Reason for converting Mar 17, 2007

Rafa Lombardino wrote:
So far, I've kind of frowned upon the whole "you must convert .doc into .odt", but I believe it's a minor headache considering how easy it is to use.

The reason is that ODT format is XML based, whereas DOC is not. The new DOCX format (for Office 2007) is also XML based, and it is envisaged that a later version of OmegaT will natively support it, for that very reason.

The existing DOC format isn't an open format, which means that any program supporting it really has to figure it out by trial and error. The ODT format is an open format, which means anyone who wants to support it, can simply read the specifications freely available on the internet.

I guess you could say OmegaT works with ODT because ODT is easy to support with very limited resources (remember, OmegaT is coded by unpaid volunteers). And the conversion between ODT and DOC is good enough for most purposes.

Harvey Beasley
Harvey Beasley
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Adding the source file one way or the other did it Mar 18, 2007

Thanks guys!

Adding the source file one way or the other did it, I was able to get OmegaT to read it now.

My problem before seems to be that I was trying to both copy the file manually into the source directory, and also adding it via the menu.

Now I'll work through a sample document and see how it goes!

Thanks for your help. I'll be back, maybe in another thread, with other specific questions!

- Harvey

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

OmegaT ease of... use?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »