Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:01
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Aug 8, 2007

I realize that I can't create a glossary in OmegaT, but how do I create one that OmegaT will recognize? The OmegaT manual says that glossaries are text files containing tab-delimited lists with .tab or .utf8 extensions. I have tried creating a glossary using UTF-8 encoding in Notepad, but I have been unable to give it the .utf8 extension.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ksenija Mincic Obradovic

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:01
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Notepad is not a state-of-art text editor Aug 8, 2007

I'd advise to try something more flexible/powerful such as jEdit or UniRed, both of which allow choosing an arbitrary filename extension. If you prefer to stay with Notepad, just find your glossary file with Explorer and go to File -> Rename menu to add .utf8 (or to replace .txt with .utf8).

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:01
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
extension Aug 8, 2007

Michele Fauble wrote:
I have tried creating a glossary using UTF-8 encoding in Notepad, but I have been unable to give it the .utf8 extension.

Try enclosing it in quotes when you save it: "file.utf8".

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Can't see TXT Aug 8, 2007

esperantisto wrote:
If you prefer to stay with Notepad, just find your glossary file with Explorer and go to File -> Rename menu to add .utf8 (or to replace .txt with .utf8).

This would only work if the OP could see the file extensions in the first place.

Michele Fauble
United States
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No extensions shown Aug 8, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:
Can't see TXT

This is correct. I can't see the extensions.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:01
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Then make them visible! Aug 8, 2007

Hiding filename extensions is one of the most idiotic things Microsoft could do (considering the fact that extensions are a keystone in file handling in DOS/Windows). Just go to Explorer settings and adjust as necessary.

Michele Fauble
United States
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"file.utf8" Aug 8, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:
Try enclosing it in quotes when you save it: "file.utf8".

Do you mean under File name?

My options when saving files in Notepad are

File name:

Save as type:
Text Documents (*.txt)
All Files

Encoding:
ANSI
Unicode
Unicode big endian
UTF-8

Michele Fauble
United States
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Extensions now visible Aug 8, 2007

esperantisto wrote:

Then make them visible!

Just go to Explorer settings and adjust as necessary.

Thanks!

Michele Fauble
United States
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.txt replaced with .utf8 Aug 8, 2007

esperantisto wrote:

If you prefer to stay with Notepad, just find your glossary file with Explorer and go to File -> Rename menu to add .utf8 (or to replace .txt with .utf8).

Thanks. This worked. OmegaT now recognizes the file and displays the glossary entries.

Chiara Foppa Pedretti
Chiara Foppa Pedretti  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Newbie with a huge problem with glossaries Jan 18, 2010

Hello everybody,
I'm a newbie in the world of CAT tools and have just started learning how to use OmegaT.

I have read each and every thread in this forum, but I still miss something: I don't understand how to create a glossary! I created a file in OpenOffice Writer and managed to save it as a .utf8, but it still doesn't work. I guess this means that the file I have created is somewhat wrong... How do you create it? I have prepared a table with three columns and put inside my g
... See more
Hello everybody,
I'm a newbie in the world of CAT tools and have just started learning how to use OmegaT.

I have read each and every thread in this forum, but I still miss something: I don't understand how to create a glossary! I created a file in OpenOffice Writer and managed to save it as a .utf8, but it still doesn't work. I guess this means that the file I have created is somewhat wrong... How do you create it? I have prepared a table with three columns and put inside my glossary...

Please, don't laugh at me!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How did you test it? Jan 18, 2010

Chiara Foppa Pedretti wrote:
I don't understand how to create a glossary! I created a file in OpenOffice Writer and managed to save it as a .utf8, but it still doesn't work. I guess this means that the file I have created is somewhat wrong... How do you create it? I have prepared a table with three columns and put inside my glossary...

How did you test it to see if you the glossary works?

Chiara Foppa Pedretti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Here is what I did Jan 19, 2010

Hi Samuel,
I have created an ad hoc project (i.e., without a TM) with a text consisting in a list of words taken from the glossary itself.
Every file seems to be in the right folder ("source" and "glossary").
BUT
No suggestion appeared, neither in the translation box, nor in the glossary box (now that I think about it, I don't even know where it is supposed to appear!)

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
txt Jan 19, 2010

What format did you save it in? The default OO.o format is ODF or something like that, not txt which is what you need. You have to specify if you want to save as txt, and I'm not even sure it uses utf-8 in txt files by default (although it probably does).
So... why not use a text editor like everyone else?

If you can't specify the extension when you're saving, just change it in whatever file manager you use.

Chiara Foppa Pedretti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
I did it! Jan 20, 2010

Thank you everybody who answered me here and privately! I did it!

My error (in order to help who will read this thread in search for a tip) was not saving the file as .txt. Furthermore, I had only checked the guide (F1) in Italian, while the English one is far more complete and useful.

frankleng
frankleng
China
Local time: 09:01
English to Chinese
+ ...
try this method,pls Mar 24, 2010

I have just learnt how to make it.
It's frustrating at the first time. But, finally, it is solved.
Openoffice can make it easily.

1,You can use the current version to creat a odt file, in which you type the words in three lines.
Such as: Good(tab)nice(tab)adjectives

Note: (tab) means hitting tab.The words must be separated by hitting TAB key instead of Space.

2,Then, save it as "decoded txt", and select the "edit filtering settings"
... See more
I have just learnt how to make it.
It's frustrating at the first time. But, finally, it is solved.
Openoffice can make it easily.

1,You can use the current version to creat a odt file, in which you type the words in three lines.
Such as: Good(tab)nice(tab)adjectives

Note: (tab) means hitting tab.The words must be separated by hitting TAB key instead of Space.

2,Then, save it as "decoded txt", and select the "edit filtering settings" (my version is chinese, so the words might be a little different i use here)
3,Afterwards, a ASCII window will be shown, select "CR&LF"
4,At last, change the suffix from .txt to .utf8
5,save the file to Glossary folder.
Good luck.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

OmegaT: How do I create a glossary?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »