OMEGA T keeping the layout of Word
Thread poster: frenchenglis (X)
frenchenglis (X)
frenchenglis (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:34
French to English
Feb 29, 2008

I have been advised to use Omega T. Had a look at it yesterday and I realised it should be used with Linux.

Is there any way I can use Microsoft Word with Omega T and keep the presentation/layout of the document. Omega T is telling me to change my Word doc to a *.txt
which just means km typing.

thanks for your help.

mary

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
OMEGA T keeping the layout of Word Feb 29, 2008

frenchenglish wrote:

I have been advised to use Omega T. Had a look at it yesterday and I realised it should be used with Linux.

OmegaT is cross-platform: it can be used equally well on Windows, Linux or Mac OSX.

Is there any way I can use Microsoft Word with Omega T and keep the presentation/layout of the document.

Yes: download and install OpenOffice.org, and save your Word (and Excel and Powerpoint) files in OpenOffice.org format. Translate in OmegaT, then convert back when you've finished. You may then still have to make minor formatting corrections, but you should find that the formatting is preserved almost perfectly.

OmegaT can also handle Microsoft's new standard format for Word, .docx. If you have Word 2007, simply save as .docx. If you have an earlier verison of Word, there is a free plug-in converter that you can download.

Even though OmegaT is very intuitive, it is well worth reading the manual.

Marc

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
OmegaT is multi-platform Feb 29, 2008

frenchenglish wrote:

OmegaT works under Linux, but also under Windows and Mac OSX.

Is there any way I can use Microsoft Word with Omega T and keep the presentation/layout of the document.

There are several ways:
- You can convert your Word documents to OpenOffice documents, translate, and convert back to Word.
This can be done with OpenOffice.org, but also with Word itself, by installing a free plugin from Sun.
- You can translate directly OpenXML (i.e., Word 2007) documents in OmegaT. Again, there is a free plugin from Microsoft for older versions of Word.
The number of tags, though, doesn't make it the most pratical option.

Didier Briel

frenchenglis (X)
frenchenglis (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
omega T Word/open office Feb 29, 2008

thanks for your quick and helpful replies

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

OMEGA T keeping the layout of Word

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »