Mobile menu

new forum
Thread poster: ceasar
ceasar
Local time: 07:26
Farsi (Persian) to English
Feb 23, 2007

Dear friends:
good news,we have a new farsi forum , I hope you join us here , we can share our experiences , ask questions and help each other here, every body`s welcome...

Direct link Reply with quote

Golrokh Mohammadian
Iran
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
Congradulations; Feb 26, 2007

At last we have a Farsi/Persian forum! I am glad to join this forum to share our experience and to cooperate with eachother. Congradulations again ...

Sima Sharifi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:56
+ ...
Congratulations indeed! Jul 24, 2007

Yes, I have been looking for a Farsi specific forum all over the place and now I am very pleased to find one. Congratulations to all. There is one problem though, it seems that the forum is asleep, at least so far!

Surely there must be translators out there who work on English Farsi pair. May be we could start just by introducing ourselves, in what field we are working, and what are our challenges?

I start with myself:
I am a linguist, have been always interested in translating books and newspaper articles from English to Farsi-- fiction and non-fiction. Recently I bought SDLTrados2007 Freelance which I am enjoying tremendously. My challenge at the moment is to find a way of writing Farsi numericals using my English keyboard.

Please come in and let's make our Forum a vibrant one.

Sima

Edward Plaisance Jr  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:56
Member (2008)
+ ...
Farsi numerals Jul 24, 2007

SimaW wrote:

My challenge at the moment is to find a way of writing Farsi numericals using my English keyboard.

Sima

Try going to Word >Tools>Options>Complex Scripts and for numeral select Hindi. My Arabic instructor explained that they call the numerals Hindi.

If you want everything on your computer to show the Farsi (Hindi) numerals you need to to install Farsi with Control Panel>Regional and Language Settings>Standard Digits and pick the one you prefer and also select National under Digit Substitution. That will force the computer to use Farsi for all numerals, except in Word, which is why you need to follow the above steps to get them into Word.

Sounds confusing but it isn't

Cheers

Ed Plaisance

Canada
+ ...
Numeral in Farsi Jul 25, 2007

[quote]Edward Plaisance Jr wrote:

If you want everything on your computer to show the Farsi (Hindi) numerals you need to to install Farsi with Control Panel>Regional and Language Settings>Standard Digits and pick the one you prefer and also select National under Digit Substitution.

Hi Ed,

Thank you so much for the info; I did not know that I could so much manipulate my MSOffice to make it ever more Farsi friendly!

In the process, I learned that I could select Hindi for the Numerals and I'll get all numbers in Farsi even when my language input marker is EN. To avoid that it is also possible to select Context for Numerals; this way one could have Farsi numerals only when the Language input is Turned FA.

In the meanwhile I did find a website that had a huge amount of very valuable info regarding numerals and some special alphabets of Farsi. If you want I could anounce it here. I need to know though posting a website will not break any ProZ.com's rules.

Best Regards,
Sima

[Edited at 2007-07-25 22:22]

[Edited at 2007-07-25 22:31]

Member (2008)
+ ...
Farsi numerals Jul 26, 2007

Hi Sima,

Yes you can set Context and hopefully it will work. I have had uneven success with it, so when I need the Farsi numerals, I set it to National to make sure it works. It will change everything on your computer to Farsi including the time, calendar, task bars, etc.

If you just need to get Farsi numerals into a Word document without changing the whole computer, you can select Hindi as I mentioned in the first message and you will get Farsi numerals even in English. Context will also work here.

I don't know if you are aware of it or not but you can also have the computer display the Farsi keyboard layout on-screen by going to Programs>Accessories>Accessibility>On-Screen Keyboard and when you select FA, it should switch to Farsi.

Cheers,

Ed

Canada
+ ...
Farsi Numerals Jul 26, 2007

Edward Plaisance Jr wrote:

I don't know if you are aware of it or not but you can also have the computer display the Farsi keyboard layout on-screen by going to Programs>Accessories>Accessibility>On-Screen Keyboard and when you select FA, it should switch to Farsi.

Cheers,

Ed

I do know about the OSK; however the numbers on the keyboard remain English even though if I press them the input is Farsi. Do you know why I get a keyboard with Farsi alphabets but Western numbers which input Farsi numbers? Sounds a bit complicated.

MInd you it's not really a problem; I was just wondering if you know what can it be done to turn the whole keyboard into Farsi?

Thanks,
Sima

Member (2008)
+ ...
Farsi numerals Jul 27, 2007

Hi Sima,

This is where I said that the results are uneven with Context.

I tried it on my computer and I have to go to Regional and select Farsi and then select National for Digit Substitution and then, in addition, I have to slide my cursor over the OSK numbers to get them to change to Farsi, but it does work.

Try it with both the Control Panel window and the OSK window open, side by side, and experiment.

Ed

Canada
+ ...
Farsi Numerals Jul 28, 2007

Hi Ed,

I followed your instructions and it worked. Now, I could get a OSK all uniformally in Farsi.

Thank you very much; your help is greately appreciated.
Sima

ceasar
TOPIC STARTER
hi Aug 4, 2007

hi every one! finally some activities around here! thanks God!
I`ve graduated from university last year, I`m working for a translation agency . and I know I need to learn a lot , I hope creating this forum would help! so where is every body?!

Canada
+ ...
Welcome back! Aug 5, 2007

ceasar wrote:

hi every one! finally some activities around here! thanks God!
I`ve graduated from university last year, I`m working for a translation agency . and I know I need to learn a lot , I hope creating this forum would help! so where is every body?!

خوش آمدید ceasar,

In which school/university did you do your translation education? Is it possible to do a long-distance education in that university?

Hope to hear from you soon,
SimaW

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Mahmoud akbari[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

new forum

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs