Sima Sharifi
Sima Sharifi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:09
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Aug 5, 2007

Hi everyone,

I wonder if any of you knows how to type quotation marks in Farsi-- of course while using my English Keyboard or the On-Screen Keyboard. You know, quotation marks such as comma (,), semicolon (;), direct quotation marks (""), the curly brackets {}, and [], etc?

So far I can utilize only the period, the question mark (?), and the exclamation mark (!) on my keyboard.

Thanks for any tips,
Sima

Hamid Sadeghieh
Hamid Sadeghieh
Iran
Local time: 14:39
+ ...
Farsi Quotation Marks Aug 5, 2007

After switching your Windows XP language to Farsi (Alt+Shift) use the following combination keys in your text processing software to insert corresponding marks:

Comma ، Shift+T
Colon : Shift+;
Semicolon ؛ Shift+Y
Quotations » Shift+L « Shift+K
Brackets ] Shift+I [ Shift+O
Curly Brackets } Shift+[ { Shift+]
Pare
... See more
After switching your Windows XP language to Farsi (Alt+Shift) use the following combination keys in your text processing software to insert corresponding marks:

Comma ، Shift+T
Colon : Shift+;
Semicolon ؛ Shift+Y
Quotations » Shift+L « Shift+K
Brackets ] Shift+I [ Shift+O
Curly Brackets } Shift+[ { Shift+]
Parenthesis ) Shift+9 ( Shift+0
Number Seperator , Shift+U
Expanding Bar ــــــ Shift+J
Semi-Space Ctrl+-

I hope these would help. Note that these combination keys may vary depending on your OS, unicode, keyboard layout, and font.

[Edited at 2007-08-05 05:58]

[Edited at 2007-08-05 05:58]
Collapse

Sima Sharifi
Canada
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quotation Marks in Farsi Aug 9, 2007

Hamid Sadeghieh wrote:
I hope these would help. Note that these combination keys may vary depending on your OS, unicode, keyboard layout, and

Hello Hamid,

Thank you so much. All the short cuts worked except for one: the semi-space. When I do Ctrl+- nothing happens.

I really appreciate your valuable reply; It helped me a lot.

Hope to hear more about you in this Forum.

Best Regards,
Sima

Edward Plaisance Jr
Edward Plaisance Jr  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:09
Member (2008)
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
Punctuation in Farsi Aug 9, 2007

Hamid and Sima,

You have raised a question...what is the accepted standard today in Farsi for quotation marks? Is it the English "....." type or the French type «...» I believe that I have seen both.

Along the same line, for running dialog English normally switches between speakers by using a new " at the beginning of each change of speaker.
In French they use a dash ـــــ

What is the preferred usage in Perian typology?
Ed

Sima Sharifi
Canada
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quotation Marks in Farsi Aug 11, 2007

Edward Plaisance Jr wrote:

Hamid and Sima,

You have raised a question...what is the accepted standard today in Farsi for quotation marks? Is it the English "....." type or the French type «...» I believe that I have seen both.

Hi Ed,

When it comes to quotation marks, it seems that inside Iran this type «...» is widely preferred. However, Iranian authors outside Iran prefer this: "..." which is perhaps the result of easily accessing it through the Western keyboard.

So, it seems that the preferred usage depends on where you are!

Sima

Edward Plaisance Jr
Edward Plaisance Jr  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:09
Member (2008)
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
Quote inside a quote in Persian Oct 10, 2007

With the English keyboard we have " for quotes and also ' for a quote inside a quote....

Example: The witness said, "The robber came up to me and shouted, 'Give me your money!' and he pointed a gun at me."

What is done in Persian? I do not find any single quote on the Persian keyboard.

Any ideas?

Regards

Ed

Naeem Anis
Naeem Anis
United States
Local time: 04:09
English to Dari
+ ...
Dear All Mar 17, 2009

In Afghanistan (Dari) we use " at the beginning of each change of speaker, Edward is right in this case.

Best
Naeem,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Mahmoud Akbari[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quotation Marks in Farsi

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »