Atena Hensch
Atena Hensch  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 21:17
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
Sep 12, 2007

Hi there
I've always looked at the Farsi translation / interpreting jobs as second jobs or hobby for 10 years, but now I don't have any other jobs and I am thinking maybe I should consider Translation (EnglishFarsi) as a main job. I'd like to know the market. Is there enough market out there for English > Farsi? or Should I again have another job and consider Translation and Interpreting as my alternative? Can I earn min. of $500 (USD) with the average of 20 hrs a week? I need to really ma
... See more
Hi there
I've always looked at the Farsi translation / interpreting jobs as second jobs or hobby for 10 years, but now I don't have any other jobs and I am thinking maybe I should consider Translation (EnglishFarsi) as a main job. I'd like to know the market. Is there enough market out there for English > Farsi? or Should I again have another job and consider Translation and Interpreting as my alternative? Can I earn min. of $500 (USD) with the average of 20 hrs a week? I need to really make a decision before the end of the year and I need your help.
Thank you so much
Cheers
Atena
Collapse

Edward Plaisance Jr
Edward Plaisance Jr  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:17
Member (2008)
+ ...
Extrapolate from the past Sep 12, 2007

Hi Atena,

It would seem that you would really be the best judge...if you have been able to make $500 a week during the ten years you have been translating, then you should be able to do it in the future.

And if you haven't, for whatever reason, have you seen enough opportunities that you could have taken to make that much?

In other words, with ten years experience under your belt you should have a real good feel for the market where you are.

... See more
Hi Atena,

It would seem that you would really be the best judge...if you have been able to make $500 a week during the ten years you have been translating, then you should be able to do it in the future.

And if you haven't, for whatever reason, have you seen enough opportunities that you could have taken to make that much?

In other words, with ten years experience under your belt you should have a real good feel for the market where you are.

If NZ is anything like the US, then you would more likely make money doing Farsi>English (rather than English>Farsi) full-time in the general area of national security, which could cover a lot of government agencies. Of course you might need to get a security clearance from the government there.

Is there a job-finding service like www.monster.com in NZ? Most of my hits come from there, and they are for full time and usually national security related work, whereas I am retired and looking for part-time work, so I don't pursue them.

As a result, making $500 a week, every week, consistently, is pretty much a dream, in my opinion.

Cheers,

Ed Plaisance
Collapse

Atena Hensch
Atena Hensch  Identity Verified
New Zealand
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Sep 12, 2007

Hi Edward
Thanks for your comment. I think I could earn $500 out of interpreting very easily, if I wanted to. But I am considering more translation. Yes, I received Farsi to English (legal doc. marriage certificate....).
NZ market isnot very big, I suppose.

[Edited at 2007-09-12 19:47]

Ramin Vali
Ramin Vali  Identity Verified
+ ...
NZ Job market Mar 21, 2008

Hello Atena,

You seem to be based in Chch, which has less of an Iranian population,

In Auckland however, there is a shortage of Farsi interpreters. The reason is not lack of expertise, is the payment. I have been looking at translation as a side dish as well since I am still studying but I think, if you want to avail yourselfto interpreting (health and/or legal interpreting), then you might earn something around the region of NZ$400 a week if you are lucky.

... See more
Hello Atena,

You seem to be based in Chch, which has less of an Iranian population,

In Auckland however, there is a shortage of Farsi interpreters. The reason is not lack of expertise, is the payment. I have been looking at translation as a side dish as well since I am still studying but I think, if you want to avail yourselfto interpreting (health and/or legal interpreting), then you might earn something around the region of NZ$400 a week if you are lucky.

As for translation, again, the biggest contributor to that market is NZIS, I have been doing that for the last 3-4 years. That also pays OK but still bound by ridiculous rules of legal aid ($25 p/h).

I am hearing from various sources that there is going to be a pay review, since there has not been one since 1996.

You are the only Proz member translator that I have seen from NZ, I know quite a few interpreters and translators in Auckland but non of them have registered themselves here.

Anyway,
Hope this helps
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Mahmoud Akbari[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Farsi Translation Market

Translation news in Iran

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »