Translated version of a book
Thread poster: Sima Sharifi

Sima Sharifi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:21
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
Sep 20, 2007

I have a burning question: How can I find out if a particular book has already been translated into Farsi?

I googled the topic profusely but to no avail.

Any thoughts?

Sima

Direct link Reply with quote

Atena Hensch  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 11:21
+ ...
this website Sep 20, 2007

Can you find it here? http://www.iranbin.com/

New Zealand
+ ...
book Sep 20, 2007

If you couldn't find in that website, give me the English name of the book, I might be able to find it through our library. They are so good in finding books in any languages. you can send me a private msg.
cheers
Atena

Edward Plaisance Jr  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:21
Member (2008)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
In Persian or not Sep 20, 2007

Last year when I was in Tehran I had the same question and was told by a publisher that if you have the ISBN of the book, you can go to an office (it was something like the national library listing I believe) and they can tell you if it has been translated. But his would mean that it has been translated AND approved by the Ershad and printed in Iran. Nothing online, of course.

If it were translated and printed outside Iran, who knows?

I am in Tehran again for the moment and will ask around and get back to you whenever I find out anything from this iend.

Canada
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translated version of a book Sep 20, 2007

Greetings,

Thank you very much Atena and Edward.

Edward, for me the main question is if the book is translated in Farsi, period; regardless of whether it's allowed to be published in Iran or not. Your suggestion regarding showing the ISBN to a national library sounds a good one. Would that mean a national library in my country, Canada?

Atena, your suggestion regarding checking out with the Book Counsell also seems very appropriate. Except that I don't know if such a counsell is an international body or a local one?

So far, I emailed a very big publisher, to enquire about this question. And surprisingly within a few hours I received an answer! It recommends that I ask the author's agent. Of course I wouldn't have known about the agent, hadn't it for the kind and prompt reply of the publisher.

I am still groping around to find some kind of a general procedure in the hope that my future inquiries would go in a more routine smoother way. At the moment, I have a list of books that I intend to translate and so it will help me a lot if I know, in advance, the steps I need to take to attain the right to translate any given book.

I will let you all know about the final result I arrive at in order to spare those in my situation the trouble of going through the same time-consuming and oft frustrating inquiry.

With solidarity,
Sima

New Zealand
+ ...
Book pub. Sep 20, 2007

Hi Sima
here in New Zealand, we have the book council. It's this one http://www.bookcouncil.org.nz/index.html
and any books that's going to be published should be checked by them. Somehow is similar to "Ershad" in Iran I would say. The best place to get information for publishing a book is the "library help line" (at least here in New Zealand).

Did you receive my email? The book which you asked me was translated in Iran and published.

Check here: http://www.pubcouncil.ca/home.htm
they might be able to give you a better answer.

Usually publishers are taking care of publishing parts rather than the procedure itself.

The other option is checking with the authors of the books, they could tell you as well.

I am very curious about book publishing too. Let me know how you will get on with.

cheers
Atena

Member (2008)
+ ...
In Persian or not---clarification Sep 21, 2007

Sima,

In rereading my message I realize it was not a clear as it seemed when I wrote it.

I meant that the publisher told me to take the ISBN to the that office here in Tehran. I will try to find out exactly what that office is. That is why I said that it would only show whether it was translated and published in Iran.

Your other suggestions about going to the publisher and/or author are good, from that end.

You may or may not be aware, however, that books are translated and printed in Iran without the author's knowledge or permission, so you really should check it from both ends.

Cheers,

Ed

Member (2008)
+ ...
In Persian or not--try these out Sep 24, 2007

While visiting the Nemayeshgahe Qor'an today, I got these two resources from one of the publishers:
http://nlai.ir
http://www.ketab.ir

Unfortunately the ISBN does not travel with a book when it is translated.

I found a translated book in the NLAI site using its ISBN for the translated version. I then went to Amazon to check the original version's ISBN and it was different.

Looks like there ain't no easy way

Ed

[Edited at 2007-09-24 17:31]

Canada
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translated version of a book Sep 29, 2007

Hi Ed,

Thanks so much for the info you got me from Iran. I am still trying to figure it out. So in Iran they just translate and publish a book without the author's permission? Wow!

Tonight I am going to meet with the translators in my home town, Vancouver to celebrate Translators' Day. I am very much looking forward to that.

Happy International Translators' Day to All.

Sima

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:21
English to Arabic
+ ...
Source of Persian books in the US [www.ketab.com ] Dec 23, 2008

Greetings... salaam...

You might query the good people at Ketab Bookstore (www.ketab.com), a large and well-stocked Persian-language bookstore in Westwood (Los Angeles area) for that translation.

The staff at Ketab are very helpful, and if that title is not there, but does exist, they can do searches and queries of other outlets for you.

While some other Persian bookstores are in the LA area and around DC/MD/Northern VA, Ketab seems to be the better-connected and most-responsive outlet in terms of stock and service.

Hope this helps... befarmaa'idtoon.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Mahmoud akbari[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translated version of a book

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs