arbitraz PL>ENG: 'zaradzic' (problemom)
Thread poster: Ensor
Ensor  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:52
English to Polish
+ ...
Sep 7, 2003

W kudoz http://www.proz.com/glossary/512068
padlo pytanie o 'zaradzenie' (problemom).
Asker wybral odpowiedz 'address a problem'.
Moim zdaniem, (i zdaniem wielkiego slownika PWN Oxfordu rowniez, jak i innych angielskich slownikow) 'to address a problem' oznacza 'zajecie sie problemem', a nie 'zaradzenie problemowi'.
O ile jeszcze potrafie rozroznic te dwa slowa w zaradzeniu problemowi znajduje sie jego rozwiazanie, problem, ktoremu 'zaradzono' przestaje byc problemem. Samo 'zajecie' sie problemem nie sugeruje jeszcze, ze problem zniknie.
Dlatego uwazam, ze odpowiedz jest bledna. Mysle, ze lepsze tutaj byloby 'resolve', 'solve', albo 'clear up'.

Pozdrowienia

Ensor

Direct link Reply with quote

pidzej  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:52
Polish to English
+ ...
Agree Sep 7, 2003

PJ

nrabate  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:52
Russian to English
+ ...
I disagree Sep 7, 2003

Since I have proposed the rendering of "address" to "zaradzic," allow me to explain further. In my opinion "address" in its current usage covers a broad context of "dealing with," "working on resolving," and ultimately "resolving" a problem/issue, etc. It serves as an equivalent of "remedy," which, incidentally, Stanislawski lists as "zaradzic." Since the asker had provided only a fragment of the sentence, I proposed "address," a more neutral word than "resolve" or "remedy." I am eager to hear what my colleagues on this forum think on this matter.

Ensor  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:52
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
address versus resolve Sep 8, 2003

Chcac miec absolutna pewnosc, ze chodzi tu jednak o rozne znaczenia zadalem to pytanie na English forum, i 'niestety' wszyscy potwierdzili moje przypuszczenia.
Dowod ponizej:

"to address a problem

My question is: is 'addressing a problem' the same as 'resolving a problem'? My feeling is that it isn't. 'Addressing a problem', the way I understand it, is to tackle it, deal with it, which isn't synonymous with finding a solution to it, or to put it differently, make it disappear, which is what happens when a problem is resolved. Recently I've met with an opinion that in American English 'addressing a problem' equals 'resolving a problem'. I would appreciate some comments regarding this issue."

I odpowiedzi:

Marie Scarano] Sep 7 confidence:
you are right

I would also say that addressing a problems is more like "working toward the resolution of a problem" or "facing".
Oh, yes. I am American by the way.

Other pros opinions of this response:

agree Syeda Tanbira Zaman
agree Teletariat
agree Chris Rowson
agree Rowan Morrell: In a translation context: you might address a problem (difficult word or phrase) by looking up the dictionaries, asking on KudoZ etc., but that doesn't mean you've resolved it. You're just working towards resolving it, as Marie rightly says.
agree Terry Burgess: 150%--and I sincerely like Rowan's way of putting it. Nice one Rowan!
agree jerrie
agree Pnina: The Merriam-Webster Dictionary agrees with you. According to it one of the meanings of the verb "address" is "deal with it: treat".
agree Bob Kerns
agree Graciela Carlyle
agree dragaica
agree Mario Marcolin
agree Nancy Arrowsmith: dealing with the problem
agree Ruth Henderson: Addressing a problem may or may not include finding a solution.
agree Susana Galilea
agree Amy Williams: absolutely
agree airmailrpl: facing a problem..working towards resolving it..
agree Rita Heller: focus on a problem, deal with a problem
agree Autobahn
agree Svetozar Georgiev
agree Catherine Norton
agree David Moore: bit like addressing a golf ball, really....suppose that's the connection.

site: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/515743?ridh=1321569&pwd=Wvw5#answ_1321569

Pozdro

Ensor

agp124
United States
Local time: 10:52
Polish to English
+ ...
zgadzam sie z ensor(em) Sep 8, 2003

agree

PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:52
English to Polish
+ ...
definitions Sep 8, 2003

zaradzić dk VIa, ~dzę, ~dzisz, ~radź, ~dził — rzad. zaradzać ndk I, ~am, ~asz, ~ają, ~aj, ~ał
«znaleźć na coś radę, sposób, uporać się z czymś, sprostać czemuś»
Zaradzić brakom, niedostatkowi.
Potrafiła wszystkiemu zaradzić.
Nie mógł zaradzić złu.

zająć się — zajmować się
1. «zacząć coś wykonywać, pracować nad czymś; zabrać się, wziąć się do czegoś»
(both terms: Słownik j. polskiego PWN)

deal
v. dealt, (dlt) deal·ing, deals
v. tr.
To take action with respect to someone or something: The committee will deal with this complaint.

ad·dress
tr.v. ad·dressed, ad·dress·ing, ad·dress·es

To direct the efforts or attention of (oneself): address oneself to a task.
To deal with: addressed the issue of absenteeism.

(both terms: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)

Now, going strictly by dictionary definitions, "to address" and "to deal" imply an undertaken action, not a concluded action, while the definition of "zaradzić" clearly indicates a concluded action, as opposed to "zająć się".
In my understanding, "to take action" does not necessarily mean a successful conclusion of that action.
Therefore, IMO, "zająć się" is a better translation of "to address".

Paweł Skaliński

[Edited at 2003-09-08 08:07]

Kasia Trzcińska-Draper
Local time: 15:52
Polish to English
+ ...
zmieniłam wpis Sep 8, 2003

...w glosariuszu, wygląda teraz tak:
zaradzić problemom => resolve/solve problems

Pozdrawiam serdecznie,
Kasia Trzcińska-Draper
Pol>Eng Mod

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

arbitraz PL>ENG: 'zaradzic' (problemom)

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs