Mobile menu

Why have polls?
Thread poster: Hilde Granlund

Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:56
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Apr 1, 2008

By all means - I think they are fun, and spark off some interesting discussions.
But every time a question is posted - someone posts something like this:

I really don't want to seem churlish but I think this is rather a pointless poll/question, similar to "what's your favourite film/book/best friend" etc, and I don't really understand what the reason for asking is.

If you think that, and don't want to seem churlish - why bother to post anything at all?
Are these polls part of somebody's thesis or something?
I have taken it as "just for fun" - and many of these questions spark of interesting discussions.
Hanging over the computer day in and day out, I think some light relief is quite welcome
For me - the polls were a way to get to "know" some of the regulars here, seemed an easy place to actually jump in and say something - about something that was not too scary or too difficult, or maybe I'd even get away with making a silly mistake in my English...
I did not want to risk making a complete fool of myself....
Of course, after hanging around here for nearly a year, I have discovered that people here are just people, - rather like myself, and mostly not scary at all.

But I may have missed something.
People complain about the questions posted - they are not specific enough, include the right alternatives - or whatever.
And the site staff seem to take an interest too. I have gathered the courage to post one poll question myself. That was changed by the staff into something else, and then I found it rather difficult to defend it or answer questions about it.

One poll question every day - sometimes a bit of a discussion , forgotten the next day (How many poll question discussions go on after the next one is posted....?) How serious can this be?

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Paula Durrosier[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why have polls?

Advanced search

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs