https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/101678-poll%3A_do_you_use_a_desktop_search_program_for_your_own_files.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you use a desktop search program for your own files?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 8, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you use a desktop search program for your own files?".

This poll was originally submitted by Rafael Molina Pulgar

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, s
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you use a desktop search program for your own files?".

This poll was originally submitted by Rafael Molina Pulgar

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:03
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
No, I don't Apr 8, 2008

I know exactly where my files are on my computer so I don't need to, or ever have to, use a file search program. It's just a question of being organised.

The only exception perhaps is the download cache via IE Explorer or Firefox (my preference), where files that you view on the Internet may be stored in an abstract temporary file location. But then again, if those files WERE important, they really should have been saved somewhere important in the first place!

Michaela Müller
Michaela Müller
Germany
Local time: 16:03
English to German
+ ...
Yes Apr 8, 2008

After reading Richard's reply, I am not sure if I understood this poll question correctly.

I interpreted "desktop search programs" as sth. like Google Desktop, which is what I use.

I do not think it has got to do anything with being organized or not. I, for example, use Google Desktop when I need to know how I translated certain terms or phrases in the past or how I proofread/edited certain things, to ensure consistency throughout the client's files.

I jus
... See more
After reading Richard's reply, I am not sure if I understood this poll question correctly.

I interpreted "desktop search programs" as sth. like Google Desktop, which is what I use.

I do not think it has got to do anything with being organized or not. I, for example, use Google Desktop when I need to know how I translated certain terms or phrases in the past or how I proofread/edited certain things, to ensure consistency throughout the client's files.

I just wish the software would work for .itd files, too, since I have tons of very similar files (and the agency doesn't have a glossary for those translations).

[Bearbeitet am 2008-04-08 13:02]
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
No Apr 8, 2008

Like Richard, I know where everything is on my computer - I don't have to look for it. My partner marvels how I can be so disorganised in my personal life and so efficient in my professional life, but with the number of jobs I do it's essential to be able to lay hands on them instantly.

The only searches I do are in Esplora risorse (sorry can't remember what it's called in English) when I'm looking for an old job translated from a scanned pdf that's similar to a new one that's come
... See more
Like Richard, I know where everything is on my computer - I don't have to look for it. My partner marvels how I can be so disorganised in my personal life and so efficient in my professional life, but with the number of jobs I do it's essential to be able to lay hands on them instantly.

The only searches I do are in Esplora risorse (sorry can't remember what it's called in English) when I'm looking for an old job translated from a scanned pdf that's similar to a new one that's come in, which happens quite often. But even there I'm creating a "master file" of these files organised by a relevant name rather than by client/year/job number, to save search time.

[Edited at 2008-04-08 13:06]
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:03
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Google Desktop and Copernik Apr 8, 2008

Like Michaela I don't think that it has anything to do with being well organized. I know where my files are but nobody remembers every single word in every single file. So if I want to bring up for instance all the files on my computer containing words "Crown Court" I need small help

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
No Apr 8, 2008

I don't know which was the asker intention: searching file, or phrases, but I understood the poll as searching files and replied accordingly.

Anni

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Italian to English
+ ...
So what does Google Desktop do... Apr 8, 2008

Stanislaw Czech wrote:

Like Michaela I don't think that it has anything to do with being well organized. I know where my files are but nobody remembers every single word in every single file. So if I want to bring up for instance all the files on my computer containing words "Crown Court" I need small help

... that Office's own search feature doesn't? Because that's what I use (I assumed it doesn't count as a desktop search program).

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
I do not remember every single word Apr 8, 2008

Stanislaw Czech wrote:
Like Michaela I don't think that it has anything to do with being well organized. I know where my files are but nobody remembers every single word in every single file.

Yep, the same with me. I do not remember all the good solutions I have found. I need some space for other things on my human hard disk. Therefore I have my desktop snoopy, who helps me to find all my treasures in the twinkling of an eye.:-)
Steffi

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
One more comment Apr 8, 2008

At least for users of Windows quite soon the need for external programs may be over. I don't know what the others think but I find internal search engine used by Windows more and more efficient.

If I were to show the biggest advantage of Windows Vista I would certainly point new ways of organization of files and better ways of searching them.

My absolutely favourite function is option of displaying recently changed and created files with one click...
See more
At least for users of Windows quite soon the need for external programs may be over. I don't know what the others think but I find internal search engine used by Windows more and more efficient.

If I were to show the biggest advantage of Windows Vista I would certainly point new ways of organization of files and better ways of searching them.

My absolutely favourite function is option of displaying recently changed and created files with one click

Best
Stanislaw
Collapse

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 09:03
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, I do Apr 8, 2008

I use Copernic (which can be downloaded for free from www.copernic.com). It's wonderful!!! Even though I have a good memory, I have translated so many things for so many clients that it's obvious that I tend to forget in which file exactly I have translated this or that word. Many times the customer doesn't want me to change the name of a translation, which can be as strange as 0065A-87.doc, so after some months,... See more
I use Copernic (which can be downloaded for free from www.copernic.com). It's wonderful!!! Even though I have a good memory, I have translated so many things for so many clients that it's obvious that I tend to forget in which file exactly I have translated this or that word. Many times the customer doesn't want me to change the name of a translation, which can be as strange as 0065A-87.doc, so after some months, I don't remember at all what was it about.

And then I get to translate a similar text, which contains a word that I know I have translated before, but not exactly where. At that moment, I go to Copernic and do a search. This program looks at all the places where that word has been used before: files, e-mails, music, videos, etc. and show them on the screen. After checking where it was and how I translated it, then I can copy it into my new translation.
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
it's much faster than office's search because it's indexed. Apr 8, 2008

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

... that Office's own search feature doesn't? Because that's what I use (I assumed it doesn't count as a desktop search program).

Google desktop indexes all the files on your computer, which means that you can search them just as fast as you can run a "standard" google search. Not only that - it can search your e-mails too.

I know exactly where all my files are (I have a very well organized system), but if I need to find a file or an e-mail in a hurry then I use Google Desktop.

It also means that any time I google for a word or phrase google also looks through the files on my PC to see if I've ever used it before.

FWIW Alison

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Rather like context search Apr 8, 2008

I use Google Desktop in the same way as Wordfast's context search. I have it linked to my Google search box so that if I'm searching for a word it also brings up any of my files that the word may have appeared in - which is very helpful if it's come up in a different TM or glossary that I'm not currently using or a completely different place such as a webpage or e-mail which happens to be on my computer. I didn't use to keep all my old translations and source files on my computer before I learn... See more
I use Google Desktop in the same way as Wordfast's context search. I have it linked to my Google search box so that if I'm searching for a word it also brings up any of my files that the word may have appeared in - which is very helpful if it's come up in a different TM or glossary that I'm not currently using or a completely different place such as a webpage or e-mail which happens to be on my computer. I didn't use to keep all my old translations and source files on my computer before I learnt about Google Desktop, but I make sure I do now - of course, it's easier in these days of enormous hard discs. What's more, it's free! I think I first read about it in one of Michael Benis' articles in the ITI Bulletin and I find it invaluable.Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Italian to English
+ ...
OK, I'm convinced! Apr 8, 2008

I guess I'll have to try one.

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:03
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Google Desktop Apr 8, 2008

I use Google Desktop too, it´s great.
The only problem is that it searches only the hard drive. Do you know any other similar program that searches also CDs. As I have all my backups in CD it would be great to do the search in there too.

Marina

Nancy Burgess (X)
Nancy Burgess (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
The magic of Google Desktop Apr 8, 2008

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

I guess I'll have to try one.

Go for it: I'm a recent and evangelical convert! Google desktop is amazing: it uses its magical indexing system to help you find even a single word or phrase in any document you have stored on your computer within seconds, it's way way way quicker than the Microsoft search function and is integrated into your Google search, so you can look on the web and in your computer at the same time. (It has an annoying news featurette too which pops up news stories and stuff on your desktop, but you can disable that function).

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use a desktop search program for your own files?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »