Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you ever dream that you are translating/interpreting?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 14, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you ever dream that you are translating/interpreting?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:39
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No, and quite happy that I don't Apr 14, 2008

As dreams are in a way (in my humble opinion of course) the laundry system of our brains, dreaming of translating would mean that I dislike doing my job. So I prefer to continue this way.

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:39
Dutch to English
+ ...
My case Apr 14, 2008

I normally set my alarm for a certain time each morning and then have a snooze function activated for 20 minutes afterwards.

I always wake up just before the alarm goes off - and usually get up straight away.

Occasionally (especially in winter) I'll doze off again. I then sometimes "dream" for a few minutes that I'm translating.

If that happens, I quickly seem to realise and force myself to get up and start my early shift. After all, if I'm going to do it,
... See more
I normally set my alarm for a certain time each morning and then have a snooze function activated for 20 minutes afterwards.

I always wake up just before the alarm goes off - and usually get up straight away.

Occasionally (especially in winter) I'll doze off again. I then sometimes "dream" for a few minutes that I'm translating.

If that happens, I quickly seem to realise and force myself to get up and start my early shift. After all, if I'm going to do it, I might as well get paid for it!

[Edited at 2008-04-14 14:32]
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:39
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I see my computer screen Apr 14, 2008

Often when I lie down to go to sleep, while I'm still awake (but with my eyes closed), I'll see my computer screen with little words marching across it. I sometimes see the ProZ site, too!

Amy

Sanmar
Sanmar
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
Yes I have done in the past Apr 14, 2008

Yes, I have translated entire sections of manuals in my dreams when I was working all available hours, 6/7 days a week. This was years and years ago and a sign for me to change my working practices! I haven't done it since.

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not only translating.... Apr 14, 2008

But struggling with some arcane feature in the CAT tool I use, to sleep...per chance to dream!

BR

Haydee

Catherine Shepherd
Catherine Shepherd  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not actually about translating, however... Apr 14, 2008

...I do dream about the subject of the text I'm translating, quite often as well. Just last week I dreamt two days running about the subject of a translation I'm on at the moment. I find it quite annoying...

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Has anybody else woken in the middle of the night... Apr 14, 2008

only to realize you have found the perfect translation for a term or a phrase that has been puzzling you all day?
Well, it's certainly happened to me. In fact, to avoid forgetting things when this happens I actually get out of bed and write down the term/phrase I have come up with in my dream

[Edited at 2008-04-14 15:59]

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
It happens Apr 14, 2008

Laureana Pavon wrote:

only to realize you have found the perfect translation for a term or a phrase that has been puzzling you all day?
Well, it's certainly happened to me. In fact, to avoid forgetting things when this happens I actually get out of bed and write down the term/phrase I have come up with in my dream

[Edited at 2008-04-14 15:59]

A similar question was asked in a poll a couple of years back. It was something like, “Do you solve your translation problems in your dreams?” or something to that effect.

The scoffers and unbelievers among us laughed and said it was a silly question. I might have agreed if it weren’t for the fact that just a few days before I had been working on a document and one particular word just wouldn’t come to me. I looked it up and couldn’t find what I was looking for. I knew the context and understood what kind of word was needed, but it just wouldn’t come to me.

That night I had a dream and in it I was talking with the client. She used the word I was looking for while she was speaking to me in the dream! It startled me completely awake! It was sort of a “Eureka” moment.

It hasn’t happened to me since then, but I know for a fact it is possible. The human mind is amazingly complex.

[Edited at 2008-04-14 16:50]

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

English to Spanish
+ ...
Not really... Apr 14, 2008

It could be said that I quite rarely dream about being translating or interpreting, maybe because my mind needs to rest seriously:):):).
Have a nice day!
Fernando

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:39
French to English
No! Apr 14, 2008

But I have noticed that the less I travel, the more outlandish my dreams are. Probably the same compensation mechanism by which I don't dream about working. My brain needs that break!

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
yes, I send it right now..." Apr 14, 2008

More often after interpreting than after translation, I see or hear the text again. My kids told me sometimes I am talking in Russian or I can say "I check it once more"... "yes, I send it right now..." (it is one word in Hungarian "kuldom")

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Eureka Apr 14, 2008

[quote]John Cutler wrote:

[It was sort of a “Eureka” moment.

The human mind is amazingly complex.

[Edited at 2008-04-14 16:50] [/quo

Ágata Sousa
Ágata Sousa  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
When my mind is full of work Apr 14, 2008

I usually can't relax very much, so I dream that I'm translating. Or that I've lost the deadline, things like that.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
yes, often! Apr 14, 2008

Not quite translation, but editing ... I edit like mad in my dreams! I don't know why not translation, maybe becuase editing is more concentrated.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you ever dream that you are translating/interpreting?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »