Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How many KudoZ questions do you answer a day?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 16, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many KudoZ questions do you answer a day?".

This poll was originally submitted by Monika Jakacka

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new p
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many KudoZ questions do you answer a day?".

This poll was originally submitted by Monika Jakacka

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Valery Kaminski
Valery Kaminski  Identity Verified
Belarus
Local time: 14:02
English to Russian
+ ...
Other Apr 16, 2008

It may be 10-20 a day, it may be none for a couple of months. Once you go over that kudoZ grabbing stage it's pretty sporadic.

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:02
English to Spanish
Depends Apr 16, 2008

It depends on how busy I am. Some days I check the questions, and answer a few (less than five), or agree or disagree. Actually, what I enjoy most is researching and inserting a note, reference, or URL in the Ask the Asker section or in my agrees. As for me, I rarely ask questions.

My opinion is that Kudoz points alone are not necessarily an indication of proficiency, knowledge, or expertise. If I start working at 7:00 in the morning and finish after 9:00 in the evening, I may be v
... See more
It depends on how busy I am. Some days I check the questions, and answer a few (less than five), or agree or disagree. Actually, what I enjoy most is researching and inserting a note, reference, or URL in the Ask the Asker section or in my agrees. As for me, I rarely ask questions.

My opinion is that Kudoz points alone are not necessarily an indication of proficiency, knowledge, or expertise. If I start working at 7:00 in the morning and finish after 9:00 in the evening, I may be very proficient, very knowledgeable, and very expert, but I do not have time for Kudoz, thus I do not answer.

[Edited at 2008-04-16 23:55]
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:02
Dutch to English
+ ...
None (these days) Apr 16, 2008

No time or inclination

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:02
Italian to English
+ ...
Other Apr 16, 2008

Because it depends how busy I am, what the questions are, what other answers have already been suggested, who the asker is... sometimes none, rarely half a dozen, probably never more than that.

Surely anyone who does anything other than give random wild guesses to anything that crops up will have to answer "other" in this poll?

Alana Quintyne
Alana Quintyne  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
not often but... Apr 16, 2008

I don't do it very often because of time constraints but I answer when I can because when I post terms I appreciate that some people take the time to answer and help out. They don't have to. They have busy schedules too.

Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
French to English
good point Apr 16, 2008

About appreciating other people taking time to help out, I have gotten some very useful answers. Actually, when I have work, I try not to answer any because I feel like I should be working, but sometimes it can be a little compulsive, especially when waiting for a file to convert or print out or a page to load (or oatmeal to cook). Sometimes I can be more obsessive about other people's terminology problems than my own. Other people's jobs always seem more interesting... See more
About appreciating other people taking time to help out, I have gotten some very useful answers. Actually, when I have work, I try not to answer any because I feel like I should be working, but sometimes it can be a little compulsive, especially when waiting for a file to convert or print out or a page to load (or oatmeal to cook). Sometimes I can be more obsessive about other people's terminology problems than my own. Other people's jobs always seem more interestingCollapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Depends on how busy I am... Apr 16, 2008

...and can range from 0 most days to 15 in calmer days.

Kathryn Litherland
Kathryn Litherland  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
brain exercise Apr 16, 2008

Sometimes I can be more obsessive about other people's terminology problems than my own. Other people's jobs always seem more interesting

Wrestling with terminology is one of my favorite parts of this job. So answering KudoZ for me is kind of like doing crossword puzzles--mental exercise that's both enjoyable and beneficial. Like regular exercise, though, it kinds of falls by the wayside when I'm crazy busy! So I guess my answer is none of the above, because sometimes I answer 2 or 3, maybe as many as 5 in a day if I've got a lot of free time, but zero a day for long stretches, and probably less than 30 in a month on average.

paula arturo
paula arturo  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
only when I'm sure of the answer Apr 17, 2008

aalana wrote:

because when I post terms I appreciate that some people take the time to answer and help out. They don't have to. They have busy schedules too.

I don't post terms very often, but when I do people are usually very helpful. At the same time, I don't like answering questions if I'm not very sure of my answer, if the point is helping... then, there's no point in guessing!

How's that for overstating the obvious?

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
other Apr 17, 2008

Kathryn Litherland wrote:

Wrestling with terminology is one of my favorite parts of this job. So answering KudoZ for me is kind of like doing crossword puzzles--mental exercise that's both enjoyable and beneficial. Like regular exercise, though, it kinds of falls by the wayside when I'm crazy busy! So I guess my answer is none of the above, because sometimes I answer 2 or 3, maybe as many as 5 in a day if I've got a lot of free time, but zero a day for long stretches, and probably less than 30 in a month on average.

This pretty much sums it up for me, too.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It swings a lot - questions per week would have been easier to answer! Apr 17, 2008

Some days I actually have to turn off KudoZ and concentrate on work.

Other days I do them in coffee breaks. I ought to get some fresh air and physical exercise, but like Katherine and Cindy, I do them as a mental exercise and because it keeps me looking through resources I might forget I have.

I check my list of favourite websites or the dictionaries on the top shelf of the bookcase. They are all much more useful when I need them for my own work, if they feel familiar a
... See more
Some days I actually have to turn off KudoZ and concentrate on work.

Other days I do them in coffee breaks. I ought to get some fresh air and physical exercise, but like Katherine and Cindy, I do them as a mental exercise and because it keeps me looking through resources I might forget I have.

I check my list of favourite websites or the dictionaries on the top shelf of the bookcase. They are all much more useful when I need them for my own work, if they feel familiar and I know their particular routines.

Often I discover things that come in useful later, even if they do not fit the particular question in hand.

I probably answer about 5-10 questions a week, but not the same number every day.

THANKS to everyone else who makes it such fun! There are a lot of really super colleagues out there!

Christine

[Edited at 2008-04-17 10:59]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other -> Who's counting? Apr 17, 2008

If I have a query, after asking my own I usually check the rest out to see if I can answer any current queries. I often find interesting things like useful links that way. Sometimes if I'm not busy I browse the queries for a bit of fun but never keep a tally ...

John Walsh
John Walsh  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
same here Apr 17, 2008

Valery Kaminski wrote:

It may be 10-20 a day, it may be none for a couple of months. Once you go over that kudoZ grabbing stage it's pretty sporadic.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nicely put Kathryn and Joan! Apr 17, 2008

Kudoz posers, crosswords.... I do them because I enjoy them, and Kudoz is even more attractive because on a number of occasions now I've found that something I learned by poking around for someone else or be reading other people's "pokings" has later come in handy for a piece of my own work. But even without that added plus, I'm just addicted to finding new things out!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many KudoZ questions do you answer a day?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »