https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/103906-poll%3A_do_you_have_strict_working_hours.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you have strict working hours?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 5, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have strict working hours?".

This poll was originally submitted by Els Spin

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For m
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have strict working hours?".

This poll was originally submitted by Els Spin

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:34
English to Dutch
+ ...
No, but I'm trying May 5, 2008

I try to keep strict business hours, but I lack self-discipline. So I voted 'No'.
In general, I am glued to my computer for much too long.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, absolutely!!... May 5, 2008

...I work strictly most hours of the day.

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:34
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No May 5, 2008

And I guess that's the advantage of working as a freelancer, or not? The possibility of organizing one's own time in such way that the translation deadline is met.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ojalá May 5, 2008

An opportunity to introduce those of you who don't know it to this most useful of Spanish words - one word to express that longing, that yearning, that if it only that were possible....

Jade Baksh (X)
Jade Baksh (X)
Local time: 20:34
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
No, I dont. May 5, 2008

I am very indisciplined, I like what I do alot so I just keep on going and sometimes I loose track.

jokerman
jokerman
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
no... May 5, 2008

and I consider it one of the main benefits of being a freelancer. I just love the fact that most of the time I have a certain freedom to decide myself when to start working or when to make a (shorter or longer) break or when to go for a coffee or for a few hours of tennis or whatsoever. I suppose I'd hate to have to show up in an office every morning at a same time. Furthermore, I don't mind at all working additional hours if the job hasn't been finished within a 'normal' shift. Neither do I min... See more
and I consider it one of the main benefits of being a freelancer. I just love the fact that most of the time I have a certain freedom to decide myself when to start working or when to make a (shorter or longer) break or when to go for a coffee or for a few hours of tennis or whatsoever. I suppose I'd hate to have to show up in an office every morning at a same time. Furthermore, I don't mind at all working additional hours if the job hasn't been finished within a 'normal' shift. Neither do I mind occasional urgent job inquieries late in the evening or even at night. Basically, I consider being on stand-by 24/7 less limiting than strict working hours are.Collapse

Marie-Josée Gravel (X)
Marie-Josée Gravel (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
French to English
+ ...
NO! May 5, 2008

I quit my last job so I wouldn't have to answer to anyone (except clients' needs and deadlines, obviously). I have a family and this works just great with my mother duties. If a kid is sick, I don't have to beg my boss for a day off, or to keep my pay intact until I can make up for the lost time.

It also means extra hours at night or on weekends, but I can't complain since I spend more time with my family and I can take longer breaks on sunny days!!

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:34
Flemish to English
+ ...
No May 5, 2008

Impossible to have strict hours in the translation business.
Whoever enters it and wants to earn good money with translation should be available at all times and go the extra mile to be competitive.
Strict working hours : Possible with interpreting.

Michael Boone
Michael Boone  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
No I don't! May 5, 2008

No I definitely do not! I put a great deal of effort into this job because I like it so much, and so much depends on deadlines.

However, the upshot of all this, I believe, is that from time to time you can really suit yourself, really break out of the routine and really take some well-earned, worry-free, quality time off!

The thought of going back in an office... yeuch!!!!!! (no thank-you)

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:34
Dutch to English
+ ...
Says who? May 5, 2008

Williamson wrote:

Impossible to have strict hours in the translation business.
Whoever enters it and wants to earn good money with translation should be available at all times and go the extra mile to be competitive.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you're generalising.

I, for one, earn very handsomely, I'm definitely not available all the time, I keep to a strict routine (when I am working, but take regular breaks and go away for a couple of days) and I'm certainly not alone in this department.

As for it being 'impossible' to have strict hours, you can only mean that it's impossible for you.

Some people are more disciplined than others. Some prefer working the way I describe. It's a fact of life. There are no absolutes.

[Edited at 2008-05-05 16:51]

Fabiana Zardo
Fabiana Zardo  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In my case... May 5, 2008

My case is a bit different. I have a 9 to 5 job and I also study, so my working hours = free time!

So, it's easy to find me working at 2:00 am on a Saturday...or Sunday, Thursday...lol

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Interesting different interpretations! May 5, 2008

There are those who think that not having strict working hours means being available 24/7 in order to grab every job going... and those who think it means having the flexibility to work as long as you want, when you want... and of course those who think it's a bit of both.

I'm in the "bit of both" camp, really. Like jokerman, I have no problem working a bit later (or getting up a bit earlier) if a deadline dictates it, but equally I love the freedom to take an afternoon or a couple
... See more
There are those who think that not having strict working hours means being available 24/7 in order to grab every job going... and those who think it means having the flexibility to work as long as you want, when you want... and of course those who think it's a bit of both.

I'm in the "bit of both" camp, really. Like jokerman, I have no problem working a bit later (or getting up a bit earlier) if a deadline dictates it, but equally I love the freedom to take an afternoon or a couple of days off with no boss to answer to. Bliss!
Collapse

megane_wang
megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No (yes?) May 5, 2008

I do have a schedule, but I feel free to modify it, as far as it leaves time enough to do my job

In fact, with a small child and a second one coming in short, nursery/school/child sleeping time contributes a lot to keep "some" routine.

Even though I usually work 9:30-17:00 and 21:00-23:00 under my own control and self discipline, I find time to do other things without having to give any explanations to a
... See more
I do have a schedule, but I feel free to modify it, as far as it leaves time enough to do my job

In fact, with a small child and a second one coming in short, nursery/school/child sleeping time contributes a lot to keep "some" routine.

Even though I usually work 9:30-17:00 and 21:00-23:00 under my own control and self discipline, I find time to do other things without having to give any explanations to anyone and I would definitely not go back to an office schedule.

Ruth @ MW
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:34
English to French
+ ...
Not so strict, but close to May 5, 2008

Recently, I have realized how important it is to have a framework for freelance work. Even a person with excellent organization skills can get completely disorganized if they don't have a schedule they stick to most of the time. I am speaking from experience.

For translation work per se, I don't think a schedule is really needed. But we have to perform many tasks besides translation, some of which are tied to a schedule we have no control over (accounting, taxes, etc.). Some of thes
... See more
Recently, I have realized how important it is to have a framework for freelance work. Even a person with excellent organization skills can get completely disorganized if they don't have a schedule they stick to most of the time. I am speaking from experience.

For translation work per se, I don't think a schedule is really needed. But we have to perform many tasks besides translation, some of which are tied to a schedule we have no control over (accounting, taxes, etc.). Some of these tasks take too little time to be carried out each day, but they have to be done regularly in order for us to stay on top of things and it is a good idea to schedule them (once a week, monthly, bi-monthly, etc.). I pay my taxes each three months. I back up my e-mail, TMs, etc., each month. My translation-related backup is done each week (TMs, TDBs, translated documents, etc.). I also clean up my computer and reinstall everything each six months.

In order to provide for the requirements of these tasks, I need to schedule time. But if the task that makes up the bulk of my business activities, which is translation, is not well scheduled, the other tasks suffer. So yes, I do have a strict schedule.

What is not strict is how I apply that schedule. When I have less work or when something comes up (weddings, medical exams, barbecues, etc.), I stray from my schedule, and that's OK becuase I simply move blocks of time around. So, if I go to a barbecue from 2 to 5, when I'm supposed to be working, then I get those three hours of work done in the evening. It works out great. My schedule is very strict - it even includes lunch time and hourly breaks away from the computer to stretch and have a fruit or something. Some days, I am not hungry when lunch time comes - I then just keep working and schedule lunch for later.

I am surprised that most of us don't seem to have an orderly schedule. I sincerely believe we need that. We need to plan our time wisely in order to be able to respect deadlines, meet government requirements and have time off to enjoy life. We therefore need to be able to quantify the time spent on business tasks, and this can only be achieved through scheduling.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have strict working hours?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »