https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/103994-poll%3A_my_email_inbox_alone_not_folders_contains%3A.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: My email inbox alone (not folders) contains:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 6, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "My email inbox alone (not folders) contains:".

This poll was originally submitted by Nicole Schnell

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new p
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "My email inbox alone (not folders) contains:".

This poll was originally submitted by Nicole Schnell

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Catherine Winzer
Catherine Winzer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:41
German to English
+ ...
It depends on the e-mail program... May 6, 2008

Interesting question, Nicole, I like it

I answered "less than 500". A few months ago I started using the Googlemail interface for my mails, and I "archive" all the mails that I have dealt with (just one click of a button). What is left in my inbox (currently 28 messages) are those which still require some kind of response or action on my part.

However, I also download the mails onto my computer with Out
... See more
Interesting question, Nicole, I like it

I answered "less than 500". A few months ago I started using the Googlemail interface for my mails, and I "archive" all the mails that I have dealt with (just one click of a button). What is left in my inbox (currently 28 messages) are those which still require some kind of response or action on my part.

However, I also download the mails onto my computer with Outlook Express, and in that inbox I have over 5000 messages. When I was using Outlook as my main e-mail interface I tended to just leave the message in the inbox, with a few exceptions.
Collapse

Elisabete Cunha
Elisabete Cunha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:41
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
More than 2000 May 6, 2008

Because of the steady workload, I never seem to find time to do the clean up.

theda
theda  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 16:41
German to French
+ ...
Less then 500 May 6, 2008

I use Thunderbird and try to keep it clean, having folders for each client and cleaning up my Inbox every 2 or 3 days. Since I have direct clients that send me small translations almost every day, I would loose track of what I have already done if I would keep everything in the Inbox. An other issue is having 3 email accounts with different customers on each...

Jenni Jelse
Jenni Jelse  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
As few as possible May 6, 2008

I have around 20 right now, which is about normal for me. I only keep emails that require attention in my inbox, sometimes from clients (but normally I deal with these straight away) and usually personal stuff that I will take care of later.

I keep requests for jobs I am currently working on in a separate folder, and I have separate folders for all my different clients, where I keep old emails.

I also use Outlook to help with invoicing. When I've finished a job I put th
... See more
I have around 20 right now, which is about normal for me. I only keep emails that require attention in my inbox, sometimes from clients (but normally I deal with these straight away) and usually personal stuff that I will take care of later.

I keep requests for jobs I am currently working on in a separate folder, and I have separate folders for all my different clients, where I keep old emails.

I also use Outlook to help with invoicing. When I've finished a job I put the email with the PO in a special folder, when I've written the invoice (usually end of month) I move it to second folder and finally a third folder when the invoice has been sent. This works well for me.

What can I say, I like organising little things like emails when I try to put off working!
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Ok, I get the message... May 6, 2008

I guess it's time for a spring clean!!

Maria Castro
Maria Castro  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
I need some method May 6, 2008

I answered "less than 500".
Everytime I receive emails I analyse if it's worth keeping them and for how long. The important ones I keep in folders while unfinished items are kept in the inbox.

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Two May 6, 2008

And they'll be dealt with and in relevant folders within the next half hour.

Can't handle things not being in their place - but that's OCD for you

Frances Bryce
Frances Bryce  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Great question... made me smile May 6, 2008

I answered less than 500.... but I still think the 183 that I do have and 299 in my sent mail folder to be far too many. I tend to move the 'easy' ones from regular clients/translators into folders as soon as I have finished with them.... but requests for quotes/CVs/interesting trivia tend to sit in my inbox for a long time (even after I've answered them).

I generally get really fed up with it once a month and have a really good purge into folders/trash!

Anette Hilgendag
Anette Hilgendag  Identity Verified
Spain
English to German
+ ...
Just now 8 mails ... May 6, 2008

Just now there are 8 only messages in my in-box left, the rest is neatly stored away in tens of folders and sub-folders.

LinguaLab.net
LinguaLab.net
United Kingdom
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Less than 20 May 6, 2008

I have folders for every client and freelancer, as well as for organisations I am a member of. I flag the most important messages and mark them as 'complete' and archive them once they have been dealt with. I also archive sent messages in their respective folders. A bit excessive perhaps - but I like to have "the end in sight" in my inbox!... See more
I have folders for every client and freelancer, as well as for organisations I am a member of. I flag the most important messages and mark them as 'complete' and archive them once they have been dealt with. I also archive sent messages in their respective folders. A bit excessive perhaps - but I like to have "the end in sight" in my inbox!

Nina
www.lingualab.net

[Edited at 2008-05-06 16:00]
Collapse

jokerman
jokerman
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
significantly more than 2000... May 6, 2008

with the oldest one being from a few years back. And over 1000 in my spam-folder on top of it all, oldest one being from less that two months ago.

I usualy delete all the messages from the spam folder every now and then - time to do it again in a minute, I suppose. However, I basicaly never delete any business related e-mails, I just read them and leave them where they are. That might look like quite a mess, but thanks to the search-feature, finding any message whenever I need it i
... See more
with the oldest one being from a few years back. And over 1000 in my spam-folder on top of it all, oldest one being from less that two months ago.

I usualy delete all the messages from the spam folder every now and then - time to do it again in a minute, I suppose. However, I basicaly never delete any business related e-mails, I just read them and leave them where they are. That might look like quite a mess, but thanks to the search-feature, finding any message whenever I need it is a piece of cake really.

I do, however, try to get some logical structure into my inbox by almost always using an expressive headline for all relevant outgoing e-mails (and also change the headline accordingly when replying to messages rather that just leaving the previos headline with just an additional "AW" as most e-mail applications will do by default). That is usualy a very efficient method to support and speed up the searches.
Collapse

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 12:41
English to Greek
+ ...
Just 6... May 6, 2008

I'm extremely tidy with things I know can get really messy if neglected... Actually, my Gmail inbox used to contain an endless list of 3 years usage. But then, a friend showed me how practical its various labels are, and ever since then, there are times when I have practically NOTHING in my inbox. I only keep in my inbox things I'm afraid I might forget if I put them in some folder.

Of course, the same doesn't apply with my sent items list, from which nothing gets deleted, as wel
... See more
I'm extremely tidy with things I know can get really messy if neglected... Actually, my Gmail inbox used to contain an endless list of 3 years usage. But then, a friend showed me how practical its various labels are, and ever since then, there are times when I have practically NOTHING in my inbox. I only keep in my inbox things I'm afraid I might forget if I put them in some folder.

Of course, the same doesn't apply with my sent items list, from which nothing gets deleted, as well as with the trash bin...
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It's the beginning of the month... May 6, 2008

So I voted less than 500.

I leave them in the in-box and mark a few as 'unread' or with red or blue flags if I want to know where they are.

I archive private mails at once in a separate folder if I don't delete them instead - and I delete all the chit-chat from colleagues, 'job received, thanks', KudoZ, newsletters and things like that as they are finished with or before I turn off the computer - about 20-30 mails a day...

I rarely need to refer to work-re
... See more
So I voted less than 500.

I leave them in the in-box and mark a few as 'unread' or with red or blue flags if I want to know where they are.

I archive private mails at once in a separate folder if I don't delete them instead - and I delete all the chit-chat from colleagues, 'job received, thanks', KudoZ, newsletters and things like that as they are finished with or before I turn off the computer - about 20-30 mails a day...

I rarely need to refer to work-related mails more than a couple of days after they arrive, but it happens, so I leave them for a couple of months just in case. It is not worth archiving them, and I can search for the sender or job number automatically if any questions do arise.

Then when I have made out my invoices at the end of the month, I delete a couple of hundred of the oldest ones that I know have been paid for, archive any that I want to keep, and tidy up.

All jobs and uncleaned files are already archived in my 'finished jobs' system, so I can find them for reference when the same client sends a new job.

But by the end of the month I have about 700 mails in the in-box again...

And the same applies to the outgoing box, except that there are not so many mails.
Collapse

MJ Barber
MJ Barber  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
ummm, 3301 May 6, 2008

I never clean it out. Any I have to do anything about, I mark; the rest just stay there, except mailing lists or similar, which I delete immediately. They don't bother me at all and use up about 30% of the capacity. It's very handy for finding files, acting as a sort of backup - actually I recovered all my invoices for December after I accidentally, um, deleted them.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: My email inbox alone (not folders) contains:

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »