Mobile menu

Poll: KudoZ answerers: what's your favourite question type?
Thread poster: Staff Staff
Local time: 18:39
May 9, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "KudoZ answerers: what's your favourite question type?".

This poll was originally submitted by Marie-Hélène Hayles

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see:

Direct link Reply with quote

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:39
Italian to English
+ ...
I'd forgotten about this poll! May 9, 2008

I should make it clear that I'm not asking about what question type you answer most often, but which one you prefer - because you find it more challenging, more stimulating, you like the other answerers who lurk in there, or whatever.

For me, it's the monolingual English section (i.e. monolingual target language), because there's a great bunch of people in there who have a genuinely cooperative approach to Kudoz solving - there've been some great brain-storming sessions over the years. I've certainly learnt a lot from them.

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:39
English to Arabic
+ ...
Target to source May 9, 2008

The questions I prefer answering are Arabic (my target) to English (my source). My personal reason is that there aren't that many native English speakers who answer Arabic>English Kudoz questions (currently, I can only think of a handful - sometimes there's even less of them around), which means that competition is limited - a bit presumptuous of me I guess!

[Edited at 2008-05-09 15:13]

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:39
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
My languages and my fields May 9, 2008

I tend to answer to questions posted in my language pair (English into Italian) and my fields of expertise (Technical, Scientific, Marketing).
Only there I can give help with some confidence to a colleague in need.

I read some questions posted in other fields to learn and peer-grade, if I have some knowledge about the specific term asked.

[Edited at 2008-05-09 15:10]

English to French
+ ...
Explanatory May 9, 2008

Explanatory questions/answers are my favourite. Preferably in my mother tongue… you know the strange phrases or expressions that allude to some very specific aspect of a culture/language. Sometimes even close to ‘private jokes’.

As a rule, I find that askers have a very short definition of ‘context’… they know their source text, answerers don’t.

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 21:39
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Target to Source II May 9, 2008

When I first started answering KudoZ questions, I thought it would be like translation jobs: easiest to translate INTO one's native language.

But now my favorites are those from English (my target language) into Spanish (my source language), specifically those to which I can contribute some native-speaker sensitivity or a little-known fact that solves the problem.

My best example was "rout" in a context that gave the asker almost no help. Merely because I happen to be an avid reader of the novels of Georgette Heyer, I could see that the reference was to a "rout PARTY." (Don't know Heyer? Think Jane Austen with a lighter touch. NOT to be confused with vapid, formulaic "romance" novels.)

Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ones that I understand May 9, 2008

unlike this one, initially.
I suppose answering proz queries into Spanish, my usual tt source, feels more rewarding. As for French, (rusty) even more so ... the enjoyment is proportional to the effort involved...

United Kingdom
Local time: 02:39
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Other - N/A May 11, 2008

I have no favourite question type - I just enjoy being able to help other translators out from time to time!

Anita du Plessis  Identity Verified
South Africa
Member (2008)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Source to Target May 11, 2008

I like doing questions from English to Afrikaans, as we have a relatively young language and it is still a challenge to find the correct terminology, especially in the scientific and technical field. Sometimes we really have to be innovative and create new words. I do enjoy the input of my fellow translators as well, it is a lot like brain gymnastics.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Paula Durrosier[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: KudoZ answerers: what's your favourite question type?

Advanced search

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs