Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:35
English to French
+ ...
I am sure any Central American would know which of the two to pick May 15, 2008

I am a bit surprised by the above comments about partial continents or regions "forgotten" in the poll question. It's just a poll. I don't think we are meant to get into it in detail. Besides, the modern definition of North America is Canada, US and Mexico, so if you in Central America and not in Mexico, it's not hard to figure out that you are, for the purposes of this poll, in South America.

If we were to get picky about it, then many of our colleagues in the ex-USSR should compla
... See more
I am a bit surprised by the above comments about partial continents or regions "forgotten" in the poll question. It's just a poll. I don't think we are meant to get into it in detail. Besides, the modern definition of North America is Canada, US and Mexico, so if you in Central America and not in Mexico, it's not hard to figure out that you are, for the purposes of this poll, in South America.

If we were to get picky about it, then many of our colleagues in the ex-USSR should complain as well - part of them is in Europe and part of them in Asia. And what would our Turkish colleagues in Ankara say? Could they say that their left hand is in Asia and their right hand is in Europe?
Collapse

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:35
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Other May 15, 2008

Russia straddles across two continents: Europe and Asia. Which one to choose ?

"Other" is correct answer May 15, 2008

Rafael Molina Pulgar wrote:

I answered "Other", because I am neither in North America nor in South America, but in the Caribbean. I wonder what Central American would say too.

I think you answered right. Neither North, nor South.
Few years ago in this same Poll, there were similar arguments (which I don't recall in detail, but the matter was over geographical definition).

If you don't want to get down to nitty gritty (and, alas poll space for poster is very limited), "other" option is probably the best choice.

Is Siberia Asia, or Europe (due to the fact it belong to Russia)?
How about Turkey?
Where is the conventional wisdom?

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:35
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
South America May 15, 2008

From Rosario, Argentina to be more precise

http://www.rosarioturismo.com/

Cheers everyone!

Letty

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Ex European ;) May 15, 2008

I am an ex European, now I am happily living in the US, so I chose North America, doesn't look like it helped much

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:35
French to Spanish
+ ...
Geography is not picky. May 15, 2008

Costa Rica can't be in South America, nor Canada in Southern North Pole.

Keren Terret
Keren Terret
Israel
Local time: 11:35
Hebrew to English
+ ...
Middle East May 15, 2008

I'm in Israel, a truly special place.

Nice poll!

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:35
English to Arabic
+ ...
What Wikipedia says: May 15, 2008

"Number of continents

There are numerous ways of distinguishing the continents;

7 Continents model:
North America
South America
Antarctica
Africa
Europe
Asia
Australia

6 Continents model:
North America
South America
Antarctica
Africa
Eurasia
Australia

6 Continents model:
America
Antarctica
Africa
Europe
Asia
Australia

... See more
"Number of continents

There are numerous ways of distinguishing the continents;

7 Continents model:
North America
South America
Antarctica
Africa
Europe
Asia
Australia

6 Continents model:
North America
South America
Antarctica
Africa
Eurasia
Australia

6 Continents model:
America
Antarctica
Africa
Europe
Asia
Australia

5 Continents model:
America
Africa
Europe
Asia
Australia

5 Continents model:
America
Antarctica
Africa
Eurasia
Australia

4 Continents model:
America
Antarctica
Afro-Eurasia
Australia

The seven-continent model is usually taught in Western Europe, Northern Europe, Central Europe, Southeastern Europe, China and most English-speaking countries.
The six-continent combined-Eurasia model is preferred by the geographic community, Russia, Eastern Europe, and Japan.
The six-continent combined-America model is taught in Latin America, the Iberian Peninsula, Italy, Iran, Greece and some other parts of Europe. This model may be taught to include only the five inhabited continents (excluding Antarctica) — as depicted in the Olympic logo."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent#Beyond_four_continents

Without wanting to offend anybody (and it's certainly none of my business at all), none of these models mention Central America as a separate continent, so consequently it has to "belong" to one of the continents mentioned above, shouldn't it?

------------------------

PS: Oh ok, unless counting "America" as one continent encompasses North, South and Central as 3 separate regions ... Is that it?

[Edited at 2008-05-15 19:24]
Collapse

Venkatesh Sundaram
Venkatesh Sundaram  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:05
German to English
Asia too! May 15, 2008

Dennis Seine wrote:

Apparently there is still a lot of room for growth in for instance North America for Proz!

There's lots of room in Asia too for sure!

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Why doesn't it surprise me? May 15, 2008

It was logical to suppose that Europe sustained a bigger industry.

What I'd really be curious to know is something that the poll function can't support, but statistical compilation might: member language combinations in order of frequency (a directory survey).

I've been curious about this since reading somewhere that over 90% of the industry takes place in some 10-14 languages, and a thesis that said that some 6 languages could be considered as most active (in terms of
... See more
It was logical to suppose that Europe sustained a bigger industry.

What I'd really be curious to know is something that the poll function can't support, but statistical compilation might: member language combinations in order of frequency (a directory survey).

I've been curious about this since reading somewhere that over 90% of the industry takes place in some 10-14 languages, and a thesis that said that some 6 languages could be considered as most active (in terms of publication), whilst a second group of languages could be considered "intermediate" (pivot?) languages, more or less regionally grouped together. This seems to indicate a hierachy of communication, whereby exchanges between the dominant and intermediate group would be more common than direct exchanges between the dominant group and the rest, or exchanges amongst the rest.

Not that the offer is equivalent to the demand, but it can be indicative of a kind of "survival status" of combinations...
Collapse

yam2u
yam2u  Identity Verified
United States
English to Malay
+ ...
Greetings from the Northeastern Seaboard! May 15, 2008

This is a great poll, i Translate!

I suspected a very large European presence in Proz.com, but never realized how high the representation until now. Almost 70%, wow!

Congratulations, my European colleagues for leading the participation in the most robust translation portal in the worldwideweb.

-may-

[Edited at 2008-05-15 21:24]

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No surprises here ... May 15, 2008

As we are an essential 'facilitator' of the global economy it is to be expected that the greatest concentration of translators will be found in those countries that do the greatest amount of trade (where I use 'trade' in its widest possible sense) with countries having different national languages.

The five biggest economies in Europe all have different languages and their biggest trade partners are each of the other four, plus countries in Asia each having its own language*.
... See more
As we are an essential 'facilitator' of the global economy it is to be expected that the greatest concentration of translators will be found in those countries that do the greatest amount of trade (where I use 'trade' in its widest possible sense) with countries having different national languages.

The five biggest economies in Europe all have different languages and their biggest trade partners are each of the other four, plus countries in Asia each having its own language*.

And that's leaving aside the huge 'institutional' demand created by the EU and the many other multilingual organizations that abound in Europe.

Little surprise, therefore, that Europe comes top of the translator-density chart.

MediaMatrix

* Also, of course, countries that share their own language, often for ex-colonial reasons (e.g. UK vis à vis the US, Spain vis à vis Latin America), but that creates little for translation per se.
Collapse

AniseK
AniseK  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 16:35
Japanese to English
+ ...
Surprised! May 16, 2008

I am very surprised to see this poll result. I am in Asia, and as Asia being the largest continent, I would have thought that the highest ProZ users will be from this region.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Geography versus geology May 16, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

Geologically, I *think* Central America is a subcontinent at the southern tip of North America. Anyone know for sure?

When you speak of subcontinent... May 16, 2008

Steven Capsuto wrote:

Geologically, I *think* Central America is a subcontinent at the southern tip of North America. Anyone know for sure?

Sorry but I have to disagree.
I never heard Central America is a subcontinent.
Most famous and only known subcontinent is India.
Please see for definition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subcontinent

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Where in the world are you?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »