S.Paramesh Kumar
S.Paramesh Kumar  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:18
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Come on Asia - Chak dé May 16, 2008

I guess we Asians put in long hours at work, many a time without weekends.
All the same perhaps a wee bit lethargic when it comes to polls.

Great going Europe!!

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:48
English to Arabic
+ ...
Poll/forum participation May 16, 2008

I think the results don't quite reflect the real representation of translators on Proz.
As Parmesh indicated, participation in polls/forums isn't equal across the board. I have noticed over the past year that hardly any of my Arabic translator colleagues (of which there are many, as the Kudoz pages confirm) participate in the poll discussions, and very few of them in other forums. I can't really say why that is though.

Rafael Molina Pulgar
Rafael Molina Pulgar  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:48
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I totally agree with this proposition May 16, 2008

I would have chosen as alternatives North-America and Latin America. Then Mexico and Panama and the rest would have no doubt where to click.

Anita du Plessis
Anita du Plessis  Identity Verified
South Africa
Local time: 02:48
Member (2008)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Africa May 16, 2008

Hi everybody from the most southern point in Africa. Yes, in South Africa there are indeed a lot of languages. There are eleven official languages, and the miracle is that we all seem to communicate just fine! Everybody is able to understand at least one of the other languages, usually Afrikaans or English.

Xochili
Xochili
Local time: 18:48
English to Spanish
Central America May 16, 2008

Hi, I voted South America because there was no CENTRAL AMERICA!!! We are here!!!!

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:48
English to French
+ ...
Ahem... No. May 16, 2008

Williamson wrote:

Yes, the EU-generates all that translation work.

I am afraid that is not quite the case. For example, I work out of Montreal, and trust me, the bulk of the contracts I work on was generated anywhere but in Canada - and I almost never get to work on texts that were written in Europe.

A simple explanation for the fact that the bulk of translation contracts is processed by our European colleagues is that the world's most popular languages are all present there, so the pool of translators that end clients are looking for is located in Europe. Most large businesses do have their documentation translated into German, Spanish, English, French, Portuguese, even Russian and other Central European languages. But there are only a few who also get their stuff translated into, say, Urdu, Tagalog, Arabian, Ewondo, etc.

Another explanation is that people buy in Europe - that may not be the case on certain other continents, where there are more underdeveloped nations. I don't think there are many people in Ethiopia who have a microwave oven, so manufacturers most likely will not get their documentation translated into their language.

A third reason is that translation services are much cheaper in Europe than they are in North America, for example. There are many talented translators here translating from English to Spanish, for example - but none of them can earn a humble living at 5 cents per word, even full time, as would be the case in Spain.

The EU does generate a huge amount of translatable text - but not enough to justify that nearly 70% of translators on ProZ are in Europe. There are other factors as well.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Central America is not a continent May 16, 2008

Look up North America, South America and Central America in a dictionary.

The purpose of this poll is to get a general appreciation of translator distribution over the World. If Central America, the Caribbeans, countries split between two continents and other, more complicated answers were added to the poll answers, I am afraid this poll would not have been feasible, because it would have required at least three times as many answers.

Why do I find that it is fas
... See more
Look up North America, South America and Central America in a dictionary.

The purpose of this poll is to get a general appreciation of translator distribution over the World. If Central America, the Caribbeans, countries split between two continents and other, more complicated answers were added to the poll answers, I am afraid this poll would not have been feasible, because it would have required at least three times as many answers.

Why do I find that it is fashionable these days to criticize polls? If you don't like the poll, don't answer it. I guess I will just stop posting my own polls...

[Edited at 2008-05-16 17:16]
Collapse

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
unbelievable May 17, 2008

...Europe is still leading in this industry
Greetings from Budapest, Hungary

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
EU May 18, 2008

The EU does generate a huge amount of translatable text - but not enough to justify that nearly 70% of translators on ProZ are in Europe. There are other factors as well.

Besides, they are an international institution and have quite a few in-house translators.
Free-lance translators have to go through a long and difficult procedure to get a framework contract for 3 years (+1+1 extensions) and are not guaranteed any work when they have one.
I signed my 1st framework contract in 1997 and was offered a 1st job in 1999. I was awarded a second contract in 2003 and the first jobs were posted on their portal only in 2006...

That much work?

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:48
Italian to Russian
+ ...
It's an optimistic poll May 18, 2008

70 per cent is not coverage, but translators activism indicator. I consider the result as being highly reassuring, and I see that melting pot still melts. Carry on !

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Well, not quite May 23, 2008

Erzsébet Czopyk wrote:

...Europe is still leading in this industry
Greetings from Budapest, Hungary

To be more precise, Europe is still leading in the effective marketing of ProZ.

Alain Fontaine
Alain Fontaine
English to French
+ ...
I agree May 29, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
... I work out of Montreal, and trust me, the bulk of the contracts I work on was generated anywhere but in Canada - and I almost never get to work on texts that were written in Europe.

Same for me.
I am in France, but I work exclusively for a translation agency in Taiwan translating mostly manuals and software for IT or electronic companies based in Taiwan and with most of their production coming out of China.

Martin Perazzo
Martin Perazzo  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Has to do with increased trade & market access May 29, 2008

I believe the apparent glut of translators in Europe is due, in large part, not as much to the EU as a generator of work, but as a generator of access to different markets. When a country gains accession to the EU, it automatically gains access to markets that were previously closed (or far harder to access), so companies looking to broaden their markets naturally translate their manuals, instructions, etc. into the target market languages. Companies seeking to market/distribute their products t... See more
I believe the apparent glut of translators in Europe is due, in large part, not as much to the EU as a generator of work, but as a generator of access to different markets. When a country gains accession to the EU, it automatically gains access to markets that were previously closed (or far harder to access), so companies looking to broaden their markets naturally translate their manuals, instructions, etc. into the target market languages. Companies seeking to market/distribute their products throughout the EU must translate product labels & other print material into at least 15 different languages! So the reason there are more translators in Europe is, by and large, based on economic & commercial considerations.
Also, let's not forget that although geographically small, Europe is an economic juggernaut with a population of over 500 million, plus an incredible number of languages and language combinations to boot. In addition, over the years I've found that companies generally view translation as a non-essential plus, and tend to require more translations as their economic/financial situation improves (and vice-versa). In times of crisis, translation is one of the first budget items to get "downsized" or even eliminated...

Martin (living in Barcelona, thus adding to the European bias)
Collapse

peter arnout
peter arnout
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
many more languages May 29, 2008

In Europe, we speak many more languages that are effectively used in economic life. Tha'ts why there are more Europeans in the breakdown.

peter arnout
peter arnout
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
US will be latin very soon May 29, 2008

Rafael Molina Pulgar wrote:

I would have chosen as alternatives North-America and Latin America. Then Mexico and Panama and the rest would have no doubt where to click.

Hi, I guess that in that case, the US will be part of Latin-America within some decades

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Where in the world are you?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »