Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What kind of Training would you like to attend?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:35
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Professional standards May 18, 2008

B D Finch wrote:
Yes, and given the evidence of really unskilled pseudo translation, I am concerned at how, through ProZ itself, we seem to be helping a few people, who are not linguists at all, to establish themselves as translators. Part of the definition of a profession is that it exercises control over entry in order to maintain professional standards.

I am sorry, but I must say that I have known many people with degrees and M.Sc.'s in translation and linguistics producing lousy translations (for whatever the reason, may it be lack of knowledge about the matter, lack of attention, carelessness, boredom...), and also many people who never studied translation or linguistics but are great translators and write beautifully.

So if maintaining "professional standards" means that "control over entry" will be based upon checking whether you have a degree in translation or linguistics... translation customers will get awful translations in many cases.

In my opinion, the best "control over entry" is the market: a bad translator can never get much work in the long run. Also independent, not degree-related testing, like the ATA exams for instance, are an alternative.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:35
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Agree with Tomás May 18, 2008

I never graduated from college, never took a translation course or any other kind of translation-related training. I've always been a self-taught type of person and have learned a lot more this way than I ever did in school. In fact, I'd stay that around 75% of any formal training I've had (elementary school, high school, college, etc.) was a waste of time. So my answer to the poll is that I would never take any of the courses described.

Amy

Ikram Mahyuddin
Ikram Mahyuddin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 00:35
English to Indonesian
+ ...
CAT Tools May 19, 2008

Maybe I have to attend training on how to use CAT Tools, more and more people use it everyday, but actually I don't like those tools. In fact, I am only interested in attending training on how to become a rich translator

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:35
Flemish to English
+ ...
My ideal translator-interpreter course program. May 19, 2008

(Refresher) course program...

1. A refresher course of the grammar (semantics, syntax) of the languages in my head.
2. Learning extra languages of the same family i.e. in my case mainly romance languages (same structure and related vocabulary).
3. Stylistics + exercises in translation of different registers.
4. Sociolinguistics (different levels of language)5. Hardware, networks and telecommunication tools.
5. All the software at our disposal: Office, differe
... See more
(Refresher) course program...

1. A refresher course of the grammar (semantics, syntax) of the languages in my head.
2. Learning extra languages of the same family i.e. in my case mainly romance languages (same structure and related vocabulary).
3. Stylistics + exercises in translation of different registers.
4. Sociolinguistics (different levels of language)5. Hardware, networks and telecommunication tools.
5. All the software at our disposal: Office, different-CAT-M.T.-speech recognition.
6. Factors to determine rates and conditions-on-line payment tools (paypal, moneybookers, moneygram)....
7. Law: especially on payment-delays,contracts and credit recovery.
---
8. Interpreting

[Edited at 2008-05-19 07:17]
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Professional standards May 19, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:

B D Finch wrote:
Yes, and given the evidence of really unskilled pseudo translation, I am concerned at how, through ProZ itself, we seem to be helping a few people, who are not linguists at all, to establish themselves as translators. Part of the definition of a profession is that it exercises control over entry in order to maintain professional standards.

I am sorry, but I must say that I have known many people with degrees and M.Sc.'s in translation and linguistics producing lousy translations (for whatever the reason, may it be lack of knowledge about the matter, lack of attention, carelessness, boredom...), and also many people who never studied translation or linguistics but are great translators and write beautifully.

In my opinion, the best "control over entry" is the market: a bad translator can never get much work in the long run.

The worst translation I have ever revised was written by someone with a degree in languages and translation.

I agree with Tomas - truth will out, and translators who aren't up to the mark will fall by the wayside, sooner or later (If you'll excuse my excessive use of idiomatic phrases!).

I voted CAT training, as I'm sure I could improve my productivity (or at least make my life easier) if I were able to use more of the features of my CAT tool.

and of course, my reason for wanting to improve my productivity is as Ikram says

Ikram Mahyuddin wrote:

In fact, I am only interested in attending training on how to become a rich translator

[Edited at 2008-05-19 09:08]

Sonja Allen
Sonja Allen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:35
English to German
+ ...
Translation skills May 19, 2008

I have voted for translation theory and practice although I could also do with some training in Trados too, but I find the translations issue itself more important than CAT. It is not that I think I produce lousy translations but working on my own, I often miss the exchange with other translators on how they would solve one translation problem or the other or to get some feedback to know where I stand. No one can constantly produce the perfect translation and with languages there is always a lea... See more
I have voted for translation theory and practice although I could also do with some training in Trados too, but I find the translations issue itself more important than CAT. It is not that I think I produce lousy translations but working on my own, I often miss the exchange with other translators on how they would solve one translation problem or the other or to get some feedback to know where I stand. No one can constantly produce the perfect translation and with languages there is always a learning curve. I know there is Kudoz for the odd translation problem and it has often been of great help for me but a course or workshop where you could discuss and exchange some common translation issues with other participants and a knowledgeable trainer I would find very attractive. I have trained as a translator before becoming freelance but translation is such a broad subject that the training could simply not prepare you for everything.Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes! May 19, 2008

Sonja Allen wrote:
It is not that I think I produce lousy translations but working on my own, I often miss the exchange with other translators on how they would solve one translation problem or the other or to get some feedback to know where I stand. No one can constantly produce the perfect translation and with languages there is always a learning curve.

Yes, I entirely agree with this. My interest too, really.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
My vote: financial issues May 19, 2008

Why?

It's this overhead that costs dearly and eats away at our core translation time. Having books in order and invoicing running smoothly is a boost to our productivity.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What kind of Training would you like to attend?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »