https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/105380-poll%3A_do_you_do_volunteer_work.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you do volunteer work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 23, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you do volunteer work?".

This poll was originally submitted by Keren Terret

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you do volunteer work?".

This poll was originally submitted by Keren Terret

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 11:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Both May 23, 2008

I do volunteer work(much less now than I would wish): some of it is translation related and some not. Had to go for N/A therefore.

[Edited at 2008-05-23 14:24]

Venkatesh Sundaram
Venkatesh Sundaram  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 15:15
German to English
Answer choices could be framed taking both possibilites into account May 23, 2008

aceavila - Noni wrote:

I do volunteer work(much less now than I would wish): some of it is translation related and some not. Had to go for N/A therefore.

My situation is similar to that of Noni - some of the volunteer work is translation - related, most is not; hence I answered 'yes but not related to translation'. The possibility of answering 'both translation and non - translation related' has not been offered!

Nathalie White
Nathalie White  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 10:45
English to French
+ ...
Yes May 23, 2008

I'm a volunteer translator for a Spanish non-profit organisation. It involves the translation from ES>FR of Web content once or twice a month.

I mainly decided to take this 'job' on for the translation experience it could provide me with. Plus it doesn't hurt to do something free for others once in a while!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Will offer it when I retire May 23, 2008

I would love to. Unfortunately my work does not allow me much time for volunteering, and I feel bad about it. Offering volunteer translation is something I have in store to start immediately after I retire, along with some other goals. NGOs will have to wait for some 23-25 years more I'm affraid! But when I start, I will do as much as they ask me to.

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try it! May 23, 2008

I had to vote N/A because I do a bit of both.

For years now I have been working with a group which is connected to the jesuit school where my daughters studied. It's called Magis, meaning that you try give the best part of yourself.

We work in a very marginal area outside the city, partly in the elementary school and partly in installations loaned by the local church. What we try to do is offer our professional assistance pro bono; with the assistance of other group m
... See more
I had to vote N/A because I do a bit of both.

For years now I have been working with a group which is connected to the jesuit school where my daughters studied. It's called Magis, meaning that you try give the best part of yourself.

We work in a very marginal area outside the city, partly in the elementary school and partly in installations loaned by the local church. What we try to do is offer our professional assistance pro bono; with the assistance of other group members who are not professionals. We have pediatricians, gynecologists, and so forth. For example, as a lawyer, I organized and worked in a group that tried to solve the countless documentation problems of the people in the "asentamiento" and we took family law cases to court. I've had to leave that group now, due to time constraints.

As a "madre de apoyo" I go with some dentists to the school where we teach children how and why to brush their teeth, and we apply flouride as appropiate. This means that some days I clean dozens of toothbrushes, other days I talk to the children while they wait for the dentists to check their mouths for cavities. And each time I go I try to give out a lot of love, but I always end up receiving more than I gave out.

Now that I'm working in translation, I've worked pro bono for an NGO for which I felt the greatest admiration for a long time before I contacted them. So it is in fact a priviledge to translate for them; the work they do in public health is amazing and inspiring.

The reason I'm going into all these details is because I hope that other people who read this and maybe haven't had the time or the inclination to do volunteer work will see how easy it really is. These things I do are very simple, anyone can do them. Believe me, I get much more out of it than what I put in. I see it as sharing some of the gifts that God gave me without my having done anything to deserve them. And to be very honest, I have always had a lot of fun. The undeniable heartache over situations that can't be fixed is compensated by the support we have always received from the most unexpected sources.

Try it !

Lucía
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:45
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Writing but not translating May 23, 2008

The types of volunteer work I do vary from year to year.

Recently, I've been volunteering at a neighborhood community history archive, writing captions for photos from the 1970s and 1980s. Most of the other volunteers are either too young to remember the people and the events, or they moved to the area relatively recently.

[Edited at 2008-05-23 16:09]

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Volunteering May 23, 2008

I don't call helping out here and there - with translations or other work - "volunteering". I used to do my share but have very little time now.

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
me, too, BOTH May 23, 2008

Venkatesh Sundaram wrote:

aceavila - Noni wrote:

My situation is similar to that of Noni - some of the volunteer work is translation - related, most is not; hence I answered 'yes but not related to translation'. The possibility of answering 'both translation and non - translation related' has not been offered!

Me, too! But I answered "yes" to translation volunteering, since I do that, as well as other things.

I got a really great volunteer opportunity last January at the National Historical Park in Tumacácori, just north of where I live. For 3 months, I led "River Walks" on Sundays along the Santa Cruz, explaining about the ecology of the river and how it supports wildlife (particularly avian). On top of that, I'm also supposed to be translating 18th century mission documents for the Park. Unfortunately, I've gotten so busy, I had to drop that for now, but I just loved it.

I really believe in volunteering. Ever since I went free-lance in 2000, I've done some sort of volunteer work for a few hours every week. I delivered food to shut-ins and ran a "Conversation Cafe" where people would come to have a discussion on a topic the participants chose. When I moved to my current community, I didn't get connected at first, but now I am am. I also volunteer for an environmental group that protects our little river and for political causes.

What I like most is the change--getting out, away from the computer, and around people. (Of course, the mission documents are just like regular work, but I was still having fun!)

French Foodie
French Foodie  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
both! May 23, 2008

Both is what I would have liked to answer as well.

I don't do nearly as much as I would like (things like mortgage, groceries and car payments tend to get in the way...), but I have volunteered my translation services for Translators without Borders.

I also give a lot of my time to the community - volunteering at my daughters' school, as tresurer for my amateur theatre troupe, and a lot of time helping set up and organize community events since my husband is a municipa
... See more
Both is what I would have liked to answer as well.

I don't do nearly as much as I would like (things like mortgage, groceries and car payments tend to get in the way...), but I have volunteered my translation services for Translators without Borders.

I also give a lot of my time to the community - volunteering at my daughters' school, as tresurer for my amateur theatre troupe, and a lot of time helping set up and organize community events since my husband is a municipal counsellor.

I like the fact that I am helping others far away through my volunteer translation work, but also on a local level - it's great to actually SEE the difference being made.
Collapse

patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just translation related... May 23, 2008

I do translation work for a wonderful project called "El niño, la mar y la paz" . From the beginning I so fell in love with the idea that I decided to work pro bono. If anyone wants to check out the project you can, here: http://www.zamna.com/

I'm also toying with the idea of volunteering Spanish to English translation services for any material that promotes vegetarianism as a way to help save the p
... See more
I do translation work for a wonderful project called "El niño, la mar y la paz" . From the beginning I so fell in love with the idea that I decided to work pro bono. If anyone wants to check out the project you can, here: http://www.zamna.com/

I'm also toying with the idea of volunteering Spanish to English translation services for any material that promotes vegetarianism as a way to help save the planet. If anyone knows who I could contact to follow through with this idea I'd be grateful.

Paty
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Both May 23, 2008

But since the translation-related volunteer work is a lot less than the work I do that is not translation-related, I voted 'not-translation related'.

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Translation-related May 23, 2008

I do medical pro-bono translations on a regular basis.

No need to go into further detail

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
both May 23, 2008

So I selected yes, translation related.
Since those who do both kinds of volunteer work have selected all of the possible, positive answers, this poll is not going to have a very reliable result...

Chantal Kamgne
Chantal Kamgne  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
Translation-related May 23, 2008

I am not a medical translator, but

Andrea Riffo wrote:

I do medical pro-bono translations on a regular basis.

No need to go into further detail

Exactly.

And for me, it has to do with a particular specialization field.

[Modifié le 2008-05-23 19:06]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you do volunteer work?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »