Mobile menu

Poll: Do you keep the files of potential jobs you didn't accept?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 22:14
SITE STAFF
Jun 11, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you keep the files of potential jobs you didn't accept?".

This poll was originally submitted by MAllaqui

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Direct link Reply with quote

irishpolyglot
Ireland
Local time: 06:14
French to English
+ ...
No, but it's stored in my email account Jun 11, 2008

For me the answer is a simple no. If I turn it down then I have no need for it to clutter my system. Technically I "keep" it in my email archive, but it's not stored in the same organisation as my actual work.
The only exception would be if something potentially useful was sent in a job, such as a lexicon or work related to something from a regular client, if that document has some explanations in it. At least having the email storage means I can refer back to an unaccepted document for help in understand a later accepted one if it's from the same end-client.

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 00:14
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
Temp Folder Jun 11, 2008

I have a Temp folder in my Documents folder; if I receive a potential job, I save the files in Temp/Trans/[client]. If my quote is accepted, I just move the files to a permanent folder. If not, I just leave them in the Temp folder, which I delete every week or so.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 07:14
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Occasionally, from regular clients, as reference Jun 11, 2008

Some of the jobs I do for regular clients are 'ongoing stories', and if I have to refuse a job because I simply don't have time,
I may keep the file anyway as reference.

If there is nothing special in them, and they are just further descriptions of the usual products, or similar, I delete them -
I rarely have time to search through very large archives apart from the TMs and Multiterm.

I have just had to send on a job with a story about a new CEO in the company, which was somewhat unexpected, at least to peripheral associates like me. (I haven't even had time to read it yet - or search the Net for the official story.) That one will be filed for future reference.

But normally I have enough clutter to sort and archive - so
I keep them a week or a month and then delete them.

My nightmare is that I refuse a job and the agency says
I promised to do it... I have to keep the evidence until the deadline just in case!

Happy translating!!!

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:14
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sometimes Jun 11, 2008

Like Christine, if I think it's a client or subject I might be interested in, I will save the correspondence in my e-mail files. But I delete most of the inquiries.

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jun 11, 2008

Maybe I burn my bridges, but I do it for the sake of confidentiality.

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes? What for? Jun 11, 2008

I don't get it....

If it is from a regular customer, why don't you accept the job?

If it is from a non-customer, what's the use of the files?

Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
opposite Jun 11, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:

I don't get it....

We always do storage the files, if there is no another request to delete it.
In some cases, the potential client made a different decision and finally we get the job - last time it happened to us with a file sent in the beginning of April; the client is rejected our quote and suddenly appeared in the beginning of June and said if we still can do it, the job is ours.
When I informed him there is no need to send the file again, because of saving, the client was really happy.

[Módosítva: 2008-06-11 23:12]

Mariam Osmann
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
yes, in my mail account Jun 12, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:

I don't get it....

I have folders for each of my regular customers and one for new clients, in my mail account, but on my computer only those of regular clients.
About potential jobs, It may happen that you as freelancer can't accept the job because you are working on another one, but later you may be asked to proofread the same job OR you get a second batch from the same project and you accept it.
I consider the folder of the first batch as the most precious or valuable when it contains a TM or end client specifications that your client may forget to include or just simply ignore them when It's about proofreading or the second batch of a past project.

[Edited at 2008-06-12 00:24]

xxxInterlangue
Angola
English to French
+ ...
Other/n.a. Jun 12, 2008

Only for some customers, and usually for a while only (cleaning up is done at the end of every year).
For most customers, I keep the files in my e-mail account, for one always on my HDD: every job is a restricted tender; upon notification, we have to get the files from their portal, then wait to know whether we do get the job or not.

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ditto Jun 12, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:

I don't get it....

My thoughts exactly.

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Usually, in my e-mail Jun 12, 2008

But I don't save it elsewhere. If it's from a regular customer I'll save it in the relevant folder in my e-mail account, if it's a potential job I delete it and it'll eventually disappear when I clear the Trash.

To Tomas and John: don't you ever turn down jobs from regular customers? I have to, regularly.

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Never turn down jobs from regular customers Jun 12, 2008

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:
To Tomas and John: don't you ever turn down jobs from regular customers? I have to, regularly.

No, never... The only regular customer we turn down jobs from is a customer who insists in paying half of what others pay. We will continue to turn down jobs until the rate is fair. For all customers with a reasonable rate, we do everything they request, no matter the effort.

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
If I did that, I'd be working 24 hours a day 7 days a week! Jun 12, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

No, never... The only regular customer we turn down jobs from is a customer who insists in paying half of what others pay. We will continue to turn down jobs until the rate is fair. For all customers with a reasonable rate, we do everything they request, no matter the effort.

But perhaps we're talking about the difference between an agency and a freelancer, as you use "we".

xanthippe  Identity Verified
France
Italian to French
+ ...
No... Jun 12, 2008

beacuse of confidentiality.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you keep the files of potential jobs you didn't accept?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs