Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Smart translators share. Do you agree?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 2, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Smart translators share. Do you agree?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:36
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Smart translators share *what*? Jul 2, 2008

What a bafflingly vague question.

Diana Arbiser
Diana Arbiser  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why, of course Jul 2, 2008

Steven Capsuto wrote:

What a bafflingly vague question.

I understand we are talking about sharing terminology, tips, tricks of the trade... If so, my experience has been that the more you give, the more you receive when sharing with others.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 11:36
English to German
+ ...
With Steven.. Jul 2, 2008

Share what, we have been sharing almost all tricks, work arounds, tips through so many forums. I guess that makes us smart. Why this new Smart translators share ? It will be another month before this is published, I know. Brandis

Yamila Sosa
Yamila Sosa  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:36
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not neccesarily... Jul 2, 2008

Smartness does not necessarily depend on sharing.

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
What's the use of poll questions nobody understands? Jul 2, 2008

I wonder if there's anybody revising the poll questions before they are sent on-line. What's the use of a poll question nobody understands? Share _what_? Share experience? Share projects? Share TM's? I could give far more examples..

Oleg Rudavin
Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 12:36
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
It refers to Henry's newsletter Jul 2, 2008

...[June news] - the subject of which is "Smart translators share"

Presumably, part (2) is the core of it?

Cheers,
Oleg

Define "smart translator" Jul 2, 2008

I don't know why I should bother.
Please let me be candid, then I say this unto you ....

"This is the stupidest question I ever come across."

Are you out of poll question questions?

[Edited at 2008-07-02 19:45]

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
A bit harsh Jul 2, 2008

I think some of the replies here are a bit harsh. I read the poll and knew immediately what was meant, although I hadn't read Henry's article. Sharing, as translators, obviously means sharing knowledge, tips, and all the great topics we talk about on these forums. Why does this make us smart? Because, as one poster put it, the more we give, the more we get. Conversely, "not smart" might mean someone who refuses to share these things, for whatever reason. Such a person is probably thinking the w... See more
I think some of the replies here are a bit harsh. I read the poll and knew immediately what was meant, although I hadn't read Henry's article. Sharing, as translators, obviously means sharing knowledge, tips, and all the great topics we talk about on these forums. Why does this make us smart? Because, as one poster put it, the more we give, the more we get. Conversely, "not smart" might mean someone who refuses to share these things, for whatever reason. Such a person is probably thinking the word "smart" means knowledgeable or intellectual...not necessarily.

Amy
Collapse

Oleg Rudavin
Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 12:36
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
+1 Jul 2, 2008

Amy Duncan wrote:the more we give, the more we get

One example: I've been working hard to inform the RU community that the rates we charge are way below the "average" (whatever it means) ones. The result is, the ludicrous x-cent offers are less frequent now, because the community knows better; and clients more readily agree to my higher rates

U want the situation to get better? Do something!

Cheers,
Oleg

[Edited at 2008-07-02 20:09]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:36
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Amy said it perfectly Jul 2, 2008

Amy Duncan wrote:

Sharing, as translators, obviously means sharing knowledge, tips, and all the great topics we talk about on these forums. Why does this make us smart? Because, as one poster put it, the more we give, the more we get.

Amy

If you haven't read her full comment, please do.

Definition of "smart":
# showing mental alertness and calculation and resourcefulness
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

They all apply. The mental alertness is seeing the advantage; the calculation is: "If I give to others, they will give back to me"; and the resourcefulness is saving oneself the trouble of having to figure out everything alone and from scratch.

Definition of "share":
# give out as one's portion or share
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

[Edited at 2008-07-02 20:34]

Nigel Greenwood (X)
Nigel Greenwood (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
If you share, are you smart? Jul 2, 2008

I think sharing is not being smart, well at least, not the way SMART is understood these days. Sharing is being human, being kind, professional, intelligent and of course responsible.

Being SMART implies, being selfish, looking out for your own benefit.

I like sharing, but NO I AM NOT SMART.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
No, dear Nigel... Jul 2, 2008

Nigel Greenwood wrote:

I think sharing is not being smart, well at least, not the way SMART is understood these days. Sharing is being human, being kind, professional, intelligent and of course responsible.

Being SMART implies, being selfish, looking out for your own benefit.

I like sharing, but NO I AM NOT SMART.

No....if you like sharing in the way you describe, then you are SMART in the truest sense of the word!

Amy

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
What's the point? Jul 2, 2008

humbird wrote:

I don't know why I should bother.
Please let me be candid, then I say this unto you ....

"This is the stupidest question I ever come across."

Are you out of poll question questions?

[Edited at 2008-07-02 19:45]

To be cynical:
How many points does one get for having a poll published???

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Smart poll ;-) Jul 3, 2008

I think vague polls allow us to expand on our opinions and lead to better discussions here. What's the point of having everything explained and defined for us just to say a), b), or c) and leave? But then, maybe it's because of my age. I couldn't make it to the multiple-choice generation

In my opinion, smart translators share, and out of sheer selfishness, if you will. Amy explained it very nicely: the more you give,
... See more
I think vague polls allow us to expand on our opinions and lead to better discussions here. What's the point of having everything explained and defined for us just to say a), b), or c) and leave? But then, maybe it's because of my age. I couldn't make it to the multiple-choice generation

In my opinion, smart translators share, and out of sheer selfishness, if you will. Amy explained it very nicely: the more you give, the more you take and the more you are entitled to ask for. Also, if you are smart -and we all are- you think in terms of your business and trade interests. As Oleg does. And you also want to help newcomers by sharing all you have learned, with a view to perpetuating your trade. Because being smart is not only a momentary outpour of intelligence, it's about seeing the long-term (see Muriel's definition).
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Smart translators share. Do you agree?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »