Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: How do you charge for proofreading projects?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 24, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How do you charge for proofreading projects?".

This poll was originally submitted by Luciana Lovatto

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How do you charge for proofreading projects?".

This poll was originally submitted by Luciana Lovatto

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Kai Döring
Kai Döring  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 13:41
English to German
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Hard to say upfront! Jul 24, 2008

I do not have that many proofreading jobs but most of the time I am charging 50 % of my normal rate or a fixed rate for the job.

But it is very hard to give a quote before you actually saw the text since it depends how the text was translated.

Greetings!

Chris Weimar (M.A.)
Chris Weimar (M.A.)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:41
English to German
+ ...
with - mit - Kai Jul 24, 2008

Same here. Well done, Kai. So kann würd' ich 's auch halten.

Grüße!

Wer liest mir denn jetzt meinen Text korrektur? lol

[Bearbeitet am 2008-07-24 13:30]

Xanthippe
Xanthippe
France
Member (2008)
Italian to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
between 40 and 60 % Jul 24, 2008

but I usually do not have so much proofreading jobs.

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
To speak clearly Jul 24, 2008

I invoice 25% of the translation rate for editing/proofreading. The problem being that, generally, what I have to edit/proofread is so badly translated that I have to re-translate the whole document. So, it takes so much time to explain why to the client, which may even reply "just proofread as agreed, please"((,that now I refuse nearly all editing/proofreading jobs, except for some rare regular clients who do know that if I say "... See more
I invoice 25% of the translation rate for editing/proofreading. The problem being that, generally, what I have to edit/proofread is so badly translated that I have to re-translate the whole document. So, it takes so much time to explain why to the client, which may even reply "just proofread as agreed, please"((,that now I refuse nearly all editing/proofreading jobs, except for some rare regular clients who do know that if I say "it's bad", it's because it is really bad.
Catherine
Collapse

Julianne Rowland
Julianne Rowland  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:41
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Hourly Charge for Proofreading/Editing Jul 24, 2008

I just charge my hourly rate. That way, if the translation requires a lot of reworking, then I am compensated for my effort.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:41
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Other Jul 24, 2008

I always ask the company/client to see the text first, then I work out a rate based on the quality of the translation. If it's really bad, I charge my full translation rate.

Amy

Anne Wosnitza
Anne Wosnitza  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to German
+ ...
Wrong click! Jul 24, 2008

I misclicked and said 90 % - 70 % instead of 10 % - 5 % ... Sorry for falsifying the results!

Nevertheless, I think that proofreading should not be charged much less than translating. Because true is, that you don't have to translate anymore (in case the translation is fine), but it is also true that you have all the correction work to do in case the translation is bad. And this can even be much harder and more time consuming than the actual translation was.

I actually
... See more
I misclicked and said 90 % - 70 % instead of 10 % - 5 % ... Sorry for falsifying the results!

Nevertheless, I think that proofreading should not be charged much less than translating. Because true is, that you don't have to translate anymore (in case the translation is fine), but it is also true that you have all the correction work to do in case the translation is bad. And this can even be much harder and more time consuming than the actual translation was.

I actually agree with Julianne and think that one is much better off charging an hourly rate.

Anne

[Bearbeitet am 2008-07-24 13:51]
Collapse

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:41
Spanish to English
Hourly rate Jul 24, 2008

I charge an hourly rate, because there is so much difference in quality between one and another.

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:41
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Hourly rate (equivalent to translation) Jul 24, 2008

The two services, translation and revision, cannot be compared in terms of rate, as the first is normally quoted on the basis of the lenght of the text, and for revision I usually quote a rate per hour.

The final outcome, in terms of daily income, is equivalent to a day translating. I don't mind if my time is spent reviewing rather than translating, but at the end of the day I want to have the same amount to invoice.

The quantity depends in great measure on the quality
... See more
The two services, translation and revision, cannot be compared in terms of rate, as the first is normally quoted on the basis of the lenght of the text, and for revision I usually quote a rate per hour.

The final outcome, in terms of daily income, is equivalent to a day translating. I don't mind if my time is spent reviewing rather than translating, but at the end of the day I want to have the same amount to invoice.

The quantity depends in great measure on the quality of the translation, so if I have a chance to examine the text in advance, I may quote for a number of hours. If the text is not available, I just note the time needed and invoice accordingly.

Gianfranco
Collapse

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 01:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Proofreading vs. editing Jul 24, 2008

For proofreading (i.e., final quality control to check for typos, misspellings and similar minior mistakes in the translated text only), 10% - 20$ of my translation rates for the same project.

For edition (which it seems to me is how the term "proofreading" was understood by the colleagues who have answered)... it's hard to say since (a) I hardly do it (b) because I really dislike that job, but rates vary between 30% and 50% of my usual translation rates for the project (depending o
... See more
For proofreading (i.e., final quality control to check for typos, misspellings and similar minior mistakes in the translated text only), 10% - 20$ of my translation rates for the same project.

For edition (which it seems to me is how the term "proofreading" was understood by the colleagues who have answered)... it's hard to say since (a) I hardly do it (b) because I really dislike that job, but rates vary between 30% and 50% of my usual translation rates for the project (depending on how much needs to be fixed).

Greetings
Collapse

Luciana E. Lovatto
Luciana E. Lovatto  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
Quite difficult to find a rate! Jul 24, 2008

I proposed this poll, because I wanted to hear from other colleagues. My personal experience is that I have spent a great part of my career editing. I agree with Gianfranco in the sense that at the end of the day the invoice may be quite similar to the one you get for a translation work. But, personally, I think that editing is much more stressing than translating, you have to re-translate the sentences in your mind and somehow compare them with what the translator wanted to say, pay attention t... See more
I proposed this poll, because I wanted to hear from other colleagues. My personal experience is that I have spent a great part of my career editing. I agree with Gianfranco in the sense that at the end of the day the invoice may be quite similar to the one you get for a translation work. But, personally, I think that editing is much more stressing than translating, you have to re-translate the sentences in your mind and somehow compare them with what the translator wanted to say, pay attention to details: spaces, punctuation, grammar, formatting, terminology and sometimes you have to re do the whole project again. I find very difficult to find a fair rate for edition and proofreading projects, since I think that there is much more effort involved in this process.

[Edited at 2008-07-24 16:04]
Collapse

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Definitely hourly rate Jul 24, 2008

I always charge an hourly rate.
Some texts, like the ones I get from University lecturers who write their own papers and just want them checked, can be done very quickly.
Then there are other clients who think the girl in the office can write decent English.... and by the time I've finished with it they'd have been cheaper getting it translated from scratch!

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:41
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I charge by the hour Jul 24, 2008

By the hour, of course. That way I don't lose out if the job turns out to be time-consuming. If the client doesn't like my hourly rate I don't accept the job.
Kind regards
Jenny

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hourly rate &/or equivalent (Other) Jul 24, 2008

Why should it be less?

Consider that on average proofreading can be about 240% - 320% faster. Of course, that depends on the text, so you might as well calculate your hourly translation rate and charge that.

(You're not going to be running out of words, but time).

[Edited at 2008-07-24 16:07]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you charge for proofreading projects?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »