Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you file hard copies of your translations?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 15:49
SITE STAFF
Jul 25, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you file hard copies of your translations?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hard copy file? Jul 25, 2008

Good grief, why would I want to keep all that stuff in hard copy? It would fill entire rooms. I keep it on my hard drive and can easily search it there if needed.

Reed James
Chile
Local time: 18:49
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
That would make no sense at all Jul 25, 2008

The only hard copies that I keep are contacts and accounts. That way, whatever happens to my computer, broadband connection or power supply, I can still pull out a sheet a paper and go from there.

Even if there were a point in printing everything out, I simply wouldn't have the time to make printouts and organize. There are better and more rewarding things I can do with my time.

xanthippe  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:49
Italian to French
+ ...
no .... Jul 25, 2008

I agree with Henry and Reed !

Sometimes, I also destroy files (if request by the client).

Diana Arbiser  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Definitely not! Jul 25, 2008

Why would I want to kill so many trees?

Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 19:49
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

A complete of waste of trees and space Jul 25, 2008

My thought exactly.

I also agree that so much paper would take up an entire room in my small apartment.. And how would I find a term/phrase in these hard copies? Just thinking about this gives me the chils

Cheers!

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Reminds me a bit of something Umberto Eco said Jul 25, 2008

Henry Hinds wrote:

Good grief, why would I want to keep all that stuff in hard copy? It would fill entire rooms. I keep it on my hard drive and can easily search it there if needed.

... to the effect that one should actually get paid for receiving books as gifts, at the rate of the square foot in Milan

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Some Jul 25, 2008

I don't keep hard copies of 'regular' translations but I do keep copies of all my certified translations. If clients need more copies in the future, as they sometimes do, I will need both the source document and my translation plus my covering declaration with the original date on it. The source documents don't always come in electronic form, so I find it easier and safer to keep all the hard copies.

Luciana E. Lovatto  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:49
English to Spanish
No need to do so Jul 25, 2008

Diana Arbiser wrote:

I couldn't agree more with you. Apart from that there are so many options to store a file without printing it.

Have a nice weekend!
Luciana

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:49
English to Arabic
+ ...
Missing option: Most certainly not!! :-) Jul 25, 2008

But "No" was a good enough answer.
Still waiting to hear from the 20% or so who replied that they do..

Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Of course, I do! Jul 25, 2008

Keeping hardcopies for say 5 years has saved me a lot of time, when similar work has come up I would never find again on the Harddisk. It is a question of oganizing oneself in order to make use of old translations. And I do not trust the harddisk to live forever. And besides: what's on paper is by far better readable than the small section you get on the screen. The dream of the "paperless office" is out.

[Bearbeitet am 2008-07-25 19:40]

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:49
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Most certainly not Jul 25, 2008

Before I became a full-time freelancer four and a half years ago, I had bought some hard copy classic books to read. I haven't found the time to read some of them since then. I see no reason to save hard copies of something I have already read. Electronic files do in this case for reference. What is more, I have (just like many of you] translated huge manuals that no one else in the whole world reads in its entirety, except for the proofreader. It doesn't make sense to me keeping trees in a waste bookshelf.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:49
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Exceptions... Jul 25, 2008

I'm a true tree-hugger and conservation activist, so I always think about the trees before I print anything.

However, I have to confess, before we had computers, I used to save the translations I was proud of. They all got destroyed in a flood - and of course, I don't miss them at all.

But that was before we had electronic files. Today, the only reason would be if the translation became a book that I would want to keep on my shelf. I happen to have several of those. Some of the books are just plain pretty. In another case, I did an 800-page manual on zoonoses, but I did them one file at a time (1 per disease, several hundred diseases), and the files were numbered by the client with no clue as to what they contained. I wasn't smart enough to re-label them. So even though I have the files, it's easier to search the hard copy.

P.S. I also own copies of books translated by colleagues who are close friends.

[Edited at 2008-07-25 21:18]

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I keep hard copies of everything Jul 25, 2008

I can also tell you one or two good reasons for doing so.

Firstly, I live in Germany. In Germany we officially have to keep copies of the translations for a certain number of years, and also copies of the e-mail corresponding arranging to do them, plus invoices and such like, for a full 10 years. It is safest to keep these copies on paper, as electronic copies are so unreliable. Just by way of example, both my PC and my external hard disk broke irrepairably this month! (They had both reached the ripe old age of just over a year old, so you never know when these things might happen.)

Secondly, it is terribly hard on the eyes to read everything on screen all the time. It is much kinder to the eyes to read things on paper. I translate ongoing court cases. However, I translate on the various cases, typically, in rotation. Only the latest translation is always fresh in my mind. That means that I continually have to re-read previous instalments of the story each time I pick up a case again. The quickest way to do this is to have these instalments neatly filed, in paper files, and just be able to read through them, like a book. I simply could not do that on screen.

Astrid

P.S. As for trees...... why, you just buy 100% recycled paper, and then pop it back in the paper recycling bin one day...... to be 100% recycled again. What's wrong with that?

[Edited at 2008-07-25 20:54]

Sonja Kroll  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Convincing alternative... Jul 25, 2008

...are you really printing out all your email traffic? Or just the POs? (Awesome anyway; I am not that straight...)

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you file hard copies of your translations?

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs