Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: While reading a novel, do you jot down the phrases you like?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 4, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "While reading a novel, do you jot down the phrases you like?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 08:04
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
I think that the poll should also contain an option: Aug 4, 2008

I don't read any novel.

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
two favourites Aug 4, 2008

"listened on tiptoe" (Conrad, Heart of Darkness)

"el tábano de la soledad" (Sepúlveda, Un viejo que leía novelas de amor). Explanation: this kind of insect bite is painful rather than itchy

I'd love to see other people's examples.

Lucía

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 21:34
Spanish
+ ...
The aquarium Aug 4, 2008

I keep notebooks with all sorts of annotations, including my favorite lines or sentences from the books I love. One of the segments that completely blew my mind--and made me adore him even more, was written by the great late Alain Robbe-Grillet, translated by the great Richard Howard: the aquarium. I'm not gonna write it down (because I'm lazy), but I took a screen-shot of the paragraph:

See more
I keep notebooks with all sorts of annotations, including my favorite lines or sentences from the books I love. One of the segments that completely blew my mind--and made me adore him even more, was written by the great late Alain Robbe-Grillet, translated by the great Richard Howard: the aquarium. I'm not gonna write it down (because I'm lazy), but I took a screen-shot of the paragraph:

I've read it so many times and it still gives me goosebumps.

[Edited at 2008-08-04 15:51]

[Edited at 2008-08-04 16:46]
Collapse

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 22:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
YES! Aug 4, 2008

Though instead of jotting them down in a notebook/notepad, I underline them (in lead pencil only) and jot down notes regarding the quote on the margins of the book itself. An offense that I've been told many times over that is worthy of capital punishment (or close)

Greetings!

Andrea

maria skiba
maria skiba
Germany
Local time: 04:34
Polish to English
+ ...
notebooks Aug 4, 2008

Yes, I keep a notebook (or 2) too, with lots of little phrases, even words that I 'might' use one day. I have actually managed to use some of this in my work and it is not only inspiration (Claudia, your example does give goosbumps!)
but I think it also develops our creativity with the language, any language....

maria

Heidi C
Heidi C  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another "book mutilator"... Aug 4, 2008

Andrea Riffo wrote:

Though instead of jotting them down in a notebook/notepad, I underline them (in lead pencil only) and jot down notes regarding the quote on the margins of the book itself. An offense that I've been told many times over that is worthy of capital punishment (or close)

Greetings!

Andrea

This is exactly what I do.
If not, I end up with little pieces of paper all over the place, which I end up throwing away.

And this way, I always know where to find my annotations! (Now I also write down a sort of index at the end of the book with page numbers...)

I must confess I also dog ear pages to mark where I am... Please don't kill me!!!

[Edited at 2008-08-04 16:44]

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
heh Aug 4, 2008

Heidi C wrote:

I must confess I also dog ear pages to mark where I am... Please don't kill me!!!

Now THAT is worthy of capital punishment!:lol::lol:

(I use my business card as bookmarker, which serves a double purpose: I don't dog-ear my books and, since I always carry a book around with me, I always have a business card at hand in case I need it)

Greetings

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:34
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
When I read, I read, and read, and I don't do anything else Aug 4, 2008

How can you really get into a novel, and enjoy it at its maximum, if you're forever getting out a pencil and jotting things down?

Do you stop mid-sentence or end-sentence, or do you wait until the end of the paragraph? If I tried to do the former, I'd never get full satisfaction from the book. The latter would be quite impossible, as by the time I got to the end of the paragraph, I'd have forgotton what I meant to do.

My husband would second that - often I say "I'll
... See more
How can you really get into a novel, and enjoy it at its maximum, if you're forever getting out a pencil and jotting things down?

Do you stop mid-sentence or end-sentence, or do you wait until the end of the paragraph? If I tried to do the former, I'd never get full satisfaction from the book. The latter would be quite impossible, as by the time I got to the end of the paragraph, I'd have forgotton what I meant to do.

My husband would second that - often I say "I'll be with you when I get to the end of the paragraph / page." Half an hour later he says "have you finished the paragraph / page yet?" Of course, he knows that I've probably started the next chapter!

I do note words and expressions, but I believe that if I can't remember them later then they probably weren't very important. The main things I note are Americanisms (I'm British) and French slang, but they never get written down - the reading machine can't stop for anything!
Collapse

S_Angel (X)
S_Angel (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
All the time! Aug 4, 2008

Yes, it's one of the things I enjoy the most about reading. I have a notebook with my favourite sentences too, and it's one of the most precious things I own... reading it from time to time is simply priceless.

Lots of famous writers did that and now we read their comments along with the original works: if they were allowed to do it, why not us?

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Never Aug 4, 2008

I would not wish to plagiarize anyone. I don't make any notes, I just internalize things so then they may come back in a slightly different reincarnation when I need them.

That is not from novels, it is from work I translate, and I don't get to translate any novels.

Mara Ballarini
Mara Ballarini  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 12:34
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
When I read, I read and enjoy reading Aug 4, 2008

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I'm with you Sheila. You can't really get into a novel if you keep stopping to write things down. I remember at high school when I started reading novels in a foreign language and my knowledge of the foreign language was so poor I had to stop so many times to look up words in a dictionary...couldn't stand it! If something particularly caught my eye, then I make a mental note to go back to the part and jot down whatever I was interested in, and if I forget, well, there'll be another opportunity..

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

Local time: 23:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not novels Aug 4, 2008

I can't do it. I would like to do it, but I really can't. If I did it, I would feel very bad. The only books that I can underline are those that I use for studying. In that case, I don't feel so bad.
Regards,
Fernando

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
welcome to the club "reading just for Aug 4, 2008

Mara Ballarini wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I'm with you Sheila. You can't really get into a novel if you keep stopping to write things down. I remember at high school when I started reading novels in a foreign language and my knowledge of the foreign language was so poor I had to stop so many times to look up words in a dictionary...couldn't stand it!

...may I join to you or establish a club "reading just for ..."?

Ludmilla3
Ludmilla3
Local time: 12:34
English to Russian
Yes! Aug 5, 2008

Yes! I like to buy the cheap kind of publishing of the book. Then I feel free to underline the phrases which I like.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: While reading a novel, do you jot down the phrases you like?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »