Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How many CAT tools do you use?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 12, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many CAT tools do you use?".

This poll was originally submitted by Romina Fanzini

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. Fo
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many CAT tools do you use?".

This poll was originally submitted by Romina Fanzini

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Frits Ens
Frits Ens
Netherlands
Local time: 03:33
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
No CAT? Aug 12, 2008

A stunning 20 something percentage of participants of this quick poll indicates they do not use any CAT.
I seriously ask what kind of translators they are, or what kind of subject matter they are translating and in what quantities.
Unless you are translating literature (and even then) or poetry, a CAT can be sooo useful.
So anybody out there without a CAT, can you tell me why you choose not to use one?

Romina Fanzini
Romina Fanzini  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Italian
+ ...
Strange enough! Aug 12, 2008

I was surprised to see this result as well!When I suggested this poll, I thought about the possibility of translators not using CAT tools, but I didn't think the percentage would be so high!!
...Although it's probably true that those who actually don't use them work in the literary field!

I'd be thrilled to know your opinions!

Romina

lillkakan
lillkakan
English to Swedish
Not so strange Aug 12, 2008

The fact that plenty of translators don't use CAT tools has been covered by several polls, some very recent ones as well. If you're interested I suggest reading the old poll forum threads.

Personally I have 6 or 7 CAT tools installed on my computer currently, but I only have a paid copy of Trados/SDLX which I use alongside Wordfast as my main tool. The free versions of the other ones are quite enough for my needs. I keep all of them because regular clients of mine employ different
... See more
The fact that plenty of translators don't use CAT tools has been covered by several polls, some very recent ones as well. If you're interested I suggest reading the old poll forum threads.

Personally I have 6 or 7 CAT tools installed on my computer currently, but I only have a paid copy of Trados/SDLX which I use alongside Wordfast as my main tool. The free versions of the other ones are quite enough for my needs. I keep all of them because regular clients of mine employ different systems and with a few conversion tools and external glossary management tools, it's not that much of a hassle to use different programs.
Collapse

savaria (X)
savaria (X)
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
How about MemoQ? Aug 12, 2008

I use MemoQ.Anyone else out there ?

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
No CATS Aug 12, 2008

There are no CATS at my place except for the one that hangs out in front of my office.

Reasons:

1.- 37 years of experience.
2.- An excellent memory, except for "where did I put my glasses?"
3.- An overall mistrust of tools (a sudden desire to shoot my computer whenever it does something dirty on me); after all, I worked with pencil and paper for 15 years.
4.- Heaviest work (measured by the kilo) consisting of paper documents.
5.- A lot of variety
... See more
There are no CATS at my place except for the one that hangs out in front of my office.

Reasons:

1.- 37 years of experience.
2.- An excellent memory, except for "where did I put my glasses?"
3.- An overall mistrust of tools (a sudden desire to shoot my computer whenever it does something dirty on me); after all, I worked with pencil and paper for 15 years.
4.- Heaviest work (measured by the kilo) consisting of paper documents.
5.- A lot of variety in my work.
6.- A large file containing texts from former jobs that is repeated, and can be found.
7.- Excellent production, efficiency and quality the way I am now.
8.- A mentality that has said: "Don´t send me work anybody can do, send me work nobody can do" for 37 years.

Plus, I enjoy my work as it is now. With CATS I don't think I would enjoy it, but then again I have never tried it. I wouldn't mind just checking it out to see how it works, but it must also be remembered that curiosity killed the CAT.
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:33
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No CAT here either Aug 12, 2008

Too restrictive on style. I do not translate sentence by sentence.
Too expensive.
Too many errors and compatibility problems.
There is little repetition in the work I do.
There is no industry standard. Which tool to buy?

However, if Trados would lower its price to under $100 and fix all the bugs and errors, I may think about trying it.

[Edited at 2008-08-12 18:06]

Evelyn Leenen-van Dijk
Evelyn Leenen-van Dijk  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
3 CATs Aug 12, 2008

Hi there,

I use the SDL Trados 2006/2007 suites (Trados and SDLX) and SDL Passolo.
I also have Transit 3.0 Satellite PE, DVX Editor and Catalyst 7.0 Translator/Lite Edition installed, but I haven't used them much yet.

Groetjes,
Evelyn

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
other way round, Henry Aug 12, 2008

Henry Hinds wrote:

I wouldn't mind just checking it out to see how it works, but it must also be remembered that curiosity killed the CAT.

Although I am a Trados user, bearing in mind the limitations CAT tools place on your freedom of working, it could also be said that "the CAT killed curiosity".

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:33
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No CAT Aug 12, 2008

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

I support Henry's and Jeff's comments.

TRADOS could be an option but it's too expensive and complicated. Have you ever read its manual?

I am open to CATs in the future. Are their firms open to lower their costs?

Tatiana Lammers
Tatiana Lammers  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
No CAT Aug 12, 2008

I am with Henry and Jeff! It's better to rely on your memory and train it good than letting some machine take over and let your brain deteriorate.

[Edited at 2008-08-12 19:39]

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:33
Portuguese to English
+ ...
None for me, either Aug 12, 2008

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

Too restrictive on style. I do not translate sentence by sentence.
Too expensive.
Too many errors and compatibility problems.
There is little repetition in the work I do.

However, if Trados would lower its price to under $100 and fix all the bugs and errors, I may think about trying it.

[Edited at 2008-08-12 18:06]

Couldn't have said it better myself! Except I'd add that Trados should be Mac compatible.

Amy

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
CAT does not comply with reality Aug 12, 2008

I do not use CAT because the main problem in translating is to guess what the author actually wanted to say. No software can discharge you from this difficult job.

Mara Ballarini
Mara Ballarini  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 11:33
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
2 - 3 but one in particular Aug 12, 2008

I mainly use trados, but have and sometimes use wordfast and sdlx.
If it's not a requirement by the agency, I do tend to use a CAT tool anyway, because I've now got so used to them. In this case I generally choose Trados since I've become so familiar with it and have been building memories and glossaries for a while, which are extremely useful!!!

Vera Wilson
Vera Wilson  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
I use wordfast..call me a Mac Snob, if you like.. Aug 12, 2008

Just using the basic functions of a CAT tool like wordfast is so efficient, increases your TM, and doesn't block experience or the ability of working in all sorts of different fields at all. Just think of a text in a special field you have been translating a year ago (...or 25 years, in Henry's case ) for the same client. Honestly, do you recall exactly the term you chose then? And maybe you used two or even more expressions for o... See more
Just using the basic functions of a CAT tool like wordfast is so efficient, increases your TM, and doesn't block experience or the ability of working in all sorts of different fields at all. Just think of a text in a special field you have been translating a year ago (...or 25 years, in Henry's case ) for the same client. Honestly, do you recall exactly the term you chose then? And maybe you used two or even more expressions for one term in a different context? With a CAT tool it only takes a mouse click.

Each time, I cannot use my CAT Tool (because of working on odd formats, online platforms), I regret it.

I have seen Trados, but I am quite happy to just work with wordfast, even if I cannot quote for some jobs. It is just the right price, I have reinstalled it several times, and there is a really nice community out there. And - thanks for the proz.com Kudoz forum too, even if this is all "manual TM". Just imagine, how many terms are added each day.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many CAT tools do you use?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »