Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Which do you think is the most productive age in life for a translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:19
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Maybe "proficiency" is a better measure than "productivity"? Aug 15, 2008

It takes a number of years to build up speed. I used to teach translation at Georgetown University, and my beginning students would take 3 times longer than me to translate the same text - and even so, their work was laced with problems. I was in my 40s then, and they were in their early 20s. Honestly, I think it takes more than 10 years go get really productive in terms of raw speed. Being a simultaneous interpreter helps to build speed faster: interpreters are forced to learn to translate fast... See more
It takes a number of years to build up speed. I used to teach translation at Georgetown University, and my beginning students would take 3 times longer than me to translate the same text - and even so, their work was laced with problems. I was in my 40s then, and they were in their early 20s. Honestly, I think it takes more than 10 years go get really productive in terms of raw speed. Being a simultaneous interpreter helps to build speed faster: interpreters are forced to learn to translate fast or they don't survive in the business.

I never really lost the speed I achieved in my forties. While I may be less driven, less patient, and more inclined to be distracted, by now I know a lot of shorcuts to compensate for lost time. For one thing, I'm "wired" with jillions of formulaic solutions for handling challenging constructions. Whlie the young people are still figuring out how to solve a problem, I'm already on the next page. So in that sense, my productivity is always on the increase. I intend to continue building up my proficiency until my memory no longer serves me.
Collapse

lillkakan
lillkakan
Local time: 15:19
English to Swedish
Strange question Aug 15, 2008

I agree that a definition of "productivity" might actually be needed.

Productive in terms of working a lot (many hours) = in your 20s
A flexible life, you can choose to work late, work a lot - but you have less experience, need to spend more time doing research - translation speed is lower.

Productive in terms of translation speed = in your 30s and 40s (more experience)
More experience, accumulated glossaries, knowledge and contacts to speed up work.
... See more
I agree that a definition of "productivity" might actually be needed.

Productive in terms of working a lot (many hours) = in your 20s
A flexible life, you can choose to work late, work a lot - but you have less experience, need to spend more time doing research - translation speed is lower.

Productive in terms of translation speed = in your 30s and 40s (more experience)
More experience, accumulated glossaries, knowledge and contacts to speed up work.
But in your 30s and 40s many have children that take up time - you become less productive because you have family to care for.

Productive in terms of experience AND time to work = 50s and 60s
Plenty of experience and routine, but maybe when you reach your 50s and 60s you don't want to/need to work as much and thus you are less productive.

So, I chose 'other' simply because I think age is irrelevant in regard to productivity.
Collapse

Mike Hunter (X)
Mike Hunter (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:19
English to Flemish
+ ...
An Agency perspective Aug 15, 2008

This is an interesting discussion. In the UK and I suspect many countries age discrimination is illegal, so adverts that require a particular age of applicant are a definate "no".

When reading translators CVs I look for evidence of quality, and this doesn't depend only on experience, I think there are many factors, like qualifications, amount of exposure to source and target languages, etc. I think a key skill for a translator is attention to detail, and this is more about temperam
... See more
This is an interesting discussion. In the UK and I suspect many countries age discrimination is illegal, so adverts that require a particular age of applicant are a definate "no".

When reading translators CVs I look for evidence of quality, and this doesn't depend only on experience, I think there are many factors, like qualifications, amount of exposure to source and target languages, etc. I think a key skill for a translator is attention to detail, and this is more about temperament and approach to work than it is about age or experience.

Familiarity with the subject matter definately helps, hence working with the same area of expertese and regular clients makes a big difference.

Regarding ability at different ages, I have previously worked for a large organisation which employed people with a very wide range of ages, from people still at school to people in their 70s. I think there are definately some skills which are acquired with time, and others which people have from a young age.

In assessing experience, its all about the quality of the experience. On a recent addition of the "Apprentice" a popular TV show here in the UK, one of the candidates who was 23 said in an interview that he lacked experience because of his age, the interviewer responded by saying that at his age she was already the Chairman of a large football club!
Collapse

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 15:19
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
to Mike Aug 17, 2008

"I think a key skill for a translator is attention to detail"

very good point

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which do you think is the most productive age in life for a translator?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »