https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/112945-poll%3A_what_is_your_age_group.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: What is your age group?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 18, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What is your age group?".

This poll was originally submitted by Monika Coulson

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more in
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What is your age group?".

This poll was originally submitted by Monika Coulson

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:10
Portuguese to English
calendar or perceived age? Aug 18, 2008

Are we supposed to declare our age according to the calendar or according to how we feel? I voted "over 90" because it's been a hard morning.

Sanmar
Sanmar
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:10
Dutch to English
Any actual people over 90 still active in translating? Aug 18, 2008

I would love to know if there are any actual people over 80/90 still translating? The way things are going with the economy, pensions etc. makes me think that I may still be translating or having some other kind of business (or both!) after the official retirement age. Additionally, at the moment I do not feel that I would actually like to stop working altogether after the age of 60/65. However, at 90 I hope to be spending my days in a beautiful herb/medicinal garden contemplating the meaning of... See more
I would love to know if there are any actual people over 80/90 still translating? The way things are going with the economy, pensions etc. makes me think that I may still be translating or having some other kind of business (or both!) after the official retirement age. Additionally, at the moment I do not feel that I would actually like to stop working altogether after the age of 60/65. However, at 90 I hope to be spending my days in a beautiful herb/medicinal garden contemplating the meaning of life and so on...Collapse

savaria (X)
savaria (X)
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I am 26 Aug 18, 2008

I became 26 on 2 June 2008.And why is this question important?If somebody is young,that is only a current state of being.Somebody who is 26 now(like me),may(and hopefully will) be 62 or even 92 in a few decades.So I do not feel the importance of this question,especially not if some people make a joke out of it ,like my colleague called 'lexical',who humorously answered over 90.

I my ID is -unfortunately- not verified,so I cannot propose any questions(I would never give any money onl
... See more
I became 26 on 2 June 2008.And why is this question important?If somebody is young,that is only a current state of being.Somebody who is 26 now(like me),may(and hopefully will) be 62 or even 92 in a few decades.So I do not feel the importance of this question,especially not if some people make a joke out of it ,like my colleague called 'lexical',who humorously answered over 90.

I my ID is -unfortunately- not verified,so I cannot propose any questions(I would never give any money only for having a tick in my profile,and I do not have any chance to go to a powwow in the next 30 years),but I think we should stick to professionally relevant questions.

[Módosítva: 2008-08-18 11:47]
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Bah humbug! Aug 18, 2008

zsugabubus wrote:

I think we should stick to professionally relevant questions.

[Módosítva: 2008-08-18 11:47]

Sorry, but I disagree! I think it's quite interesting to have an idea of the age profile of the translators out there, even if it doesn't change anything in a professional sense. There was a question some time ago suggesting that the polls need not always be rigidly translation-based and quite a large proportion of respondents seemed to think that the occasional fun question was no bad thing. Anything to lighten the load!

I'm 47, by the way, so right in the middle. As to how I feel, having woken up this morning with a stiff neck and a huge mound of work, that's a different matter entirely....

[Edited at 2008-08-18 12:14]

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 05:10
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
40... Aug 18, 2008

... and ready for the second part

As we say in Spanish: "listo para el segundo tiempo".

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Bah Humbug II Aug 18, 2008

zsugabubus wrote:

I think we should stick to professionally relevant questions.

Well it sure beats wacky threads on wrinkled dogs and showmen

Back on topic: in the 30-39 age group for a couple of years still.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Interesting poll Aug 18, 2008

I am past retirement age and still going strong!

Amy

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
demographics definitely relevant Aug 18, 2008

zsugabubus wrote:
....I think we should stick to professionally relevant questions...

I certainly saw this coming and had to laugh. Very typical response to demographic-style polls (some of which I have authored) regarding age groups, identifying as male/female/other, number of children in the household, etc. Inevitably someone comments on the irrelevance and triviality of these polls.

I couldn't disagree more. Why is it that there are more female translators than male? (At least in our sample: http://www.proz.com/?sp=polls&sp_mode=past&action=results&poll_id=1474)
Does translation make it easier for people with children to work? How do these statistics compare with other occupations, and what is the reason for any differences? How do these statistics change over time and why? This is certainly more interesting to me than so-called professionally relevant issues like "What version of Windows do you use?" or "What's your processor speed?"

For the record: slightly towards the upper end of the 30-39 range.

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Both interesting and fun Aug 18, 2008

I'm 54, and until I was 50 I worked as a lawyer. So as a translator I feel young, but with lots of useful experience.

And I agree with Claire, it's very interesting to know the age group of other people we see on the page.

Lucía

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Very interesting question Aug 18, 2008

I agree with those who find this type of question interesting and fun. I'm sure that the comments we leave here on the board are just as interesting as the actual statistics that are collected (and obviously more fun).
Laughs aside, I think these forums are quite useful and help us know where the profession is going, share the experiences of our colleagues, and possibly know what to expect in the future.
In this case, for example, it's interesting to see that the vast majority of vot
... See more
I agree with those who find this type of question interesting and fun. I'm sure that the comments we leave here on the board are just as interesting as the actual statistics that are collected (and obviously more fun).
Laughs aside, I think these forums are quite useful and help us know where the profession is going, share the experiences of our colleagues, and possibly know what to expect in the future.
In this case, for example, it's interesting to see that the vast majority of voters are in the 20-49 group. I wonder if this is limited to ProZ users or if it is also true in the "real" world.
Have a nice Monday!
Laureana
Collapse

savaria (X)
savaria (X)
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
My thoughts about age and its importance(and how it should and should not) be considered Aug 18, 2008

I certainly agree that age is important.A 26-year-old cannot have as much experience as a 45,50,55,or 60 years old,that's inevitable.
But I really discourage any discrimination based on age,saying that ahhh,(s)he is only 20(or 22,or 26),so (s)he is unable to do the job,so I won't trust him/her.

I really discourage this kind of approach.

[Módosítva: 2008-08-18 13:56]

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bah Humbug III Aug 18, 2008

Lexical: calendar or perceived age?

Are we supposed to declare our age according to the calendar or according to how we feel? I voted "over 90" because it's been a hard morning.

That's not so offensive, is it?

I also felt young again last Friday (about 21) but come Saturday and Sunday, I felt like double my real age - 38 this December, so I can relate to what lexical's saying...

Zsugabubus: I think we should stick to professionally relevant questions.

If you thought it was irrelevant, why did you bother answering, Zsugabubus?

Lawyer-Linguist: Well it sure beats wacky threads on wrinkled dogs and showmen

She's got you there, fella.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Good Poll Aug 18, 2008

It is interesting to see the demographics out there, and interesting to revisit the poll on gender, mostly under 50 and twice as many females as males.

And it is no wonder people had a problem with the most productive age, they have nnot arrived there yet.

hakim_sm
hakim_sm
Sweden
Swedish to Arabic
+ ...
our age, yes its was the right question Aug 18, 2008

i m 38 and i would like to say bravo for this question.
experience = age

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is your age group?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »