Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:17
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
77 Aug 18, 2008

Someone asked if there were any members over 80. Not quite there yet, but not long to go...
If I hadn't kept my brain active by freelance translating, I think it would have turned into mush by now.

Wil Hardman (X)
Wil Hardman (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Interesting poll Aug 18, 2008

For me both a fascinating and relevant poll. I'm amazed that the demographic isn't slightly older. I see translation as a great profession for an older person, to keep the mind sharp and rest the body.

I'm 27 and have been translating for a few years but eventually plan to take a break to get out into the real world for a few years, then return when my body is past its peak

I'm also shocked that there are
... See more
For me both a fascinating and relevant poll. I'm amazed that the demographic isn't slightly older. I see translation as a great profession for an older person, to keep the mind sharp and rest the body.

I'm 27 and have been translating for a few years but eventually plan to take a break to get out into the real world for a few years, then return when my body is past its peak

I'm also shocked that there are more over 90s than under 20s (none so far!) although it seems the poll may have been skewed by people putting in how they feel rather than how old they are... hilarious.

My friends grandma is in her 90s and still a highly sought after literary editor, I wonder when a translator reaches their peak? I reckon in your 50s maybe- when you have most experience but before you start to forget everything
Collapse

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wow, Jack... Aug 18, 2008

...you've been in this business since 1953.

Spanning two millennia!!

And you don't look a day over sixty.

Yours,

Cheeky monkey

Give that man another medal and a cold beer.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Well conserved Aug 18, 2008

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I am 46.

Hey, no wrinkles.

Great poll!

I'm from the same harvest of '61. Wish I could say the same about wrinkles, but I've made peace with mine since they generally follow smile lines

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:17
Portuguese to English
+ ...
borderline Aug 18, 2008

I puse 30 to 39, but, I'm closer to my 40th birthday than my 39th now...

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Makes me wonder... Aug 18, 2008

... about the drastic percentage fall starting from the 50-59 age group (as compared to the 20-49 age group).

Are there really considerably less active translators aged 50 and up, or is it mainly the technology breach that's rearing it's head? What do you think?

Greetings

[Edited at 2008-08-18 17:28]

Age does not matter, aptitude is Aug 18, 2008

This is something I wanted to know for sometime, but too busy to suggest a poll in this regard.

I am in this business over two decades, on and off. I attended ATA conventions few times in the past.
Throughout my experience, my overall impression is that I belong to higher age bracket, and this poll again confirmed that.

But along with "prime" question few polls ago, I believe neither questions is irrelevant to how you are apt to the art and the science of translat
... See more
This is something I wanted to know for sometime, but too busy to suggest a poll in this regard.

I am in this business over two decades, on and off. I attended ATA conventions few times in the past.
Throughout my experience, my overall impression is that I belong to higher age bracket, and this poll again confirmed that.

But along with "prime" question few polls ago, I believe neither questions is irrelevant to how you are apt to the art and the science of translation.
Younger generation may have advantage in being (perceivedly) more suvvy on digital technologies, then so is older generation in the "art" part of this profession.
In conclusion, age does not matter, aptitude IS.

P.S.
"Hooray" to Jack. I will be there. Give me more time!
Few other endeavors in our life are more age-defying than linguistic activities.
This is closely related to right brain-left brain stuff. And LO! translation requires mobilization of the both.
Collapse

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
I'm "unyoung" Aug 18, 2008

I have the book "Fermata" to thank for that term.

The main character is 35 years old and he refers to himself as "unyoung". I think that this accurately describes my age.

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
Speaking seriously for once... Aug 18, 2008

...though my grandmother always said "You're as old as you feel"...

Jack Doughty wrote:

Someone asked if there were any members over 80. Not quite there yet, but not long to go...
If I hadn't kept my brain active by freelance translating, I think it would have turned into mush by now.

I'm not many years short of the official retirement age but like Jack I would hope to go on for quite a few more years, more to stop the brain going to mush as he says than for the money.

The problem is how to make that congenial. Ideally, I'd like to be able to pick and choose jobs, and not to be rushed - to say yes to that nice Spanish vineyard website and turn down the insurance policy in PDF and Arial 8 point that's required the day before yesterday. At the moment, I don't see a way of saying to clients, "Thanks, but your potential job is so boring, and I was just thinking of popping out for a paella valenciana".

There must be a happy medium here but I don't quite see it at the moment.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
54, alive and still kicking Aug 18, 2008

The thing is I didn't begin translating until I was almost 40 so I still feel relatively "fresh" about it and am glad to be in a profession were ageism is not such a hindrance. Zsougabubus (girl's name?) appears to be worried about being discriminated against because of his/her youth and possible lack of experience, when in most jobs it is the way other round! For example, if I were still teaching English I'd need to lie about my age to most younger students in order to gain their respect. In ... See more
The thing is I didn't begin translating until I was almost 40 so I still feel relatively "fresh" about it and am glad to be in a profession were ageism is not such a hindrance. Zsougabubus (girl's name?) appears to be worried about being discriminated against because of his/her youth and possible lack of experience, when in most jobs it is the way other round! For example, if I were still teaching English I'd need to lie about my age to most younger students in order to gain their respect. In fact, once when I was about 40 I told a class of 10 year olds I was 32 and they thought I was a right old coffin dodger...
I also plan to keep working as long as I can, because I have few/negligible pension entitlements or savings (the results of a misspent youth) and mainly because like most colleagues, I love my work.
Collapse

Stephen Gobin
Stephen Gobin
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Just turned 40 Aug 18, 2008

I turned 40 at the end of July, so only a few weeks ago, and I'm happy to be 40, with no grey hair and still with a schoolboy complexion !, though sadly offset with a bit of a stomach.

Can't say that I enjoyed being young and I wouldn't want to go back there for all the tea in China. And so here I am, enjoying the years tick by while translating German contracts and looking forward to my 50th!!!!

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
over 90 Aug 18, 2008

lexical wrote:

Are we supposed to declare our age according to the calendar or according to how we feel? I voted "over 90" because it's been a hard morning.

Excellent question I vote over 90 too - a hard day, hard week and hard month and in desperate need of vacation
Cheers to all young and unyoung, with and without wrinkles. The important thing is to stay young in your soul and heart.
I know I'm talking truism now Ewa

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:17
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Hilarious! Aug 18, 2008

lexical wrote:
Ideally, I'd like to be able to pick and choose jobs, and not to be rushed - to say yes to that nice Spanish vineyard website and turn down the insurance policy in PDF and Arial 8 point that's required the day before yesterday. At the moment, I don't see a way of saying to clients, "Thanks, but your potential job is so boring, and I was just thinking of popping out for a paella valenciana".

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yeah... Aug 18, 2008

...I bet Mondays are the worst day to ask about age, especially if you have been on a beautiful beach during the week-end (mine: Mahana Green Sand in Hawaii, Big Island)!

[Edited at 2008-08-18 21:15]

[Edited at 2008-08-18 21:19]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is your age group?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »